This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Elvetham Heath is a residential area and civil parish, containing around 2000 homes on a 311-acre (1.26 km2) site, just outside the north western boundary of the town of Fleet in the English county of Hampshire. Construction of Elvetham Heath began in the summer of 1999 and ended in June 2008. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 Census was 5,183.
Elvetham Heath was built on reclaimed pine plantation/heathland between the M3 motorway and the London-Southampton railway line, 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Fleet town centre. Formerly known as Railroad Heath, it previously belonged to the local Calthorpe Estate.
Elvetham Heath serves as a commuter area to local towns; Basingstoke some 12 miles (19 km) to the west, Reading is 16 miles (26 km) to the north and London is 37 miles (60 km) to the northeast. The development is located precisely midway between Southampton and London. It is adjacent to the M3 motorway, 12 miles (19 km) from the M4, and 14 miles (23 km) from the M25. Fleet railway station is approximately 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from the centre of the development.
The district has a Local Nature Reserve, Elvetham Heath LNR. It is managed by Hart District Council, with the intent to move it back to typical heathland, with some marsh areas. The area supports species including slowworms, lizards, and dragonflies. Rare breed cattle graze in the nature reserve during the summer and autumn.
- Hart District Council
- Elvetham Heath Parish Council
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "Elvetham Heath". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Map of Elvetham Heath". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Official site of Elvetham Heath Parish Council
- Elvetham Heath Primary School Site for Elvetham Heath's primary school
- heathforum.co.uk Heath forum for residents and businesses of Elvetham Heath - smartphone and tablet friendly
- Elvetham Heath Forum
- On The Heath Local community website and forum for Elvetham Heath