This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Elwood Edwards (born November 6, 1949) is an American voice over actor. He is best known as the voice of the Internet service provider America Online, which he first recorded in 1989. His greetings include "Welcome," "You've got mail," "You've got pictures," "You've got voicemail," "File's done." and "Goodbye.", all recorded in his own living room on a cassette deck. In 1989, Edwards's wife overheard online service Q-Link CEO Steve Case describe how he wanted to add a voice to its user interface. In October, Edwards's voice premiered on AOL's new program. The voice is only heard in the American version of the software. In the UK version, a female voice is heard replacing "Welcome." with "Welcome to AOL." and "You've got mail." with "You have e-mail." Also "File's done." is replaced with "Your files have been transferred."
He started in radio while in high school. After high school he continued into television, working as a live booth announcer. Despite some on-air work, doing a car commercial, reporting news or sports and even a short stint as a weatherman (once proclaiming to New Bern, North Carolina that "You've got hail."), Edwards focused mainly on off-camera work.
On the March 4, 2015 episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Edwards appeared on screen to read humorous phrases. As of November 2016, Edwards was seen on Instagram and YouTube working as an Uber driver.
- News Graphics Supervisor, WKYC-TV
- General Manager, KVVV
- Operations Manager, WAKC-TV
- Ops Supervisor/ Senior Director, WFTY-TV
- Production Mgr / Senior Director, WCTI-TV
- Senior Director, WITN-TV
- Announcer/Director, WNBE-TV
- Announcer/DJ, WHIT-AM
- Uber Driver
- Sittenfeld, Curtis (1998-09-30). "He's the Voice of the Net Generation". Fast Company. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Where Are They Now? Elwood Edwards". Cleveland Magazine. December 2009.
- Kim, Eun Kyung. "'You've got mail' guy: I recorded phrase on a cassette in my living". Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Home page of El Edwards, the Voice of "You've got mail"". 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-06-13.
- "Watch The 'You've Got Mail' Guy Read Ridiculous One-Liners on 'Fallon'". Above Average. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Trant23 (2016-11-07), AOL Youve Got Mail Guy Is Now An Uber Driver In Ohio, retrieved 2016-11-08
- Bruner, Raisa (November 8, 2016). "This Woman Got an Uber Ride from the Voice Behind AOL's Iconic 'You've Got Mail' Message". TIME. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Haidet, Ryan C. (March 27, 2014). "Meet the local voice of AOL's 'You've Got Mail'". WKYC. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Brandee Barker on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
|This article about an American voice actor born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|