Bibić in 2018
|Born||8 January 1999|
Karajukića Bunari, Sjenica, FR Yugoslavia
|Height||1.97 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||70 kg (154 lb)|
|Coached by||Rifat Zilkić|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||1500m: 3:37.79 |
|Updated on June 10, 2019.|
Elzan Bibić (Serbian Cyrillic: Елзан Бибић; born 8 January 1999) is a Serbian middle and long-distance runner. He won a bronze medal in the U20 category at the 2018 European Cross Country Championships.
|“||"I discovered [Elzan] by chance, like dear God sent him. I know everyone else is surprised at his latest results, but I'm not in the slightest. I didn't doubt he was going to win in Tbilisi in the 3000 meters, maybe he could have won in the 1500." -Bibić's coach, Rifat Zilkić in August 2015.||”|
On July 7, 2017, he won a 3000-meter race at a track meet in Zenica, after which he felt knee pain. Shortly afterwards he was diagnosed with damaged ligaments in his knee, his first serious injury.
On September 4, 2018, Bibić ran a personal best of 3:37.79 in the men's 1500 meters at the Hanžeković Memorial meet in Zagreb, finishing in last place among a deep international field led by first place finisher Elijah Manangoi.
Bibić was born in Karajukića Bunari, known as the "Siberia" of Serbia due to extremely cold temperatures which are frequently recorded there. Karajukića Bunari is above 1,000 meters in altitude, as it is located on a plateau called Pešter. Bibić went to a medical trade school in his hometown, Novi Pazar. His parents were athletes growing up. His father Murat played soccer and his mother Fatima played volleyball.
|2015||European Youth Olympic Festival||Tbilisi, Georgia||2nd||1500 m||4:01.62|
|2016||Balkan Indoor Championships||Istanbul, Turkey||1st||3000 m||8:16.72|
|European Youth Championships||Tbilisi, Georgia||8th||800 m||1:56.12|
|World U20 Championships||Bydgoszcz, Poland||11th||1500 m||3:51.58|
|2017||Balkan Indoor Championships||Belgrade, Serbia||1st||3000 m||8:06.98|
|2018||Balkan Indoor Championships||Istanbul, Turkey||1st||3000 m||8:08.34|
|Mediterranean Games||Tarragona, Spain||–||1500 m||DNF|
|World U20 Championships||Tampere, Finland||6th||1500 m||3:44.65|
|European Cross Country Championships||Tilburg, Netherlands||3rd||U20||18:11|
|2019||Balkan Indoor Championships||Istanbul, Turkey||1st||1500 m||3:43.13|
|European U23 Championships||Gävle, Sweden||3rd||1500 m||3:50.90|
- 800 metres – 1:50.80 (Kruševac 2019)
- 1500 metres – 3:37.66 (Göteborg 2019)
- 3000 metres – 7:51.51 (Bergen 2018)
- 5000 metres – 13:34.99 (Hengelo 2019)
- "EAA profile". European Athletics. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Elzan BIBIĆ - Athlete Profile". IAAF. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- Prvoslav Lešević (August 13, 2015). "Nikada neću zaboraviti Tbilisi". Danas (in Serbian). Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- Prvoslav Lešević (October 1, 2017). "Vraća se nikad jači El' Bibo". Danas (in Serbian). Retrieved January 18, 2019.
-  68. Memorijal Borisa Hanžekovića - 1500 m Men - Results. September 4, 2018. Accessed January 18, 2019.