22.4.0 / May 17, 2023
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
EmEditor is a lightweight extensible commercial text editor for Microsoft Windows. It was developed by Yutaka Emura of Emurasoft, Inc. It includes full Unicode support, 32-bit and 64-bit builds, syntax highlighting, find and replace with regular expressions, vertical selection editing, editing of large files (up to 248 GB or 2.1 billion lines), and is extensible via plugins and scripts. The software has free trial and after that it downgrades to free version, which still can handle huge files and regex.
EmEditor supports Unicode and provides tools for work with various character encodings. These features include automatic encoding detection, byte order mark support, file reload with a different encoding, and detection of encoding errors. EmEditor is able to use any encoding that Windows supports and converts between encodings with ease. The software searches for Unicode characters while opening Unicode file names.
EmEditor is capable of working with very large files. For large files up to 248 GB, rather than opening them in memory, EmEditor "spills them out" into disk space. For files over 248 GB, it uses its Large File Controller to edit separate sections of the file.
The following plug-ins are installed with EmEditor by default:
The program is scriptable using the Windows Script Host. The program's scripts are written in either JScript or VBScript. EmEditor can generally be scripted in any scripting language that supports Active Scripting. The program includes powerful macros.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2023)
Awards and nominations
- EmEditor Professional has been nominated for the Epsilon Award 2010. Later it won the second place of the award.
- EmEditor 10.0 was awarded a 5/5 Cows editor's rating on tucows.
- EmEditor won the Shareware Industry Award for 2008 in the Best Applications category.
- EmEditor 8.00 was awarded a 5/5 stars Editor's Rating on CNET's Download.com on November 18, 2008.
- "EmEditor v22.4.0 released (including technical review)!". emeditor.com. Retrieved 22 May 2023.
- "EmEditor Professional review". PC Advisor. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- EMEDITOR FREE
- ZDnet Article
- CSE HTML Validator plug-in (32-bit) Retrieved 2012-10-03
- CNET Download.com Review Retrieved on 3 March 2009.
- "The Epsilon Award – the nominated of 2010". Archived from the original on 2010-12-18. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Download EmEditor Professional – Shareware Software – Tucows Retrieved on 29 July 2010
- "Shareware Industry Awards 2008". Archived from the original on 2009-04-09. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- CNET Download.com EmEditor page Retrieved on 12 March 2009.