October 16, 1964
|Alma mater||Yale University (B.A.)
University of Tokyo (M.A.)
Harvard University (Ph.D.)
Emanuel Pastreich (born in Nashville, Tennessee, 1964) is an American academic mainly active in Korea. Pastreich is an associate professor at Kyung Hee University and director of The Asia Institute in Seoul, who writes on both East Asian classical literature and current issues in international relations and technology.
Pastreich attended Lowell High School in San Francisco, graduating in 1983. He began his studies at Yale University, where he graduated with a B.A. in Chinese in 1987, and during college studied abroad at National Taiwan University. Pastreich obtained an M.A. in comparative literature at the University of Tokyo in 1991, where he wrote the master’s dissertation, Edo kôki bunjin Tanomura Chikuden: Muyô no shiga" (The Late Edo Literatus Tanomura Chikuden; The Uselessness of Painting and Poetry), entirely in Japanese. He then returned to the United States and in 1998 received his Ph.D. in East Asian studies at Harvard University. He served as assistant professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, George Washington University, and Solbridge International School of Business. Pastreich is an associate professor at the College of International Studies, Kyung Hee University.
Government public service
Pastreich previously served as an international relations adviser to the governor of Chungnam Province, as an external relations adviser at the Daedeok Innopolis research cluster, and was appointed to serve on the committee for city administration (2010-2011) and for foreign investment (2009-2010) for the city of Daejeon.
Pastreich is director of The Asia Institute, a think tank that conducts research on the intersection of international relations, the environment and technology in East Asia. Previously, he served as advisor for international relations and foreign investment to the governor of Chungnam Province (2007-2008). Pastreich served previously as director of the KORUS House (2005-2007), a think tank for international relations housed in the Korean Embassy in Washington D.C., and as the editor-in-chief of Dynamic Korea, a journal of the Korean Foreign Ministry that introduces Korean culture and society.
His writings include the books The Novels of Park Jiwon: Translations of Overlooked Worlds, a collection of the novels of Korea's critical pre-modern author, The Visible Vernacular: Vernacular Chinese and the Emergence of a Literary Discourse on Popular Narrative in Edo Japan, a study of the reception of Chinese vernacular literature in Japan, and Earth Management: A Dialogue on Ancient Korean Wisdom and its Lessons for a New Earth. His Korean publications include Life is a Matter of Direction, not Speed: A Robinson Crusoe in Korea, a description of his experiences living in Korea, Scholars of the World Speak out About Korea's Future, a series of interviews with leading scholars such as Francis Fukuyama, Larry Wilkerson and Noam Chomsky about contemporary Korea, and Earth Management: Finding the Answer in the Hongik Tradition, a consideration of the importance of traditional culture in an age of ecological crisis. His Chinese publication is Searching for the Truth on Both Sides of the Ocean, in which he suggests a new paradigm for Sino-American relations and explores the value of traditional Chinese culture.
- The Novels of Park Jiwon: Translations of Overlooked Worlds (2011). Seoul: Seoul National University Press. ISBN 8952111761.
- The Visible Mundane: Vernacular Chinese and the Emergence of a Literary Discourse on Popular Narrative in Edo Japan (2011). Seoul: Seoul National University Press. ISBN 895211177X.
- (in Korean) Insaeng eun sokdo ga anira banghyang ida: Habeodeu baksa eui hanguk pyoryugi (Life is a Matter of Direction, Not of Speed: Records of a Robinson Crusoe in Korea) (2011). London: Nomad Books. ISBN 978-89-91794-56-6-03810.
- (in Korean) Segye seokhak deul hanguk eui mirae reul mal hada (Scholars of the World Speak Out About Korea’s Future) (2012). Seoul: Dasan Books. ISBN 978-89-6370-072-4
- (in Korean) Han'gukin man moreu neun dareun daehan min'guk (A Different Republic of Korea—About which only Koreans are Ignorant) (2013). Seoul: 21 Segi Books. ISBN 978-89-509-5108-5
- Selected Publications of The Asia Institute (2013). Seoul: The Asia Institute Press. ISBM 109788996984801.
- Earth Management: A Dialogue on Ancient Korean Wisdom and Its Lessons for a New Earth (2016); co-authored with Lee Ilchi. Seoul: Best Life Media. ISBN 9781935127895.
- (in Korean) Jigugyeongyoung Hongik e seo dap eul chatda (Earth Management: Finding the Answer in the Hongik tradition; co-authored with Lee Ilchi) (2016). Seoul: Hanmun Hwa. ISBN 9788956992860.
- (in Chinese) Kuahai qiuzhen: Hafo boshi lun zhongmei weilai (Searching for the Truth on Both Sides of the Ocean) (2016). Hong Kong: Milky Way Publishers. ISBN 9789996549427.
- "Faculty & Staff Homepage, College of International Studies, Kyung Hee University". Kyung Hee University. Retrieved April 11, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Kyung Hee PDF CV of Emanuel Pastreich" (PDF). Kyung Hee University. Retrieved April 11, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "The Reception of Chinese Vernacular Narrative in Korea and Japan, Emanuel Pastreich, Kyung Hee University". Princeton University East Asian Studies Program. October 1, 2012. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- "East Asia Colloquium Series: The Observable Mundane: The Reception of Chinese Vernacular Narrative in Korea and Japan". Yale University, The Council on East Asian Studies. October 3, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- Lee, Woo-young (July 26, 2011). "U.S. scholar explores Asian literature". Korea Herald. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Emanuel Pastreich (1999). "An alien vernacular: Okajima Kanzan's popularization of the Chinese vernacular novel in eighteenth-century Japan" (PDF). SJS. 11 (2): 39–49. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Arvind, Subadra (1 December 2012). "A new kind of scholar breaks ground in Korea". Asia Times Online. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Research, Innovation, Start-up and Employment (RISE) Keynote Speakers". Korean Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning. 21–22 May 2013. Archived from the original on 2 September 2013. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "[THE INTERVIEW] "창조경제 해법요? 전통문화를 공부하세요"". 한국경제매거진. 2014-02-25.
- Pastreich, Emanuel (July 9, 2015). "Call for Sanity on Sixtieth Anniversary of the Russell-Einstein Manifesto". huffingtonpost.com. Huffington Post. Retrieved October 24, 2015.
- B.A. degree at Yale taken from Circles and Squares blog run by Emanuel Pastreich (13 November 2012).
- Study abroat at National Taiwan University taken from Circles and Squares blog run by Emanuel Pastreich (15 November 2012).
- M.A. degree at Tokyo taken from Circles and Squares blog run by Emanuel Pastreich (13 November 2012).
- Shin, Gi-wook; Robinson, Michael (2001). Colonial Modernity in Korea. p. 441. ISBN 0674005945. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
See Emanuel Pastreich, "The Reception of Chinese Vernacular Narrative in Korea and Japan" (PhD diss., Harvard University, 1997), pp. 49-52
- Mellen, Brian (17 July 2006). "Debate about North Korea reaches students, faculty". Daily Illini. Archived from the original on 20 January 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Contact Information: Emanuel Pastreich". ACDIS, University of Illinois. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Simon, Ian D. (2011). "Plans of Mice and Men: From Bench Science to Science Policy". Yale J. Biol. Med. Yale University. 84 (3): 237–242. PMC . PMID 21966041.
- Ji, Sang-hyun (9 June 2008). [출범 1년 충남지사 정책특보단 '허 와 실':일부 특보에 성과 편중돼 연장 운영 재고 여론.."점검 우선" (in Korean). DT News. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "IASP 세계사이언스파크총회 D-4 대덕특구, 최종 준비 구슬땀" (in Korean). ETN News. 19 May 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
솔브리지 국제대학 엠마뉴엘 페스트라이쉬 교수, TP협의회 이진옥 회장, 충남TP 김학민 원장, 전경련 장국현 고문 등이다...
- 2010.10.07 Appointment to Committee on City Administration for Daejeon Metropolitan City from Circles and Squares blog run by Emanuel Pastreich (13 November 2012).
- 2012.12.11 Appointment to Committee on Foreign Investment for Daejeon Metropolitan City taken from Circles and Squares blog run by Emanuel Pastreich (13 November 2012).
- Pastreich, Emanuel (7 March 2013). "On Climate, Defense Could Preserve and Protect, Rather Than Kill and Destroy". Truthout. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Pastreich, Emanuel; Feffer, John (30 May 2013). 太平洋への転換から緑の革命へ： 気候変化を最大脅威と見なして [From Pacific Pivot to Green Revolution] (in Japanese). Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Weigand, Matthew (February 7, 2011). "An American in Daejeon: How a Literature Professor Ended Up Deep in Korean Policy and Business". Korea IT Times. Retrieved October 21, 2012.
- Kim, Susan I. (2007). Changes and Continuities in Second-generation Korean American Families (Ph.D.). City University of New York. p. 39.[permanent dead link]
- "From Hermit Kingdom to Global Hub: Seoul Reinvents its Cultural Identity". The Korea Society. March 29, 2006. Archived from the original on April 15, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- Pastreich, Emanuel; Lee, Ilchi (2016). "Earth Management: A Dialogue on Ancient Korean Wisdom and Its Lessons for a New Earth". books.google.com. Best Life Media. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- Ye, Jinsu (November 23, 2012). 한국, 춘추전국 周 닮아… 주변국에 `영감' 주는 나라 될 것 (in Korean). Munhwa Ilbo. Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- 페스트라이쉬, 임마뉴엘; 이, 승헌 (March 11, 2016). "지구경영, 홍익에서 답을 찾다". hanmunhwa.com. Hanmun Hwa. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- Pastreich, Emanuel (2014). "跨海求真". baike.baidu.com. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- "우리만 모르고 있는 대한민국의 저력". Gukminilbo. 2013-08-22.