Embakasi is a division of Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. It is located east of the central business district. As a resident to most of the Kenyans celebrities and also accommodates lots of factories.It is also one of the fast developing divisions in Kenya.
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, the main airport of Nairobi is located in Embakasi and it was known as Embakasi Airport when it was opened in 1958.
Embakasi is considered part of Nairobi's Eastlands area, lying to the south-east of Nairobi province and bordering locations in Eastlands proper such as Pipeline Estate, Tena Estate, and Makadara Estate. It borders South C and contains South B and slightly more than one third of Nairobi's Industrial Area and Export Processing Zones
Embakasi Division is divided into following locations:
Government and infrastructure
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority has its head office on the property of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Embakasi. The Kenya Airports Authority also has its head office at the airport.
Kenya Airways has its head office in Embakasi. African Express Airways has its head office on the grounds of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Embakasi. JetLink Express has its head office in the Freight Complex in Embakasi.
Embakasi is the location of an Inland Container Depot. Embakasi contains the bulk of the Nairobi portion of the Nairobi-Mombasa Highway. The Mombasa-Nairobi Standard Gauge Railway has a cargo station at Embakasi.
In 2010, a passenger railway branchline was proposed from Embakasi to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to relieve overcrowding on the adjacent road.
2011 petrol fire
In September 2011 at least 75 people burned to death after a petrol fire broke out in the division. The fire started when a fuel tank at a depot belonging to the Kenya Pipeline Company, spilled fuel into an open sewer running through Embakasi. Residents tried to scoop up fuel from the burst pipe and sewer, and were burned when the petrol ignited after someone threw a cigarette butt into the sewer.
- Embakasi Constituency, electoral constituency in Nairobi
- "Urban Poverty Estimates for Kenya's Provinces, Districts, Divisions and Locations". International Livestock Research Institute. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011.
- "Welcome to KCAA Archived 2010-02-13 at the Wayback Machine.." Kenya Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved on 14 January 2011. "The Authority’s head offices are currently situated at KAA Complex, JKIA in Nairobi."
- "Contact Us." Kenya Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved on 14 January 2011. "KCAA Headquarters KAA Complex, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Embakasi."
- "Home." African Express Airways. Retrieved on 21 June 2010. "African Express Airways Contacts: Nairobi: Airport North Road, JKIA"
- "Contacts Archived 2010-08-26 at the Wayback Machine.." JetLink Express. Retrieved on 27 June 2010. "Head Office Location: Freight Complex 1st Floor Embakasi"
- "Pipeline Fire Kills Dozens in Nairobi Slum". The Guardian. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2011.