Embassy of Russia in Kiev
|Embassy of Russia in Kiev|
|Address||27 Povitroflotskyi Prospekt, 04112 Kiev, Ukraine|
|Ambassador||Post vacant since 28 July 2016|
Applications for Russian visas are not received at this location but at 8 Kutuzova (~300 meters northeast of the Percherska metro station, enter from Arsenalna street) before 1 pm weekdays.
Following independence, Ukraine August 24, 1991 Russia recognized Ukraine's independence December 5, 1991. Diplomatic relations between Ukraine and Russia were established February 14, 1992 by the signing of the Protocol on the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Ukraine and the Russian Federation. August 6, 1992 the Russian Federation opened an embassy in Kiev.
During early March 2014, demonstrations were held outside the Russian embassy in Kiev in response to a Russian intervention in Crimea. On 14 June 2014 between 200 and 300 protesters overturned several cars of embassy staff and replaced the Russian flag with the battle flag of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army in protest against alleged Russian governmental involvement in the 2014 pro-Russian conflict in Ukraine. The protests were followed by "negotiations" (organised by the Security Service of Ukraine) between protesters and embassy-staff. In these the protesters demanded that the personnel of the Russian embassy "as a hotbed of anti-Ukrainian activities" should immediately leave Ukraine and that Russia should recognize that it was waging an undeclared war against Ukraine.
- Leonid Smolyakov (1991-1996)
- Yuri Dubinin (1996-1999)
- Ivan Aboimov (1999-2001)
- Viktor Chernomyrdin (2001-2009)
- Vsevolod Loskutov (2009), Chargé d'Affaires ad interim
- Mikhail Zurabov (2009-2016)
- Sergey L. Toropov (2016), Chargé d'Affaires ad interim
- Alexandr Lukashyk (2016-), Chargé d'Affaires ad interim
- Ukraine's MFA: Appointment of Russia's ambassador to Ukraine no longer on agenda, UNIAN (4 August 2016)
- О Посольстве РФ (in Russian). Embassy of the Russian Federation in Ukraine. Archived from the original on 2008-03-29. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- (Ukrainian) Activists gave their demands, Ukrayinska Pravda (14 June 2014)
- Litvishko, Pyotr (2015). "International Law Aspects of the Criminal Proceedings concerning the Attack on the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Kiev", in The Tragedy of Southeastern Ukraine. The White Book of Crimes, Ed. by Alexander I. Bastrykin (PDF) (2nd ed.). Moscow: The RF Investigative Committee. pp. 329–39. ISBN 978-5-9906835-2-5.
- Chernomyrdin dismissed as Russian ambassador to Ukraine
- Russian ambassador to Ukraine presents credentials to Yanukovych
- Ukraine president vows not to give up Crimea, The Guardian (7 June 2014)
Ukraine's Poroshenko sworn in and sets out peace plan, BBC News (7 June 2014)
Excerpts from Poroshenko's speech, BBC News (7 June 2014)
Ukraine’s President Poroshenko pushes for peace at inauguration, Euronews (7 June 2014)
Poroshenko offers escape for rebels but no compromise over weapons, Euronews (7 June 2014)
(Ukrainian) Speech by President of Ukraine during the inauguration ceremony. Full text, Ukrayinska Pravda (7 June 2014)
- (Russian) Embassy of Russia to Ukraine
- Treaty about condition of situating and servicing of diplomatic missions