Embassy of the United States, Islamabad
|Embassy of the United States in Islamabad|
|Location||Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, Islamabad|
|Website||U.S. Embassy in Islamabad|
The Embassy of the United States in Islamabad is the diplomatic mission of the United States in Pakistan. Ambassador David Hale is currently the United States Ambassador to Pakistan, as of November 2015.
It is one of the largest U.S. embassies abroad, with a staff of 2,500 people.
The first U.S. embassy in Pakistan was established on August 15, 1947 in Karachi, then-capital of Pakistan. When the capital was moved to Islamabad in 1960, a new embassy was constructed there. After being burned to the ground by extremists in 1979, security at the rebuilt embassy was heightened. Security was again significantly increased in the wake of the September 11 attacks in 2001. On 9 August 2013, the United States State Department evacuated most diplomats and all non-emergency staff from the consulate in Lahore, and U.S. citizens were warned not to travel there due to terror concerns.
In August 2015, a new embassy complex was inaugurated in the Diplomatic Enclave which would house the embassy, replacing the previous building. The complex was built at a cost of $85 million.
- Consulate General of the United States, Karachi
- Consulate General of the United States, Lahore
- Consulate General of the United States, Peshawar
- Americans in Pakistan
- Pakistan–United States relations
- 1979 U.S. embassy burning in Islamabad
- Attacks on U.S consulate in Karachi
- April 2010 U.S consulate and ANP attack
U.S Embassy in Islamabad
- "About Ambassador David Hale". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved December 2015. Check date values in:
- "U.S. Mission to Pakistan". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved July 2011. Check date values in:
- Davis, Raymond (2017-06-27). The Contractor: How I Landed in a Pakistani Prison and Ignited a Diplomatic Crisis. BenBella Books, Inc. p. 58. ISBN 9781941631850.
- "A Day of Terror Recalled". Washington Post. November 27, 2004. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "US Pulls Lahore Consulate Staff Over 'Threats'". Sky News. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- US embassy: New building inaugurated