|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Brazilian Air Force R-99A|
|Role||Airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) (R-99A)
Remote sensing (R-99B)
Maritime patrol (P-99)
|Primary users||Brazilian Air Force (R-99A/B)
Hellenic Air Force (R-99A)
Mexican Air Force (R-99A/P-99)
|Number built||11 (2 on order / 7 options) (R-99A)
|Developed from||Embraer ERJ-145|
The Embraer R-99 is the Brazilian Air Force military designation of the ERJ 145 civil regional jet. The R-99 series are equipped with Rolls-Royce AE 3007 turbofan engines. The military versions provide 20% more thrust than the civil version. The first flight was in 1999.
The R-99A/E-99/EMB 145 AEW&C is an Airborne early warning and control aircraft, equipped with the Erieye active electronically scanned array radar from Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson Microwave Systems) of Sweden. The FAB claims that it has 95% of the capability of the larger AWACS aircraft which are in service in the air forces of other nations. In 2008 the FAB redesignated the R-99A as the E-99, the factory name for the Embraer EMB-145SA (Surveillance Aircraft), a special military conversion of the passenger version of the Embraer ERJ-145LR.
The R-99B/R-99/EMB 145 MULTI INTEL is a remote sensing aircraft. It employs a synthetic aperture radar, combination electro-optical and FLIR systems as well as a multi-spectral scanner. The aircraft also possesses signal intelligence and C3I capabilities. In 2008 the FAB redesignated the R-99B as the R-99, the for the Embraer EMB-145RS (Remote Sensing), a special military conversion of the passenger version of the Embraer ERJ-145LR.
The EMB 145 MP is the maritime patrol version of the R-99. It shares much of the same sensor suite as the R-99B, but most visibly, lacks the multi-spectral scanner and the side-looking radar. It retains many of the C3I and ELINT capabilities of the R-99B. Mexico was the launch customer for this variant.
The P-99/ would be the ASW modification of the EMB 145 MP and would have four underwing hardpoints, which could be mounted with a variety of torpedoes and/or anti-ship missiles. No prototype with those modifications have flown yet.
- Indian Air Force –Platform Only- 3 EMB-145I to be fitted Indian w/LRDE developed AESA radar array, datalinks, IFF, RWR, MWR. First aircraft delivered from Brazil on 16 August 2012, the second in December 2012. The Air Force has option to buy another seven aircraft. Following a long “technology absorption” process, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has been selected as the Engineering and Life Support Agency (ELSA) for India's DRDO’s (Defence Research and Development Organisation) EMB-145i AEW&C mission systems, while Embraer will be responsible for supporting the aircraft.
Specifications (ERJ 140)
Data from Suppositions according to EMB 145 family specifications.
- Crew: 3; pilot, co-pilot, flight attendant
- Capacity: 44 passengers
- Length: 28.45 m (93 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 20.04 m (65 ft 9 in)
- Height: 6.76 m (22 ft 2 in)
- Wing area: 51.2 m² (551 ft²)
- Empty weight: 11,740 kg (25,900 lb)
- Loaded weight: 17,100 kg (37,700 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 21,100 kg (46,500 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce AE 3007A turbofan, 33.0 kN (7,420 lbf) each
- Maximum speed: 834+ km/h (518+ mph, Mach 0.78+)
- Range: 3,019 km + internal tanks (1,876 miles + internal tanks)
- Service ceiling: 11,278+ m (37,000+ ft)
- Rate of climb: 780+ m/min (2,560+ ft/min)
- Wing loading: 334+ kg/m² (68+ lb/ft²)
An Embraer EMB-145-SA AEW&C of the Mexican Air Force at Santa Lucia AFB.
An Embraer EMB-145H AEW&C of the Hellenic Air Force during delivery tests at Elefsis AB, Greece.
Embraer EMB-145-H AEW&C during trials in Halmstad, Sweden, before delivery to the Hellenic Air Force.
- Related development
- "Importancia da Embraer no Segmento de Defesa" (in Portuguese. Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora. Retrieved: 29 December 2011.
- 1 Greek Radar Aircraft for operation against Libya
- Hellenic Air Force: Embraer EMB-145H AEW&C
- Eshel, Tamir. "India Receives First EMB-145 AEW&C Aircraft." Defense Update, 16 August 2012.
- "Embraer defence unit to build on billion-dollar 2012". Flight Global, 20 August 2012. Retrieved: 20 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Embraer R-99A Erieye.|