|Brazilian Air Force R-99A|
|Role||Airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) (R-99A)|
Remote sensing (R-99B)
Maritime patrol (P-99)
|Primary users||Brazilian Air Force (R-99A/B)|
Hellenic Air Force (R-99A)
Mexican Air Force (R-99A/P-99) Indian Air Force
|Number built||6 (EMB-145-SA)|
|Developed from||Embraer ERJ-145|
The Embraer R-99 is the Brazilian Air Force military designation of the EMB-145-RS. It is an aircraft based on the ERJ 145 civil regional jet. The R-99 series are equipped with Rolls-Royce AE1 3007 turbofan engines. The military versions provide 20% more thrust than the civil version. The first flight was in 1999.
The R-99A/E-99/EMB 145 AEW&C is an Airborne early warning and control aircraft, equipped with the Erieye active electronically scanned array radar from Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson Microwave Systems) of Sweden. The FAB claims that it has 95% of the capability of the larger AWACS aircraft which are in service in the air forces of other nations. In 2008 the FAB redesignated the R-99A as the E-99, the factory name for the Embraer EMB-145SA (Surveillance Aircraft), a special military conversion of the passenger version of the Embraer ERJ-145LR.
The R-99B/R-99/EMB 145 MULTI INTEL is a remote sensing aircraft. It employs a synthetic aperture radar, combination electro-optical and FLIR systems as well as a multi-spectral scanner. The aircraft also possesses signal intelligence and C3I capabilities. In 2008 the FAB redesignated the R-99B as the R-99, for the Embraer EMB-145RS (Remote Sensing), a special military conversion of the passenger version of the Embraer ERJ-145LR.
The EMB 145 MP is the maritime patrol version of the EMB-145. It shares much of the same sensor suite as the R-99B, but most visibly, lacks the multi-spectral scanner and the side-looking radar. It retains many of the C3I and ELINT capabilities of the EMB-145-RS. Mexico was the launch customer for this variant.
The P-99/ would be the ASW modification of the EMB 145 MP and would have four underwing hardpoints, which could be mounted with a variety of torpedoes and/or anti-ship missiles. No prototype with those modifications were ever flown.
- Brazilian Air Force – 5 E-99s (undergoing modernization to E-99M, first delivery of which expected in the first half of 2020), 3 R-99s
- Indian Air Force –Platform Only- 3 EMB-145-I to be fitted Indian w/LRDE developed AESA radar array, datalinks, IFF, RWR, MWR. First aircraft delivered from Brazil on 16 August 2012, the second in December 2012. The Air Force has option to buy another seven aircraft. Following a long "technology absorption" process, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has been selected as the Engineering and Life Support Agency (ELSA) for India's DRDO's (Defence Research and Development Organisation) EMB-145i AEW&C mission systems, while Embraer will be responsible for supporting the aircraft.
An Embraer EMB-145-SA AEW&C of the Mexican Air Force at Santa Lucia AFB.
- "Importancia da Embraer no Segmento de Defesa" (in Portuguese.) Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora. Retrieved: 29 December 2011.
- A. Makris (21 March 2011). "Greece's Participation in Operation against Libya Costs 1 Million Euros Daily". Archived from the original on 1 February 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Embraer Defense and Security to modernize surveillance aircraft for the Brazilian Air Force". Archived from the original on 7 March 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "World Cup Overwatch: Brazil's AEW&C Modernization". Defense Industry Daily. 22 January 2013. Archived from the original on 2 February 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Saab receives order for upgrade of mission system Erieye for Brazil". News Powered by Cision. Archived from the original on 23 February 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- Barreira, Victor (13 May 2019). "Brazil seeks first modernised AEW&C aircraft in 2020". Jane's 360. Rio de Janeiro. Archived from the original on 13 May 2019. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- Hellenic Air Force: Embraer EMB-145H AEW&C Archived 2009-04-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "Embraer EMB-145 SA/RS (R-99A/B)". Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-11-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-07-30. Retrieved 2015-11-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Eshel, Tamir. "India Receives First EMB-145 AEW&C Aircraft." Archived 2012-08-17 at the Wayback Machine Defense Update, 16 August 2012.
- "Embraer defence unit to build on billion-dollar 2012". Archived 2012-08-25 at the Wayback Machine Flight Global, 20 August 2012. Retrieved: 20 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Embraer R-99A Erieye.|