|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Owner||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Operator||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||4,150 ft / 1,265 m|
Located about 6.2 kilometres (3.9 mi), by road, southeast of Embu's central business district, the airport lies to the immediate northeast of Don Bosco Boys' Secondary School, on Embu-Kiritiri Road.
This is approximately 144 kilometres (89 mi), by road and 105.5 kilometres (65.6 mi), by air, northeast of Nairobi International Airport, the country's largest civilian airport. The geographic coordinates of this airport are 00°34'08.0"S, 37°29'32.0"E (Latitude:-0.568890; Longitude:37.492221).
Embu Airport is a small civilian airport, serving the town of Embu and surrounding communities. Situated at 1,265 metres (4,150 ft) above sea level, the airport has a single asphalt runway 14/32, which measures 3,250 feet (990 m) in length.
In August 2016, Martin Wambora, the Governor of Embu County, announced that the county would, in partnership with the national government and foreign private investors, spend KES:10 billion (approx. US$100 million), to refurbish the airport to international standards, including the following upgrades:
- Lengthen the runway to 4,000 metres (13,000 ft)
- Build new terminal buildings
- Build warehouses
- Build a hangar
- Construct an airport apron.
- Globefeed.com (18 August 2016). "Distance between Embu, Kenya and Embu Airport, Embu, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Globefeed.com (18 August 2016). "Distance between Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya and Embu Airport, Embu, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Google (18 August 2016). "Location of Embu Airport, Embu County, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- GCMAP (18 August 2016). "Altitude And Length of Embu Airport Runway". Gcmap.com (GCMAP). Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Lucas Barasa, and Charles Wanyoro (18 August 2016). "Embu Airstrip upgrade set to cost Sh10bn, says governor Wambora". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 August 2016.