Emeritus Senior Living
|Founded||1993 (Renton, Washington)|
Emeritus Corporation doing business as Emeritus Senior Living was a provider of independent living, assisted living, Alzheimer's care, and skilled nursing for seniors living in Emeritus communities throughout the United States. The company was founded in 1993, and was acquired by Brookdale Senior Living (the largest company in the industry at the time ) in July 2014 after a $23 million punitive damages award against it in a civil lawsuit in 2013.
Emeritus specialized in assisted living services for seniors who need help with daily activities such as bathing, dressing, meals and medications management. Most communities also provided expert care for Alzheimer's and memory care residents, and offered respite stays for seniors who need short-term stays. Emeritus had locations in 47 states, with several facilities within each state.
An episode of Frontline which aired on July 30, 2013 documented the alleged neglect and physical abuses perpetrated on patients by employees of Emeritus. In one civil lawsuit, Joan Boice et al v. Emeritus Corporation, a Sacramento, California jury found Emeritus liable for neglect which apparently resulted in the 2009 death of a patient; the jury assessed the company $23 million in punitive damages. Following the broadcast, Emeritus established a website to dispute the allegations.
- "Assisted Living Executive Skincare - Senior Health & Fitness Guide". www.alfapublications.org. Archived from the original on 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-04-01.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Directory of Retirement, Senior Living and Assisted Living Communities". Emeritus Senior Living. Retrieved 2013-04-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Grunbaum, Rami (6 April 2013). "$23M verdict stings Seattle-based assisted-living giant Emeritus". Seattle Times. Retrieved 31 July 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kennedy, Eleanor (31 July 2014). "$2.8-billion Brookdale-Emeritus merger closes". Nashville Business Journal. Retrieved 31 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Life and Death in Assisted Living". Frontline. Retrieved 31 July 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mullaney, Tim (5 August 2013). "Emeritus will respond vigorously to sensationalized Frontline documentary company leaders say". McKnight's Long-Term Care News & Assisted Living.