Emerson playing for Chelsea in 2018
|Full name||Emerson Palmieri dos Santos|
|Date of birth||3 August 1994|
|Place of birth||Santos, Brazil|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2014–2015||→ Palermo (loan)||9||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 January 2018.
Emerson Palmieri dos Santos (born 3 August 1994), known as Emerson Palmieri or simply Emerson, is a Brazilian-born Italian professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Chelsea. Mainly a left back, he has been deployed as a left wing back and a left midfielder on occasion.
Internationally, Emerson played for his native Brazil at under-17 level, but later declared his desire to represent Italy, having been granted Italian citizenship in 2017. He has since been called up to the Italy national team.
Born in Santos, São Paulo, Emerson finished his formation in local Santos' youth categories, and made his first team debut on 17 April 2011, coming on as a late substitute for Keirrison in a 3–0 Campeonato Paulista home win against Paulista. His first start occurred on 21 January 2012, in a 1–1 away draw against XV de Piracicaba. In February, he returned to youth team, but in was called up to the match against Mogi Mirim in the following month. He also appeared against Ituano and Paulista, as the club was crowned champions of Paulistão for the third consecutive time.
On 25 August 2014, Emerson was loaned to Serie A's Palermo, with a buyout clause. He made his debut in the competition on 24 September, coming on as a second half substitute for Fabio Daprelà in a 3–3 away draw against Napoli.
Emerson played nine league matches for the club, being mainly a backup to another new signing, Achraf Lazaar.
On 31 August 2015, Emerson joined fellow league team Roma, on loan for one year. A second-choice behind Lucas Digne, he made his debut for the club on 4 October in a 4–2 away win against former side Palermo.
Emerson scored his first goal in the main category of Italian football on 14 May 2016, in a 3–1 away win against Milan; after replacing Stephan El Shaarawy in the 78th minute, he netted his team's third after a rebound. His loan was extended for a further season on 7 July.
Emerson missed much of the first half of the 2017–18 season due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury that he suffered in May 2017. He made his comeback on 1 December 2017, coming off the bench in the last 15 minutes of the match against SPAL for the Serie A, which turned out as his sole appearance for Roma during that season.
On 30 January 2018, Emerson joined English side Chelsea on a four-and-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee. According to Roma, the transfer fee was €20 million plus €9 million bonus. He made his debut against Hull City in the fifth round of the FA Cup, assisting fellow January signing Olivier Giroud for his first Chelsea goal. The Blues ran out 4-0 winners at Stamford Bridge.
Emerson represented Brazil at under-17 level during the 2011 South American Under-17 Football Championship and during 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup, being crowned champions of the former. He was an undisputed starter during both tournaments, scoring a goal against Chile on 16 March 2011.
In March 2017, after being close to acquiring Italian citizenship, Emerson was reportedly pursued by Italy head coach Gian Piero Ventura with the intention of switching his international allegiance to Italy. He officially switched allegiance to Italy on 29 March 2017.
- As of 16 February 2017
|Palermo (loan)||2014–15||Serie A||9||0||—||0||0||—||—||9||0|
- "Updated squads for 2017/18 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "Após estreia, revelação santista já fala em substituir Léo à altura" [After debut, Santos' pearl already talks about replacing Léo in the same level] (in Portuguese). Terra. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Lateral Emerson Palmieri e outros dois jogadores retornam à base do Santos" [Full-back Emerson Palmieri and two other players return to Santos' youth setup] (in Portuguese). Lancenet. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Muricy relaciona time reserva para encarar o Mogi Mirim" [Muricy lists reserve team to face Mogi Mirim] (in Portuguese). globoesporte. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Com pênalti polêmico, Fla vence reservas do Santos em má atuação" [With polemic penalty, Fla beats Santos' reserves in poor performance] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 17 June 2012.
- "Emerson Palmieri é emprestado ao Palermo" [Emerson Palmieri is loaned to Palermo] (in Portuguese). Santos' official website. 25 August 2014.
- "Napoli 3–3 Palermo". Football Italia. 24 September 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "AS Roma sign Emerson Palmieri". AS Roma official website. 31 August 2015.
- "Milan 1–3 Roma". Football Italia. 14 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Empréstimo de Emerson, do Santos, ao Roma tem item de venda automática" [Loan of Emerson, from Santos, to Roma has automatic transfer item] (in Portuguese). Futebol Interior. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Emerson Palmieri completa 12 jogos pela Roma e rende R$ 7 mi ao Santos" [Emerson Palmieri completes 12 matches for Roma and worths R$ 7 mi to Santos] (in Portuguese). Lance!. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Roma defender Emerson suffers anterior cruciate ligament injury". FourFourTwo. 28 May 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Roma 3-1 SPAL: Match report, reaction and key statistics". A.S. Roma. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Emerson signs" (Press release). Chelsea F.C. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Operazioni di mercato Emerson Palmieri" (PDF) (Press release) (in Italian). Rome: A.S. Roma. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Willian Brace Leads Chelsea to Easy 2018 FA Cup Win vs. Hull City". Bleacher Report. 17 February 2018.
- "Nazionale, Emerson Palmieri in azzurro: si attende l'ok della Fifa" [Emerson Palmieri in azurro: if the OK from FIFA arrive] (in Italian). La Roma 24. 16 March 2017. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "Nazionale, Emerson è ora convocabile. E il prossimo può essere Diawara" [National team, Emerson is now available to call-ups. And the next may be Diawara] (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. 29 March 2017. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Emerson: "Chiamatemi solo Emerson, perché..."" [Emerson: "Call me only Emerson, because..."] (in Italian). Mediagol.it. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Palmieri comemora boa fase no Palermo e não quer voltar" [Palmieri celebrates good form at Palermo and does not want to come back] (in Portuguese). A Tribuna. 25 March 2015. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Emerson Palmieri at Soccerway. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Emerson Palmieri.|