Emich Kyrill, Prince of Leiningen
|Prince of Leiningen|
|Born||18 October 1926|
Coburg, Weimar Republic
|Died||30 October 1991 (aged 65)|
Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (m. 1950)
Prince Karl Emich
Andreas, Prince of Leiningen
|Father||Karl, Prince of Leiningen|
|Mother||Grand Duchess Maria Kirillovna of Russia|
Emich Kyrill, Prince of Leiningen (German: Emich Kirill Ferdinand Hermann Fürst zu Leiningen; 18 October 1926 – 30 October 1991) was the son of Karl, Prince of Leiningen. He was the titular Prince of Leiningen from 1946 until his death.
Emich was born at Coburg, Weimar Republic, the first child of Karl, Prince of Leiningen (1898–1946), (son of Emich, 5th Prince of Leiningen and Princess Feodore of Hohenlohe-Langenburg) and his wife, Grand Duchess Maria Kirillovna of Russia (1907–1951), (daughter of Cyril Vladimirovich, Grand Duke of Russia and Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha). Through his mother, he was a descendant of Queen Victoria and Tsar Alexander II. Through his father, he was a descendant of the Vasa kings of Sweden and of both of Queen Victoria's half-siblings, Carl, Prince of Leiningen and The Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg. As a result, Emich was the first descendant of all three of Victoria, Duchess of Kent's children.
Emich married on 10 August 1950 in Rastede to Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (2 February 1928 – 26 January 2016), fourth child and second daughter of Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg and his wife, Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont.
They had four children:
- Princess Melita Elisabeth Bathildis Helene Margarita of Leiningen (b. 19 June 1951), married in 1978 to Horst Legrum, no issue.
- Prince Karl Emich of Leiningen (b. 12 June 1952), married
- firstly in 1984 to Princess Margarita of Hohenlohe-Oehringen, had issue, Princess Margarita died in 1989 in a car accident;
- secondly in 1991 to Gabriele Renate Thyssen, had issue, divorced in 1998;
- thirdly in 2007 to Countess Isabelle von und zu Egloffstein, had issue.
- Andreas, Prince of Leiningen (b. 27 November 1955), married on 5 October 1981 to Princess Alexandra of Hanover, had issue.
- Princess Stephanie Margarita of Leiningen (b. 1 October 1958)
Prince of Leiningen
On the death of his father in 1946, Emich became the titular Prince of Leiningen.
The Prince fell out with his eldest son over the latter's marriage, and disinherit him.
Notes and sources
- thePeerage.com — Emich Cyril Ferdinand Hermann VII Fürst zu Leiningen
- Genealogics — Leo van de Pas — Emich, 7.Fürst zu Leiningen
- Queen Victoria's Descendants, New York, 1987, Eilers, Marlene A., Reference: 195
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1997
Emich Kyrill, Prince of LeiningenBorn: 18 October 1926 Died: 30 October 1991
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
Prince of Leiningen
Reason for succession failure:
German nobility titles abolished