|Minority Leader of the Ohio House of Representatives|
|Assumed office |
February 6, 2019
|Preceded by||Fred Strahorn|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives|
from the 34rd district
|Assumed office |
January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||Vernon Sykes|
|Born||January 4, 1986|
|Relatives||Vernon Sykes (father)|
Barbara Sykes (mother)
|Education||Kent State University (BA)|
University of Florida (JD, MPH)
Emilia Sykes (born January 4, 1986) is an American politician currently serving as the Minority Leader of the Ohio House of Representatives. Sykes represents the 34th district, which consists of portions of the (Akron area).
She is the daughter of former state Representatives Vernon Sykes (now an Ohio state senator) and Barbara Sykes, who collaboratively held the same seat from 1982 to 2014, meaning that the seat has been represented by a member of the Sykes family for over 35 years.
Sykes is a graduate of Kent State University and received both a JD and a Master of Public Health from the University of Florida. She also has served as an administrative adviser in the Summit County fiscal office. In 2013, Sykes decided to run for the Ohio House of Representatives to succeed her father Vernon, who was term-limited. She defeated Summit County Councilman Frank Communale to take the Democratic nomination. Sykes defeated Republican Cynthia Blake 72%-28% to take the seat.
In 2019, she was elected the leader of the Democrats in the Ohio House, becoming Minority Leader.
|2014||Emilia Sykes||17,299||71.9%||Cynthia Blake||28.1%||43.48%|
|2016||Emilia Sykes||35,154||77.1%||Gene Littlefield||10,420||22.9%|
|2018||Emilia Sykes||30,164||78.4%||Josh Sines||8,329||21.6%|
- "Meet Emilia". Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- http://www.statenews.org/post/first-new-democratic-house-leader-five-years-has-strong-ties-statehouse. Retrieved 2019-03-27. Missing or empty
- "Emilia Sykes to seek the Ohio House seat her family long has held". Akron Beacon Journal. Akron. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Emilia Sykes in the Democratic primary for Ohio House District 34: editorial endorsement". Cleveland Plain Dealer. Cleveland. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Emilia Sykes named new Ohio House Democratic leader". Akron Beacon Journal. Akron, Ohio. 2019-01-21. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- [emiliasykes.com/ Official campaign site]
|Ohio House of Representatives|
| Minority Leader of the Ohio House of Representatives