Emilie of Saxony
|Emilie of Saxony|
|Margravine of Brandenburg-Ansbach|
27 July 1516|
9 April 1591 (aged 74)|
|Spouse||George, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach|
Sophie, Duchess of Legnica|
Dorothy Catherine, Burgravine of Meissen
George Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Henry IV, Duke of Saxony|
|Mother||Catherine of Mecklenburg|
Emilie of Saxony (27 July 1516 – 9 April 1591) was the third wife of Margrave George the Pious of Brandenburg-Ansbach. Since his two earlier wives died before his accession, she was the only one to enjoy the title Margravine.
On 25 August 1533 she married the much older George of Brandenburg, the future Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, who had been recognized as the duke of Silesia. He also administered Brandenburg-Kulmbach on behalf of Albert, the son of his deceased brother Casimir. The marriage produced the heir he had hoped for: George Frederick, later Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach.
After the death of her husband in 1543, Emilie was the legal guardian of her minor son George Frederick until 1556. She provided him with his profound and humanistic education. However, the regency of Brandenburg-Ansbach was administered jointly by the reigning Electors of Saxony, Electors of Brandenburg, and the Landgrave of Hesse, Philip I.
Her children with George were the following
- Sophie (1535–1587)
- married in 1560 Duke Henry XI of Legnica (1539–1588)
- Barbara (1536–1591)
- Dorothy Catherine (1538–1604)
- married in 1556 Henry V, Burgrave of Plauen, Burgrave of Meissen
- George Frederick (1539–1603), Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
- married first, in 1558, Princess Elisabeth of Brandenburg-Küstrin (1540–1578)
- secondy, in 1579, Princess Sophie of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1563–1639)
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ancestors of Emilie of Saxony|
- Siegfried Hänle (1878), "George Frederick (Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach and Brandenburg-Bayreuth)", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 8, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 614 – 619 (mentioned in the article about her son)
- Marek, Miroslav. "wettin/wettin10.html". Genealogy.EU.
Emilie of SaxonyBorn: 27 July 1516 Died: 9 April 1591
Title last held bySophia of Poland
| Margravine of Brandenburg-Ansbach
4 April 1536 - 27 December 1543
Title next held byElisabeth of Brandenburg-Küstrin