Emily's Reasons Why Not
|Emily's Reasons Why Not|
Khary Payton as Josh, Heather Graham as Emily, and Nadia Dajani as Reilly
|Created by||Carrie Gerlach|
|Developed by||Emily Kapnek|
James Patrick Stuart
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7 (6 unaired in U.S.)|
|Executive producer(s)||Vivian Cannon
Michael Patrick Jann
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Pariah Television
Sony Pictures Television
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original release||January 9, 2006|
Emily's Reasons Why Not is a television series starring Heather Graham. The show, which was based on the novel of the same name, was canceled by its broadcaster, ABC, after airing one episode on January 9, 2006.
The series centered on Emily (Graham), an editor of self-help books who is unable to find success in romance. In the premiere episode she ends a bad relationship and adopts a new rule for her romances: if she can list five reasons to break up with a guy then she does so. Emily gets help from her friends, among them Josh, whose character is strongly based on gay stereotypes. The show was widely considered a less risqué copycat of Sex and the City.
In the first episode, she is convinced that the man she was dating was gay when he was actually a devout Mormon practicing chastity before marriage. His open virginity is presented through gay stereotypes, and his preferred sport, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is described as "the gayest sport there is" by Emily's former boyfriend.
It was reported that ABC committed to the show before seeing a script. Despite heavy promotion by both Sony Pictures Television and ABC, and a viewing average of 6.2 million viewers, the show was pulled after the first episode due to negative reception; production was stopped after filming six episodes. ABC was said to have spent millions on promotion, including airtime, billboards and radio ads, and considered Emily to be the 'linchpin' of the network's post-football Monday-night schedule. The promotion was so heavy and the cancellation so abrupt that some magazines found themselves carrying cover stories about a canceled show. After viewing it, ABC's entertainment president suggested that they considered the show lackluster and unlikely to improve. The New York Times attributed the cancellation in part to the extremely unappealing nature of the main character and the portrayal by Graham.
In 2006, all seven episodes of the show aired on Spain's pay-TV channel Cosmopolitan under the title Cinco razones (para no salir contigo) ("Five Reasons (to Not Date You)"), on Sony Entertainment Television (Latin America), on ORF1 in Austria, and on POP TV in Slovenia. It also aired on the cable/satellite channel, FOX Life, in Japan in 2007, titled in Japanese as Emirī no Renai Baiburu (エミリーの恋愛バイブル Emirī no Renai Baiburu, "Emily's Love Bible"). The entire season can also be seen on video sites such as YouTube.
- Emily Sanders (Heather Graham)
- Reilly Harvey (Nadia Dajani)
- Midas O'Shay (James Patrick Stuart)
- Josh (Khary Payton)
- Glitter Cho (Smith Cho)
|Episode #||Title||Original airdate|
|1||"Pilot"||January 9, 2006|
|2||"Why Not to Date Your Gynecologist"||Unaired|
|3||"Why Not to Cheat on Your Best Friend"||Unaired|
|4||"Why Not to Date a Twin"||Unaired|
|5||"Why Not to Hire a Cute Male Assistant"||Unaired|
|6||"Why Not to Look at Bridal Magazines"||Unaired|
|7||"Why Not to Invite Your Vacation Date Home"||Unaired|
Emily's Reasons Why Not - The Complete Series was released on DVD on May 1, 2012. All seven episodes produced were included in the set.
- "'Sex and the City' clones offer cheap thrills - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2006-01-09. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Bornemann, Samantha. "Emily's Reasons Why Not < PopMatters". Popmatters.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Politi, Daniel. "Heather Report - By Dana Stevens - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Celebrity News, Entertainment News, Celebrity Gossip - E! Online UK". Eonline.com. Archived from the original on 2006-06-23. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Stanley, Alessandra. "Friends Last, but Mr. Wrong Is Fungible." The New York Times, 13 July 2007.
- "Cinco razones (para no salir contigo): - Cosmopolitan TV España". Cosmopolitan.es. Archived from the original on 2009-08-25. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Emily's Reasons Why Not (2006) : Episodes 2 to 6 being shown in LA". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- TV.com. "Emily's Reasons Why Not Episodes". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Lambert, David (March 26, 2012). "Emily's Reasons Why Not - The Short-Lived Sitcom Starring Heather Graham is Scheduled by Sony". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on November 26, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2015.