Emily Cook (skier)
|Full name||Emily Cook|
July 1, 1979 |
Belmont, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||115 lb (52 kg)|
Emily Cook (born July 1, 1979 in Belmont, Massachusetts) is an American freestyle skier who has competed since 1995. Her first World Cup victory was in an aerials event in Russia in 2008. She has eight career World Cup podiums, over 30 World Cup top tens and five National Championships wins.
Sochi 2014 was Emily's third Olympic games. On February 14, 2014, Cook completed the Freestyle Skiing Ladies' Aerials Qualification with a score of 80.01 for 5th place and the finals with a score of 64.50 for 8th place. Her finals score went down from her qualifying score because she was unable to stick her landing. Her 8th-place finish was her best placing in her Olympic career.
Born in Belmont, Massachusetts, Emily's mother died when she was two years old. She began skiing when she was four years old and moved on to freestyle at age fourteen. She attended Belmont High School and a private skiing school in Maine, Carrabassett Valley Academy. She made the U.S. Freestyle team at age seventeen, which is when she moved to Park City, Utah. Emily attended the University of Utah.
Emily supports many non-profit organizations which include The Speedy Foundation, Kids Play International, Right To Play, Women's Sports Foundation, The Youth Winter Sports Alliance. She also created a mentorship program, the Visa Champions Creating Champions.
- "Emily Cook earns discretionary pick". ESPN. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Belmont's Emily Cook finishes 8th in women's aerials". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Eight Olympians, Paralympians Named Athletes In Excellence". Team USA. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- Emily Cook at the International Ski Federation
- "The Concierge Questionnaire-Emily Cook Interview" www.conciergequestionnaire.com 2009-09-17 retrieved 2010-02-02
- Personal Website
|This biographical article relating to freestyle skiing in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|