Deschanel at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||Emily Erin Deschanel
October 11, 1976 
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||David Hornsby (m. 2010)|
|Relatives||Zooey Deschanel (sister)|
Emily Erin Deschanel (//; born October 11, 1976) is an American actress and producer. She is best known for starring in the Fox crime procedural comedy-drama series Bones as Dr. Temperance Brennan since 2005.
Deschanel was born in Los Angeles, California, to Academy Award–nominated cinematographer and director Caleb Deschanel and actress Mary Jo Deschanel (née Weir). Her younger sister is actress and singer-songwriter Zooey Deschanel. Her paternal grandfather was French, from Oullins, Rhône; her ancestry also includes Swiss, Dutch, English, Irish, and other French roots.
In 1994, Deschanel made her feature film debut in It Could Happen to You. Her next notable role was in Stephen King's Rose Red in 2002. Then she appeared in Cold Mountain, The Alamo, and Glory Road and was named one of "six actresses to watch" by Interview Magazine in 2004.
In 2005, Deschanel won the role of Dr. Temperance Brennan with David Boreanaz as FBI agent Seeley Booth on the Fox crime procedural comedy-drama Bones, based on the novels and the career of forensic anthropologist and author Kathy Reichs that premiered on September 13, 2005. For her performance, she received a 2006 Satellite Award nomination and a 2007 Teen Choice Award nomination. Deschanel and Boreanaz served as co-producers at the start of the show's third season, before becoming producers in the middle of the show's fourth season.
Deschanel, with Alyson Hannigan, Jaime King, Minka Kelly, and Katharine McPhee made a video slumber party featured on FunnyorDie.com to promote regular breast cancer screenings for the organization Stand Up 2 Cancer. In recent years, her passion for animal welfare has led her to providing the narration for My Child Is a Monkey and serving as an associate producer on the documentary film How I Became an Elephant. Deschanel ranked number 72 in The 2012 Hot 100 on AfterEllen.
Deschanel is a vegan and a committed supporter of animal rights causes. She can be seen in an Access Hollywood video at the book launch event of Karen Dawn's Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals, discussing how vegetarian and vegan diets help the environment, and a video on the homepage of the book's website talking about the importance of animal rights. She collaborated with PETA on a video encouraging mothers to raise their children as vegans.
Deschanel was raised Roman Catholic, but is no longer practicing, and has expressed agnostic views, saying "I am more of a spiritual person, if anything, and I am of the belief that we don't know, and I'm not going to pretend that I do."
On September 25, 2010, Deschanel married It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia actor and writer David Hornsby in a small private ceremony in the Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles. On September 21, 2011, Deschanel gave birth to their son Henry Lamar Hornsby. On June 8, 2015, she gave birth to their second son.
Deschanel is best friends with her Bones co-star Michaela Conlin, who plays her best friend Angela Montenegro on the show and she is friends with her Bones co-star David Boreanaz with whom she has a strong working relationship.
|1994||It Could Happen to You||Animal rights activist|
|2000||It's a Shame About Ray||Maggie||Short film|
|2001||Heart Department, TheThe Heart Department||Maude Allyn|
|2002||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Cassie Germaine||Episode: "Surveillance" Season 3 Episode 17|
|2002||Rose Red||Pam Asbury|
|2002||Providence||Annie Franks||Episodes: "Cloak & Dagger" and "The Eleventh Hour"|
|2003||Dan Show, TheThe Dan Show||Sam|
|2003||Cold Mountain||Mrs. Morgan|
|2004||Alamo, TheThe Alamo||Rosanna Travis|
|2004||Crossing Jordan||Michelle||Episode: "All the News Fit to Print"|
|2004||Old Tricks||Woman||Short film|
|2005||That Night||Annie||Short film|
|2005–present||Bones||Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan||Lead role, also producer, 200+ episodes|
|2006||Glory Road||Mary Haskins|
|2007||Diagnosis, TheThe Diagnosis||Maggie||Short film|
|2009||My Sister's Keeper||Dr. Farquad|
|2009||Tit for Tat||Emily|
|2010||Cleveland Show, TheThe Cleveland Show||Julia Roberts (voice)||Episode: "Cleveland Live!"|
|2011||Perfect Family, TheThe Perfect Family||Shannon Cleary|
|2011||Cleveland Show, TheThe Cleveland Show||Herself (voice)||Episode: "Hot Cocoa Bang Bang"|
|2014||Drunk History||Babe Didrikson Zaharias, pro golfer/LPGA founder||Episode: "Sports Heroes"|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Satellite Awards||Best Actress – Television Series Drama||Bones||Nominated|
|2007||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Bones||Nominated|
|2011||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Crime Fighter||Bones||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Bones||Nominated|
|2012||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Drama Actress||Bones||Nominated|
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1176/1177): 34. Oct 14–21, 2011.
- "Exclusive Interview: Bones Star Emily Deschanel". Buddytv.com. October 2, 2007. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- Miller, Sarah (April 2007). "Interview with Emily Deschanel". Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- Powell, Kimberly. "Interesting Ancestors of Emily & Zooey Deschanel". Genealogy.about.com. Retrieved 2012-10-28.
- Olsen, Mark (February 16, 2003). "A scene stealer steps off the sidelines". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "Los Angeles natives". thedailytruffle.com. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Emily Deschanel Biography". TV.com. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- Stanhope, Kate (October 1, 2009). "Deschanel, Hannigan and Others Cop a Feel for a Cause". TVGuide.com. Retrieved October 1, 2009.
- "How I Became an Elephant: Film Crew". Rattle the Cage Productions. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Emily Deschanel". AfterEllen.com.
- "Interview with Access Hollywood".
- "Emily Deschanel promotes vegan diet," Winnipeg Free Press, 9 May 2013.
- DeSalvo, Robert (May 4, 2012). "Q&A: Emily Deschanel on Playing a 'Perfect' Catholic Lesbian". nextmovie.com. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- Zuckerman, Suzanne (September 25, 2010). "Actress Emily Deschanel Weds". Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Dyball, Rennie; Raferty, Liz (September 21, 2011). "Emily Deschanel Has a Baby Boy". People. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Paskin, Willa (November 3, 2011). "Bones Creator Hart Hanson on the Show’s New Season, Booth and Brennan’s Future Make-Outs". nymag. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "‘Bones’ Cast Champions David Boreanaz For Directing 200th Episode [INTERVIEW]/".
- "It's Evening in America". Vanity Fair. May 2012. Page 152.
- "Emily Deschanel to Star in Perfect Family". PasteMagazine.com. May 7, 2010. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Emily Deschanel.|