Emirate of Dubai
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Emirate of Dubai
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Independence from UK||2 December 1971|
|• Type||Absolute monarchy|
|• Emir||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|• Crown Prince||Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum|
|• Total||3,885 km2 (1,500 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (UAE standard time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4|
|Nominal GDP||2015 estimate|
|Total||USD 105 billion|
|Per capita||USD 44,000|
|Religion||Islam (the official state religion of the UAE)|
The capital of the emirate is the eponymous city, Dubai. It is located in the Arabian Desert on the coast of the Persian Gulf. It is bordered to the south by the emirate of Abu Dhabi, to the northeast by the emirate of Sharjah, to the southeast by the country of Oman, to the west by the emirate of Ajman, and to the north by the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. In December 1971, the emirates united to form the United Arab Emirates, thus ending their status as British Protectorates.
The emirate is made up of various other municipalities and villages. The inland exclave of Hatta is located about 134 km east of Dubai City. It is bordered by Oman to the east and south, the villages of Sayh Mudayrah and Masfout in Ajman to the west, and Ras Al Khaimah to the north.
Rulers of Dubai
- 9 July 1833 – 1836 Sheikh Obeid bin Said bin Rashid (d. 1836)
- 9 July 1833 – 1852 Sheikh Maktoum bin Butti bin Suhail (d. 1852)
- 1852 – 1859 Sheikh Saeed bin Butti (d. 1859)
- 1859 – 22 November 1886 Sheikh Hasher bin Maktoum (d. 1886)
- 22 November 1886 – 7 April 1894 Sheikh Rashid bin Maktoum (d. 1894)
- 7 April 1894 – 16 February 1906 Sheikh Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum (d. 1906)
- 16 February 1906 – November 1912 Sheikh Butti bin Suhail Al Maktoum (ca. 1851–1912)
- November 1912 – September 1958 Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum
- September 1958 – 7 October 1990 Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (1912–1990)
- 7 October 1990 – 4 January 2006 Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum (ca. 1943–2006)
- 4 January 2006 Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1949)
- "The Political System of the UAE".
- "Entrenched Monarchy Thwarts Aspirations for Modernity". The New York Times. January 22, 2010.
- About Dubai page of the Government of Dubai website (www.dubai.ae). Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "Gross Domestic Product at Current Prices - Emirate of Dubai 2015-2014" (PDF). Dubai Statistics Center. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 4, 2016. Retrieved January 27, 2017.