Emma Coronel Aispuro
Emma Coronel Aispuro
|Occupation||Beauty pageant contestant|
|Parent(s)||Inés Coronel Barreras|
Emma Coronel Aispuro (Spanish: [ˈema koɾoˈneǀ aisˈpuɾo]; born July 3, 1989) is a U.S.-born Mexican former teenage beauty queen. She is often cited as the wife of Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, once considered Mexico's most-wanted drug lord.
Emma Coronel Aispuro was born near San Francisco, California, to Blanca Estela Aispuro Aispuro and Inés Coronel Barreras, a cattle rancher and deputy of Guzmán who was sanctioned by the United States Department of the Treasury under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin designation. She grew up in the remote Durango village of La Angostura.
Coronel entered the 2007 Coffee and Guava Festival beauty pageant in Canelas, Durango. Each contestant was required to host a party in honor of her candidacy; Coronel held hers on Three Kings Day. In this event, Coronel reportedly met Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, who traveled to Canelas to meet her. Both of them reportedly agreed to marry that day.[a]
In the summer of 2012, Coronel traveled to Lancaster, California, to give birth to twins at Antelope Valley Hospital. Guzmán's name was left off the children's birth certificates because the U.S. Department of State was offering a bounty of five million dollars for his capture.
- "6 Facts You Didn't Know About El Chapo's Beauty Queen Wife". www.latina.com. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "PHOTOS: Emma Coronel Guzman- Joaquin El Chapo Guzman's Wife (Bio, Wiki)". DailyEntertainmentNews.com. February 24, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Treasury Targets Leading Figures of Sinaloa Cartel". www.treasury.gov. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Daly, Michael (February 26, 2014). "Drug Cartel Beauty Queens Face an Ugly End". The Daily Beast. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Scherer García, Julio (April 3, 2010). "Proceso en la guarida de 'El Mayo' Zambada". Proceso (in Spanish).
- Dávila, Patricia (February 22, 2014). "Cuando El Chapo se casó con Emma". Proceso (in Spanish).
- Cornoel, Emma. "ProQuest". search.proquest.com.
- "La entrevista de Emma Coronel con Telemundo - Proceso". Proceso (in Spanish). February 23, 2016. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Hernández, Anabel (February 21, 2016). "Murder, torture, drugs: Cartel kingpin's wife says that's not the 'El Chapo' she knows". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 22, 2017.