Emma Coronel Aispuro
Emma Coronel Aispuro
Emma Modesta Coronel Aispuro
July 3, 1989
|Other names||Emma Coronel Vela|
|Occupation||Beauty pageant contestant|
|Parent(s)||Inés Coronel Barreras|
|Relatives||Ignacio Coronel Villarreal|
Emma Modesta Coronel Aispuro (Spanish: [ˈema moˈðest̪o koɾoˈnel ajsˈpuɾo]; born July 3, 1989) is an American former teenage beauty queen. She is often cited as the wife of Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, once considered Mexico's most-wanted drug lord.
Emma Coronel Aispuro was born near San Francisco, California, to Blanca Estela Aispuro Aispuro and Inés Coronel Barreras, a cattle rancher and deputy of Guzmán who was sanctioned by the United States Department of the Treasury under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin designation. She grew up in the remote Durango village of La Angostura.
Coronel entered the 2007 Coffee and Guava Festival beauty pageant in Canelas, Durango, Mexico. Each contestant was required to host a party in honor of her candidacy; Coronel held hers on Three Kings Day. In this event, Coronel reportedly met Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, who traveled to Canelas to meet her. Both of them reportedly agreed to marry that day.[a]
In the summer of 2011, Coronel traveled to Lancaster, California, to give birth to twin girls at Antelope Valley Hospital. Guzmán's name was left off the children's birth certificates because the U.S. Department of State was offering a bounty of five million dollars for his capture.
Coronel was arrested at Dulles International Airport on February 22, 2021 for conspiracy to unlawfully import and distribute illegal drugs. Authorities allege that she aided her husband with his escape from a Mexican prison in 2015 and also with a later second escape attempt in 2016.However, anonymous sources told Vice News that she would have voluntarily surrendered and was seeking a court settlement.
- "Mexican cartel leader's wife gives birth in U.S., official says". CNN. September 29, 2011.
- "6 Facts You Didn't Know About El Chapo's Beauty Queen Wife". www.latina.com. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "PHOTOS: Emma Coronel Guzman- Joaquin El Chapo Guzman's Wife (Bio, Wiki)". DailyEntertainmentNews.com. February 24, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Treasury Targets Leading Figures of Sinaloa Cartel". www.treasury.gov. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Daly, Michael (February 26, 2014). "Drug Cartel Beauty Queens Face an Ugly End". The Daily Beast. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Scherer García, Julio (April 3, 2010). "Proceso en la guarida de 'El Mayo' Zambada". Proceso (in Spanish).
- Dávila, Patricia (February 22, 2014). "Cuando El Chapo se casó con Emma". Proceso (in Spanish).
- Cornoel, Emma. "ProQuest". ProQuest 1767266442. Missing or empty
- "La entrevista de Emma Coronel con Telemundo - Proceso". Proceso (in Spanish). February 23, 2016. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Hernández, Anabel (February 21, 2016). "Murder, torture, drugs: Cartel kingpin's wife says that's not the 'El Chapo' she knows". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Slisco, Aliya (February 22, 2021). "El Chapo's Wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, Arrested in Virginia on Drug Trafficking Charges". Newsweek.com. Retrieved February 22, 2021.
- Agren, David (February 23, 2021). "Emma Coronel, wife of El Chapo, arrested on drug trafficking charges". The Guardian. Mexico City, Mexico. Archived from the original on February 23, 2021. Retrieved February 23, 2021.
- "El Chapo's Wife Emma Coronel Turned Herself In". www.vice.com. Retrieved February 27, 2021.