Emma Jane Hogbin
|Emma Jane Hogbin|
|Born||Emma Jane Hogbin
May 2, 1977
|Residence||Nottingham, United Kingdom|
|Occupation||Technical writer, Consultant|
|Known for||Drupal Socks, Unicorn Law|
|Political party||Green Party of Canada|
|Spouse(s)||James Westby (2012 - .. )|
Emma Jane Hogbin (born May 2, 1977) is a Canadian technical writer and free software advocate who lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. She is active in Drupal and the Bazaar version control system in different capacities and has contributed documentation to the Linux Documentation Project. She also speaks at various events on a range of technical and social topics. She is a member of Ubuntu Women, a group devoted in part to "Encouraging women to participate, for example, to learn to create new FLOSS software (or revamp existing software), not only to use GNU/Linux software, but to integrate backwards and learn more about it." Hogbin unsuccessfully ran for the Green Party of Canada in the Ontario riding of Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound during the 2011 federal election.
Hogbin formulated the "Unicorn Law", named by herself and Gabrielle Roth in 2009. The law states:
- If you are a woman in open source, you will eventually give a talk about being a woman in open source.
Hogbin has been interested in politics from an early age. In 1991, she served as a Legislative Page to the 35th Legislative Assembly of Ontario. In 1998 she served as a Legislative Usher to the 36th Legislative Assembly of Ontario. She continues to be politically active through her Web development consultancy and has built the campaign Web sites for Shane Jolley and Dick Hibma. On March 25, 2010, she announced that she has successfully filed to run for the Green Party nomination to be a candidate in the next federal election. On August 17, 2010, she won the nomination becoming the party's candidate in the riding of Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound for the 2011 federal election. On May 2, she was defeated receiving 5,092 votes.
Hogbin is an accomplished contributor to free software projects in terms of documentation of software, Web development (such as for the Bazaar version control system Web site) and talks. She has written articles for Full Circle Magazine on women in the Ubuntu community, and is a co-author of the book Front End Drupal.
Hogbin runs HICK Tech, a service business providing education and Web development services. Included in the work she has done is Web design development for the Language Evaluation and Assessment Project and Collaborative Environment for Language Learning projects at the University of Toronto, and work for Canadian Department of Foreign and National Affairs. HICK Tech has done two technology conferences for rural Canada, HICKTech 2007 and HICKTech 2008.
She married James Westby on December 24, 2012.
- Drupal Knitting Charts | emmajane.net. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- LinkedIn. "Emma Jane Hogbin Westby". Publication date unknown. Retrieved 2015-08-22.
- Drupal Voices 60: Emma Jane Hogbin on Theming and Bazaar version control. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- The Linux Documentation Project Weekly News, Issue 15. Published 2004-04-14. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Port Elgin Skills Canada Networking Dinner - Event Summary Report. Published 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Form an Orderly Queue, Ladies. Talk given at OSCON. Published 2008-07-24. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Emma Jane Hogbin's home page on the Ubuntu Women Wiki. Published 2008-01-14. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Ubuntu Women - Home. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Greens pick Hogbin
- Gardiner, Mary. "A unicorn races around the world before the truth has got its boots on". lecta. Mary Gardiner. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Steenhout, Nicholas. "Humour, Irony, Disablism and Sexism – Haecksen T-Shirt LCA2011". Accessibility NZ. Nicholas Steenhout. Archived from the original on 11 December 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Hansard Issue: l036. Published 1991-05-27. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Hansard Issue: L033a. Published 1998-06-25. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Open for (small) Business. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- emmajame - CIA.vc. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- RFC: Bazaar Web site Home Page Redesign, Emma Jane Hogbin, 2009-08-05. Mailing list thread. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Writing Effective Self Help Guides for World Domination. Published 2010-01-22. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Craftzine.com blog : Crafter Emma Hogbin Speaking at Geek Conference. Published 2008-03-30. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Front End Drupal: Designing, Theming, Scripting. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- HICK Tech Web site. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Dominique Sheffel-Dunand CV. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Foreign Policy Dialogue - Partners - More Credits. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- HICK Tech Forum | HICK Tech. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- HICK Tech 2008 | HICK Tech. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- photojunkie » Strange Little Girl : Emma binds it DIY style. Published 2005-09-07. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Craftzine.com blog : Drupal Knitting Charts. Published 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2010-02-28.