|Born||Emma Juliet Rice
Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, England
|Known for||Shakespeare's Globe,
Emma Juliet Rice (born August 1967) is an English actress, director and theatre professional. In January 2016 she was appointed to be the artistic director of Shakespeare's Globe in London. Just a few months into the role, in October 2016, it was announced that Rice would be leaving it in April 2018; the announcement followed a decision by the theatre's board, which cited concerns over authenticity and her use of lighting technology. Formerly, Rice was artistic director of the Kneehigh Theatre in Cornwall, England.
Rice was born in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire and grew up in Nottingham. She moved to London to study acting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and went on to perform at Kneehigh beginning in 1994. Kneehigh Artistic directors Bill Mitchell and Mike Shepherd eventually gave her a shot at directing, and she rose to prominence with ambitious performances that included productions in London's West End as well as smaller theatres. Rice says that her long-running production of The Red Shoes represented a turning point in her career when she came into her own.
Standard Issue Magazine made her their woman of the year in 2016 for “her fearlessness, leadership, innovation and bravery”.
- "Emma Juliet RICE - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". Beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- "Emma Rice: Shakespeare's Globe boss to leave over lighting row". BBC News Online. BBC. 25 October 2016. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Brown, Mark (25 October 2016). "Emma Rice to step down as artistic director at Shakespeare's Globe". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- "findmypast.co.uk". Search.findmypast.co.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- Chris Wiegand, Shakespeare’s Globe appoints Emma Rice of Kneehigh as new artistic director, The Guardian, 1 May 2015.
- Serena Davies, Emma Rice appointed as artistic director of the Globe, The Telegraph, 1 May 2015.
- Laura Barnett, Portrait of the artist: Emma Rice, artistic director, The Guardian, 29 May 2012.
- Elisabeth Mahoney, The Red Shoes, The Guardian, 3 August 2010.
- Kneehigh Theatre, Rebecca: Directed and adapted by EMMA RICE.
- Dominic Cavendish, Rebecca, Malvern Theatre, review: 'eerily entertaining', The Telegraph, 09 May 2015
- Campbell, Karen. "Woman of the Year: Emma Rice". Standard Issue Magazine. Retrieved 1 January 2017.