at salon du livre, 2009
|Born||9 December 1957|
|Alma mater||Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris|
He is the son of Louis Édouard Carrère, often known as Louis Carrère d'Encausse, after his mother, the historian and Académie française member, Hélène Carrère d'Encausse. He is also a cousin of the philosopher François Zourabichvili.
Carrère studied at the Institut d'études politiques de Paris (better known as Sciences Po). Much of his writing, both fiction and nonfiction, centers around the primary themes of the interrogation of identity, the development of illusion and the direction of reality. He has also been an important reference for the "autofiction" movement in English, as he has "excelled at creating narratives that range freely between genres." Several of his books have been made into films, and he directed the film adaptation of his novel La Moustache. He was the president of the jury of the book Inter 2003.
- Werner Herzog. Ediling, Paris 1982, ISBN 2-85601-017-2. About the director of the same name.
- Amie du jaguar (The Jaguar's Friend) (1983)
- Bravoure (Bravery, translated as Gothic Romance) (1984)
- Le Détroit de Behring. P.O.L., Paris 1986 (Engl.: The Behring Strait) (German: Kleopatras Nase. Kleine Geschichte der Uchronie. Gatza, Berlin 1993.)
- La Moustache (published in English as The Mustache) (1986)
- Hors d'atteinte (Out of Reach) (1988)
- Je suis vivant et vous êtes morts (I Am Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip K. Dick) (1993), a fictionalized biography of Philip K. Dick.
- La Classe de neige (Class Trip) (1995). Winner of the Prix Fémina, adapted in 1998 as the Claude Miller film of the same name.
- L'Adversaire (The Adversary) (2000), nonfictional account of the life of the murderer Jean-Claude Romand, after the author corresponded with the criminal in jail (1993), and watched his trial (1996). In 2002, L'Adversaire was adapted into the film of the same name by director Nicole Garcia.
- Un roman russe (A Russian Novel) (2007)
- Other Lives but Mine (D'autres vies que la mienne, 2009)
- Limonov (2011), a biography of Eduard Limonov
- Le royaume (The Kingdom) (2014)
- 1996 : la Classe de Neige by Claude Miller, adapted from his book of the same name.
- 1999 : Angel, about the life of Elizabeth Taylor.
- 2002 : L'Adversaire by Nicole Garcia and Daniel Auteuil, screenwriter.
- 2003 : Retour à Kotelnitch, director.
- 2005 : La Moustache, director and screenwriter, along with Emmanuelle Devos and Vincent Lindon.
- 2009 : I'm Glad My Mother Is Alive, story.
- 2011 : All Our Desires, adapted from his book Other Lives Than Mine
- Title unknown, L'Intermédiaire des chercheurs et curieux 486–496 (1992), p. 77.
- Elkin, Lauren. "They were like us and we were like them." The New Inquiry, 20 July 2012. https://thenewinquiry.com/they-were-like-us-we-were-like-them/
- "Hollywood Reporter: Cannes Lineup". hollywoodreporter. Archived from the original on 22 April 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- "The Jury for the Cinéfondation and Short Films". Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Susannah Hunnewell (Fall 2013). "Emmanuel Carrère, The Art of Nonfiction No. 5". The Paris Review.
- Kai Nonnenmacher: "Unterwerfung als Konversion: Als-Ob-Bekehrungen zu Katholizismus und Islam bei Carrère und Houellebecq". In: Romanische Studien 3 (2016), 171-198 online.
- Emmanuel Carrère – Photos by Mathieu Bourgois.
- Emmanuel Carrère on IMDb