|Occupation||CEO of Danone|
Emmanuel Faber (born in 22 January 1964, in Grenoble) is a French businessman. He is the Chief executive officer of Danone, and the Vice-Chairman of the board of directors. He is also a member of the Executive Committee since 2000.
Emmanuel Faber spent most of his early childhood in a village in the Haute-Alpes. He had a younger brother, afflicted with schizophrenia.
He is married and a father of 3.
Education and early career
Emmanuel Faber passed his baccalaureat in Gap in the early 1980s. Upon graduation from HEC Paris in 1986, Faber began his career at Bain & Company. He then worked for Barings Bank, before joining Legris Industries in 1993 as Administrative and Financial Director. He became general manager in 1996.
Faber started his career with Bain & Company (1986). He then worked for the investment bank Barings Bank before joining Legris Industries as Chief Administrative and Financial Officer in 1993, and was named Chief Executive Officer in 1996.
He joined Danone in 1997 as head of Finance, Strategies and Information Systems. In 2000, he became Chief Financial Officer of Danone and a member of the Executive Committee. In 2005, he was appointed as Vice President, Asia-Pacific region, in charge of operational activities.
Following the encounter of Franck Riboud and Muhammad Yunus, he initiates the social business joint venture Grameen-Danone Foods, Ltd in Bangladesh. At the end of 2006, he oversees the creation of danone.communities, the first French mutual investment fund carrying social business, and serves as Director of the danone.communities mutual investment fund (SICAV) since 2008.
From January 2008 to September 2014, he served as Deputy General Manager of Danone, responsible for major corporate functions (Finance, Human Resources...), and was named Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors in April 2011.
Faber co-chairs with Martin Hirsch the Action Tank “Business and Poverty”, social experimentation lab, initiated in 2010 by the HEC Paris Chair “Social Business – Enterprise and Poverty”, which gathers companies, civil society organizations and academic spheres together with one common objective: contribute to reducing poverty and exclusion in France.
Since 2011, he has chaired the Strategic Guidance Committee of IEDES (Institute for Economic and Social Development) of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne University, which amongst others, publishes the “Tiers-Monde” journal.
In 2013, at the request of the French Minister of Development, Pascal Canfin, he writes a report with Jay Naidoo on reforming Official Development Assistance : “Mobilizing actors : a new approach to development aid”.
On January 1, 2015, he was appointed Chairman of Danone's Executive Committee.
In June 2016 he gave the commencement address to graduates of HEC where he spoke of the need for people to come together and bring down walls.
In August 2019, on the sidelines of the G7, in Biarritz, Emmanuel Faber is mandated by Emmanuel Macron to create a coalition of large French companies that are committed to the inequalities of opportunity, territory and gender. The initiative is sponsored by the OECD.
In 2016, his compensation amounted to 4.82 million euros.
On April 25, 2019, during the general meeting of shareholders of the Danone group, the resolution concerning the approval of his compensation in 2018 of 2.8 million euros was approved at 98%. He also announced that he would give up his managerial retirement hat at Danone, which amounts to 1.2 million euros per year, in order to only receive the traditional pension of the group's employees.
- Main basse sur la cité ; éthique et entreprise, Hachette 1992
- Chemins de traverse ; vivre l’économie autrement, Éditions Albin Michel 2011, Prix de l'Humanisme Chrétien
- Quand la fragilité change tout (Ouvrage collectif), Albin Michel 2013
- "Emmanuel Faber, le patron du CAC 40 qui voulait faire le bien". lemonde.fr. 29 September 2014.
- "Danone : Emmanuel Faber, le compagnon de route de Franck Riboud". lefigaro.fr. 3 September 2014.
- Emmanuel Faber - Président-directeur général de Danone à partir d'octobre 2014, LSA Conso, September 9, 2014
- Groupe Danone Strengthens Management Structure in Asia-Pacific, flex-news-food.com, April 22, 2005
- Danone - Emmanuel Faber, BusinessWeek
- Emmanuel Faber, Danone CEO: on the alert for blind spots, FT.com, April 4, 2016
- Join forces to alleviate social problems and poverty in France, Action Tank Entreprise et Pauvreté
- Ministère des Affaires étrangères et du Développement international. "Innover par la mobilisation des acteurs : une nouvelle approche de l'aide au développement : rapport d'Emmanuel Faber et Jay Naidoo". France Diplomatie :: Ministère des Affaires étrangères et du Développement international. Archived from the original on 28 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Emmanuel Faber, l’atypique nouveau patron de Danone, L'Usine Nouvelle, September 03, 2014
- Emmanuel Faber, le joker de Danone, Les Echos, October 01, 2014
- "Top global firms commit to tackling inequality by joining Business for Inclusive Growth coalition - OECD". www.oecd.org. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- "Rémunérations de M Emmanuel Faber (sur Edubourse.com)". Edubourse.com. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Emmanuel Faber Net Worth (2020) – wallmine.com". fr.wallmine.com (in French). Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- DANONE (2019-04-25). "Danone: 2019 Danone Shareholders' Meeting: approval of all resolutions". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2020-12-20.