This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Director of the Cyber Crime Center of the Hellenic Police|
|Alma mater||National and Kapodistrian University of Athens|
Manolis Sfakianakis was born in Chania, Crete. He was raised in a family with very close ties to religion, as both of his parents were clerics. In 1981 he entered the faculty of Programming and Analysis of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. A year later he joined the Hellenic Police.
His training followed various seminars and post-graduate education related to cyber crime and cyber terrorism, such as credit card fraud prevention (London, U.K.) and Serious Organised Crime tackling (FBI) .
His career in the Hellenic Police started in 1982, when Sfakianakis entered an Officers' School. In 1995, he joined the Unit of Financial Police and Electronic Crime, and in 2011 he was placed in charge of the Police Cyber Crime Center. Under his leadership, the agency has intervened in an extremely large number of suicide attempts, saving altogether over 600 lives. His effectiveness in preventing suicide attempts, has earned him the moniker "Poirot of the cyberspace" by the Greek press.[better source needed]
Additionally during his tenure Cyber Crime Center, the agency created a website called Cyber-Kid, which is used exclusively to inform on and protect children from any possible cyber threats.
Sfakianakis, has published a book referring in detail on the threats that someone can run into while using the Internet, has given a large number of interviews  offering advice on the safe use of the internet. Since 2011 he has been in charge of a number of conferences and seminars that the Cyber Crime Center has organized.
- From the Hellenic Kidney Diseases Organization, for saving a child that swallowed sedative pills
- From the F.B.I
- From the President of Greece for his contribution in tackling cyber crime
- From the Minister of Education for saving a student from a suicide attempt
- "Sfakianakis, Emmanuel" (in Greek). Biblionet.gr. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Μανώλης Σφακιανάκης, Προϊστάμενος Τμ. Δίωξης Ηλ. Εγκλήματος » Στην Πράξη.gr" (in Greek). Stinpraxi.gr. 2013-01-18. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Σημαντικό το έργο Σφακιανάκη και της Δίωξης Ηλεκτρονικού Εγκλήματος" (in Greek). Newsbomb.gr. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Απέτρεψε αυτοκτονία η Δίωξη Ηλεκτρονικού Εγκλήματος - apetrepse autoktonia i dioxi ilektronikou egklimatos" (in Greek). Xrimaonline.gr. Archived from the original on 2015-06-21. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Απέτρεψε αυτοκτονία η Δίωξη Ηλεκτρονικού Εγκλήματος - apetrepse aftoktonia i dioxi ilektronikou egklimatos" (in Greek). Inews.gr. 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "ΜΠΟΡΑ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΘΑ ΠΕΡΑΣΕΙ - Let's wait until the storm passes: Μανώλης Σφακιανάκης - Ο Πουαρό του Διαδικτύου" (in Greek). Boraeinai.blogspot.ro. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "O Μ. Σφακιανάκης στο news247.gr για το downloading" (in Greek). Neolaia.gr. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Μανώλης Σφακιανάκης: "Λέμε ΝΑΙ στο Διαδίκτυο και στις νέες τεχνολογίες" – Διάγνωση | Εφημερίδα Πολιτικής και Οικονομικών της Υγείας" (in Greek). 2013-08-13. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "2ο Συνέδριο Ασφαλούς Πλοήγησης από τη Δίωξη Ηλεκτρονικού Εγκλήματος" (in Greek). Newsbomb.gr. 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Î'ÎšÎżÎłĎ ÎąĎ†ÎšÎşĎŒ - ÎŁĎ†ÎąÎşÎšÎąÎ˝ÎŹÎşÎˇĎ‚ Î•ÎźÎźÎąÎ˝ÎżĎ…ÎŽÎť - eThemis: Î¤Îż ÎľÎťÎťÎˇÎ˝ÎšÎşĎŒ Î˝ÎżÎźÎšÎşĎŒ site" (in Greek). Ethemis.gr. 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Addiction to the Internet and other online risk behaviors : Emmanouil Sfakianakis, Konstantinos Siomos, Georgios Floros" (in Greek). Biblionet.gr. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Εκδοτικός οργανισμός Λιβάνη - Σφακιανάκης Εμμανουήλ" (in Greek). Livanis.gr. Retrieved 2013-10-04.