This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Other names||Emmett Couling Skilton|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Partner(s)||Holly Shervey (2014-present)|
Emmett Skilton (born 23 September 1987), also credited as Emmett Couling Skilton, is a New Zealand-based actor, director and producer.
His professional career began in 2005 with a role in the comedy television series Seven Periods with Mr Gormsby as Willem Van der Muren. His work includes the lead character Axl Johnson, in the comedy-drama, The Almighty Johnsons, with his most recent on-camera roles as real-life figures Sam Giancana in US series The Making of the Mob: Chicago, and Victor Lownes in American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story.
His most recent behind-the-scenes role is co-creating, directing and producing comedy web series Auckward Love.
Emmett was born in Wellington, New Zealand. During high school, Emmett performed in his first public theatre productions, firstly with New Zealand's National Sheila Winn Shakespeare competition, then became involved in youth improvisation troupe, Joe Improv, which performed live shows four times a year at Wellington's Capital E. It was at one of these shows that New Zealand director Danny Mulheron saw Emmett perform and asked him to audition for the role of Willem in Seven Periods with Mr Gormsby. Emmett performed in various New Zealand television and film productions during his time at high school, including Passion in Paradise, The Hot House, The Investigator and Time Trackers.
Emmett completed high school at the end of 2005 and the following year he toured New Zealand and Sydney, performing various re-written works of Shakespeare with the acting company The Ugly Shakespeare Company, before being accepted into Wellington tertiary institute Toi Whakaari: New Zealand Drama School, in 2007. While studying, Emmett starred in feature film Home By Christmas. He graduated at the end of 2009 with a Bachelor of Performing Arts (Acting) and began starring as Axl Johnson in The Almighty Johnsons, filmed in Auckland, New Zealand. He has since worked on numerous screen projects for New Zealand and the United States, including The Brokenwood Mysteries, James Patterson's Murder Is Forever and American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story, as well as Chinese/New Zealand co-production Into The Rainbow.
When not filming, Emmett has performed in numerous successful theatre seasons including Nina Raines Tribes, a devised show Paper Sky (which toured nationally), Marie Jones' Stones in his Pockets and Ian Meadows Between Two Waves centering on Climate Change.
Emmett recently stepped behind the camera to produce and direct comedy web series Auckward Love which centers around a young heartbroken girl in Auckland, New Zealand, in her quest to find love again from her not-so-useful best friends. It has now completed a third series with funding from Television New Zealand and NZ On Air. Emmett is also co-directing Stan Harrington's Australian based series, Legends, due for release in 2019. He is a screen tutor at leading drama school The Actors Program and has directed their 2017 and 2018 graduation films, Ripple and 13 Suspects, the latter written by The Almighty Johnsons co-creator Rachel Lang.
- James Patterson's Murder Is Forever (2018) Det. Derek Mois
- Into The Rainbow (2017) Tom Williams
- Every Little Thing (2016) Henry Thorougood
- Bella (2016) Connor Gregor
- The Last Train (2015) Louis
- We Feel Fine (2012) Roger
- Packed (2011) Darth Vader
- Shopping for One (2010) Dave
- Home By Christmas (2009) Tiny
- High Risk Team (2009) Registrar J. Carrey
- Objective (2008) Steve
- Power Rangers Beast Morphers (2019) Jax
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel (2018) Dreadwolf and Stabberous
- Dear Murderer (2017) Bruce Peterson
- American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story (2017) Victor Lownes
- The Brokenwood Mysteries (2017) Dr. Byron Cotter
- Power Rangers Dino Super Charge (2016) Professor Strickler
- The Making of the Mob: Chicago (2016) Sam Giancana
- Jono and Ben at Ten (2013) Guy Williams
- The Almighty Johnsons – Series 3 (2013) Axl Johnson
- Would I Lie To You? (2012) Himself
- The Almighty Johnsons – Series 2 (2012) Axl Johnson
- Aotearoa Film and Television Awards (2011) Himself
- The Almighty Johnsons – Series 1 (2011) Axl Johnson
- Time Trackers (2008) Ernest Rutherford
- Passion in Paradise (2008) Soldier
- The Investigator (2008) Brendan Easton
- The Hothouse (2007) Drug dealer
- Seven Periods with Mr Gormsby (2005) Willem van der Murren
- Between Two Waves (2015) Daniel Wells
- Stones in his Pockets (2014) Various
- Tribes (2012) Daniel
- Idiots 3D (2011) Francis Fox
- Paper Sky: A Love Story (2011–12) Henry
- Gagarin Way (2010) Tom
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle (2009) Corporal
- This Boy (2009) Himself and his Grandmother
- Bedlam: An insane Opera in the Age of Reason (2009) Cornelius Crooke and Henry Fielding
- The Tempest (2008) Trinculo
- Mountain Language (2008) Officer
- Richard III (2007) Richard
- The Ugly Shakespeare Company National Tour (2006) Various
- Best Director of an International Web-series - Melbourne Webfest 2016
- Best Screenplay for an International Web-series - Melbourne Webfeet 2016
- TV Guide Best of the Box 2012 – Nomination for 'Rising Star' Award
- Harvey, Kerry (22 November 2018). "Shortland Street actor Holly Shervey thankful for 'boring life' after dramatic role". Stuff.