This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Emmit McHenry (born July 12, 1943, Forrest City, Arkansas), is an entrepreneur and company builder. He grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, attending Stewart Elementary School, Carver Middle School and Booker T. Washington High School. He received his B.S. in communications from the University of Denver in 1966. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, where he attained the rank of lieutenant. McHenry earned his M.S. degree in communications from Northwestern University in 1979. He started as an IBM Systems Engineer and later served as Assistant Dean and Instructor at Northwestern University.
With Gary Desler, Ty Grigsby, and Ed Peters he founded his first full-time entrepreneurial venture: Network Solutions. The company commercialized the TCP/IP protocol for packet switched computer network interoperability and went on to become the manager of the domain name system (DNS) registry, granting ".com" registrations. McHenry has been a part of founding a number companies.
His accolades include an Honorary Doctorate from Shaw University, the Marine Corps Sunset Parade Guest of Honor for his contributions to the Nations C4 Capacity, and the Chairman’s Award from the Historically Black Colleges and Universities Foundation.
- "Company History". networksolutions.com. Network Solutions. Archived from the original on 2016-03-12. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- Pinson, Tracey (August 2013). "Tiger Woods Foundation Demonstrates Support for Veteran-Owned Businesses" (PDF). Newsletter. Dept of the Army, Office of Small Business Programs. p. 21. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 July 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- "black inventors". blackinventions101.com. Archived from the original on 2015-02-27. Retrieved 2015-03-23.
- "Emmit J. McHenry - The HistoryMakers". thehistorymakers.com.
- Black internet pioneer Emmit McHenry creator of the DOTCOM. YouTube. 6 February 2014.
- "Faces of Black History – Emmit McHenry". Merc Xue.