|Recorded||October 1984 at Caet Studio in Berlin, Germany (tracks 2 and 3)|
April 1985 at Line in Recording Studio in Zurich, Switzerland (tracks 1, 4, 5)
|Genre||Black metal, thrash metal|
Enigma/Metal Blade (USA)
|Producer||Horst Müller, Rick Lights, Tom Warrior, Martin Ain, Karl Walterbach|
|Celtic Frost chronology|
Emperor's Return is the second release by the Swiss extreme metal band Celtic Frost. It was released in 1985 as an extended play and was their first record featuring American drummer Reid Cruickshank (aka "Reed St. Mark"). The band's bleak publicity photographs from this period had an influence on the fashion and style of the developing black metal genre. The tracks of Emperor's Return were remastered and re-released in the 1999 edition of Morbid Tales and yet again remastered and included in the 2017 edition of To Mega Therion.
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||6/10|
|1.||"Circle of the Tyrants"||4:27|
- Celtic Frost
- Tom G. Warrior - guitars, vocals, effects, producer, engineer on tracks 1, 4, 5
- Martin Ain - bass, bass effects, co-producer, assistant engineer on tracks 1, 4, 5
- Reed St. Mark - drums
- Additional musicians
- Stephen Priestly - drums on tracks 2 and 3
- Horst Müller - producer and engineer on tracks 2 and 3
- Rick Lights - producer on tracks 1, 4, 5
- Thomas Süsstrunk - engineer on tracks 1, 4, 5
- Karl Walterbach - executive producer
- Phil Lawvere - cover art
- "Gatefold of Best of Metal Blade, Vol. 1" (JPG). Metal Blade Records. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Strachan, Guy (February 2005). "Part Two: In the Name of the Lore". Terrorizer. No. 128. p. 42.
- Fischer, Thomas Gabriel (2000). Are You Morbid?: Into the Pandemonium of Celtic Frost. London, UK: Sanctuary. p. 100. ISBN 978-1860743108.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Celtic Frost - Emperor's Return review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 68. ISBN 978-1894959315.