Emperor Xiaozong of Song
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Emperor Xiaozong of Song
|Emperor of the Song dynasty|
|Reign||24 July 1162[a] – 18 February 1189[b]|
|Retired Emperor of the Song dynasty|
|Reign||18 February 1189 – 28 June 1194|
|Born||Zhao Bocong (1127–1133)
Zhao Yuan (1133–1160)
Zhao Wei (1160–1162)
Zhao Shen (1162–1194)
27 November 1127
|Died||28 June 1194(aged 66)|
|House||House of Zhao|
|Emperor Xiaozong of Song|
|Literal meaning||"Filial Ancestor of the Song"|
Emperor Xiaozong of Song (27 November 1127 – 28 June 1194), personal name Zhao Shen, courtesy name Yuanyong, was the 11th emperor of the Song dynasty in China and the second emperor of the Southern Song dynasty. He started his reign in 1162 when his adoptive father and predecessor, Emperor Gaozong, abdicated and passed the throne to him. Even though Emperor Gaozong became a Taishang Huang ("Retired Emperor") after his abdication, he remained the de facto ruler, so Emperor Xiaozong only fully took over the reins of power in 1187 after Emperor Gaozong's death. After ruling for about a year, Emperor Xiaozong followed in his predecessor's footsteps and abdicated in favour of his third son Zhao Dun (Emperor Guangzong), while he became Taishang Huang and still remained in power until his death in 1194.
Zhao Shen's birth name was Zhao Bocong (趙伯琮). In March 1133, after he entered the imperial palace, his name was changed to Zhao Yuan (趙瑗). In April 1160, after he was adopted by Emperor Gaozong, his name was changed to Zhao Wei (趙瑋). In July 1162, when Zhao Shen became crown prince, his name was changed again to Zhao Shen (趙眘).
Zhao Shen was given the courtesy name Yuangui (元瑰) in May 1160. In July 1162, when he became crown prince, his courtesy name was changed to Yuanyong (元永).
Zhao Shen was a seventh-generation descendant of Emperor Taizu, the founder and first emperor of the Song dynasty. He was the second son of Zhao Zicheng (趙子偁; died 1143), a sixth cousin of Emperor Gaozong, the 10th Song emperor. After the Jingkang Incident in 1127, Emperor Gaozong's father, eldest brother and most of his close relatives were taken prisoner by the Jurchen-led Jin Empire. As Emperor Gaozong's only son, Zhao Fu (趙旉), died prematurely around the age of two, the emperor ordered his officials to start searching for other living descendants of the imperial family. Zhao Shen was discovered and adopted by Emperor Gaozong in April 1160 as a son. In July 1162, Emperor Gaozong officially designated Zhao Shen as his crown prince and heir apparent.
- Great-great-great-great-great-grandfather: Zhao Kuangyin, better known as Emperor Taizu of the Song dynasty
- Great-great-great-great-grandfather: Zhao Defang (959–981), also known by his posthumous title "Prince Kanghui of Qin" (秦康惠王)
- Great-great-great-grandfather: Zhao Weixian (趙惟憲; 979–1016), also known by his posthumous title "Duke of Ying" (英國公)
- Great-great-grandfather: Zhao Congyu (趙從郁), also known by his posthumous title "Marquis of Xinxing" (新興侯)
- Great-grandfather: Zhao Shijiang (趙世將), also known by his posthumous title "Marquis of Huayin" (華陰侯)
- Grandfather: Zhao Linghua (趙令譮), also known by his posthumous title "Duke of Qing" (慶國公)
- Father: Zhao Zicheng (趙子偁; died 1143), also known by his posthumous title "Prince Anxi of Xiu" (秀安僖王)
- Mother: Lady Zhang (張氏; died 1167), also known as the "Princess Consort of Xiu" (秀王夫人)
- Emperor Xiaozong succeeded Emperor Gaozong, who abdicated on 24 July 1162. However, even after his retirement, Emperor Gaozong remained the de facto ruler until his death in November 1187.
- Emperor Xiaozong abdicated in favour of his son, Zhao Dun (Emperor Guangzong). He then granted himself the title Taishang Huang ("Retired Emperor") and remained as the de facto ruler until his death.
- List of emperors of the Song dynasty
- Jin–Song Wars
- Architecture of the Song dynasty
- Culture of the Song dynasty
- Economy of the Song dynasty
- History of the Song dynasty
- Society of the Song dynasty
- Technology of the Song dynasty
Emperor Xiaozong of SongBorn: 1127 Died: 1194
|Emperor of the Song Dynasty