Empire Polo Club
The Empire Polo Club is a 330-acre polo club in Indio, California in Riverside County in the Coachella Valley, near Palm Springs. Founded in 1987, it has hosted international polo tournaments. It leases out its polo grounds for Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and Stagecoach Festival annually for the last three weekends in April.
The club is located at 81-800 Avenue 51 within the city of Indio, in the Coachella Valley and Colorado Desert of Southern California. It is a 45-minute drive from Palm Springs and a 2-hour drive from Downtown Los Angeles or San Diego.
It hosts local, national and international matches and tournaments. In 2013, it hosted a match between the British Schools and Universities Polo Association (SUPA) and the USPA Intercollegiate/Interscholastic. It has also hosted events for the Gay Polo League. In 2015, it hosted the USPA Townsend International Challenge Cup.
The grounds are owned by Alex Haagen III. Since 1993, the Empire Polo Club has leased its polo grounds annually to Goldenvoice, a subsidiary of the Anschutz Entertainment Group, the organizers of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and the Stagecoach Festival.
- Spangler, Todd (March 31, 2015). "YouTube to Live-Stream Coachella Music Fest for Free for 5th Year Running". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Palm Springs, California: Empire Polo Club
- Empire Polo Club Announces 2015 Winter Season, The Polo Magazine, 27 September 2014
- Victoria Pelham, Polo season returns to Empire Polo Club field, The Desert Sun, January 4, 2015
- Horace A. Laffaye, The Evolution of Polo, Jefferson, North Carolina: Farland & Co., 2009, p. 210
- Empire Polo Club: One of the largest polo clubs on the West Coast of USA, PoloLine, October 23, 2014
- England to play USA for the Townsend Cup tomorrow, Polo Times, January 11, 2013
- Deborah Deutsch, Chip McKenney, Founder of the Gay Polo League, On How the League Was Born, Equestrian Quarterly, November 14, 2013
- Fessier, Bruce (April 9, 2015). "Coachella promoters working to improve festival". The Desert Sun. Gannett Company. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Alex Reisner (2008–2012). "Empire Polo". Classic Rock Concerts. alex reisner. Archived from the original on 12 January 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- Ray Waddell, Goldenvoice Buys 280 Acres of Land at Coachella Site, The Hollywood Reporter, March 27, 2003
- Stars of indie, rock & pop take part in the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, The Daily Telegraph
- Desert Trip website