Empire State Aerosciences Museum
|Location||250 Rudy Chase Drive
Glenville, New York, 12302
The Empire State Aerosciences Museum (commonly referred to as ESAM) is a non-profit museum which strives to "educate, entertain and excite with experiences in air and space.” Established in 1984 and chartered by the New York State Department of Education, the museum is located on 27 acres (110,000 m2) of land on the western perimeter of the Schenectady County Airport in Glenville, New York, United States. ESAM sponsors an annual air show at the Schenectady Airport.
The museum has a collection of military aircraft outside the main building, including:
- Grumman F-14A Tomcat
- Grumman A-6E Intruder
- Grumman S-2 Tracker (arrived in 2009)
- Douglas A-4F Skyhawk II
- Douglas F3D Skynight (Transferred from Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum)
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4D Phantom II
- McDonnell F-101F Voodoo
- Republic F-105G Thunderchief ("Wild Weasel" variant)
- Bell UH-1 Huey helicopter
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 (USSR) (Transferred from Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum)
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F (USSR)
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (USSR)
- Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
- LTV A-7E Corsair II
- Republic F-84F Thunderstreak
- Supermarine Scimitar (Transferred from Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum)
The main galleries contain more fragile aircraft, detailed models, artifacts, memorabilia, and photographs. Other exhibits include the Amelia Earhart Exhibit, the DePischoff "flying motorcycle," and a 32' scale model of the Japanese World War II aircraft carrier "Akagi". There are also several interactive displays. In addition, the museum houses a Restoration Center which treats aircraft in various stages of restoration.
The museum contains an extensive collection of aviation-related material.
Empire State Aviation Hall of Fame
The Empire State Aviation Hall of Fame, located on museum grounds, recognizes the contributions made by New York State aviation pioneers.
Hours and prices
The Empire State Aerosciences Museum is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM and on Sundays from 12:00 Noon to 4:00 PM. Private tours are available by request. Admission costs $8.00 for adults, $6.00 for senior citizens and military personnel, and $5.00 for children aged 6 to 16. Those under six are admitted free of charge. The museum has a virtual reality ride that costs $5.00 for adults and $4.00 for children in addition to the admission charge.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Empire State Aerosciences Museum.|
- Official Website
- Aviation Enthusiast: ESAM info and reviews
- Photos of aircraft and aviation exhibits at ESAM