Employer of the Year Competition In Belize
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2010)|
The Employer of the Year Competition, hosted by the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry in partnership with the Rotary Club of Belize, launched on March 2008, recognizes the best workplaces in Belize and is intended to encourage employment practices which comply with the Four Way Test, a four-question ethical guideline. The designation singles out employers, submitted by their employees, with progressive human resources policies.
Criteria for Nominees
Nominees of the awards are compared to other companies within similar industries, using the following criteria: (1) Communication Practices (2) Employee Appraisal System (3) HIV/AIDS Policies (4) Occupational Health and Safety, and (5) Profit Sharing.
Finalists of 2008
Eleven finalists emerged in the competition:
- Belize Recycling Company,
- Belize Telemedia Ltd.,
- Citrus Products of Belize Ltd.,
- Courts (Belize) Ltd., GraceKennedy (Belize) Ltd.,
- Ka’ana Boutique Resort & Spa,
- Morgan & Morgan Trust Corporation (Belize) Ltd.,
- Radisson Fort George Hotel & Marina,
- Reimer’s Feed Mill, ScotiaBank (Belize) Ltd. and
- Youth Business Trust Belize.
Categories for Awards
Winners were selected from among these contestants in four categories: Best Industry Employer, Best Tourism Employer, Best Overall Employer and Most Environmentally Conscious Employer. Awardees received the Rotary Club’s Paul Harris Humanitarian Award, Certificates, Plaques and Trophies.
List of 2008 Winners
- The Belize Recycling Company (Most Environmentally Conscious Employer), established in 2005, recycles paper and metal which it purchases from businesses and individuals or receives through donations.
- Citrus Products of Belize (Best Industry Employer), initiated in 1913, is Belize’s premier citrus processor providing concentrated juices and premium not-from-concentrate juices, as well as citrus by-products, to local as well as international private label industries.
- Ka’ana Boutique Resort & Spa (Best Tourism Employer), established in 2007, is a luxury boutique property in Western Belize.
- ScotiaBank (Belize) Ltd. (Best Overall Employer), operating in Belize since 1968, is one of the leading financial institutions in the region offering commercial and retail services to business and personal banking customers.
In 2010, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry in collaboration with the Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE), the Belize Youth Business Trust and the Labour Department hosted the second annual Employer of the Year Awards Ceremony. However, the competition has evolved to encompass a Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Belizeans who demonstrate courage, innovation and spirit. The Belize Natural Energy (BNE) Limited won this year’s prestigious Employer of the Year Award while Ms. Kaila Moralez won the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- Channel 5
- Love FM
- Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Rotary Club Of Belize
- Secular ethics#Rotary Four-Way Test
- Rotary Club of Belize Co-Sponsors Employer of the Year Competition
- Citrus Products of Belize Limited
- Ka’ana Boutique Resort & Spa
- The Reporter
- Belize Youth Business Trust
- Belize Natural Energy Limited
- The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry