|Traded as||NYSE: ELX|
|Headquarters||Costa Mesa, California,
|Key people||Jim McCluney
(President and CEO)
|Revenue||US$ 478.60 Million (2013)|
|Net income||US$ -5.21 million (2013)|
|Employees||More than 1200 (2013)|
Emulex Corporation provides network connectivity, monitoring and management hardware and software solutions that enable end-to-end application visibility, optimization and acceleration. The company's I/O connectivity offerings, including its like of Ethernet and Fibre Channel-based connectivity products have been designed into server and storage solutions from OEMs including Cisco, Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Huawei, IBM, NetApp and Oracle. In 2013, Emulex acquired Endace, based in New Zealand, to broaden its monitoring and management portfolio including network visibility and recording products. Headquartered in Costa Mesa, California, Emulex was founded in 1978 and employs more than 1200 people worldwide as of 2013.
On April 21, 2009, Broadcom made a proposal to the Emulex board of directors to buy all existing shares of Emulex for $764 million, or $9.25 per share, a 40% premium over the stock's closing price on April 20, 2009. After Emulex's board of directors recommended against the sale, Broadcom increased the company's offer to $11 per share on June 30, which valued the company at $925 million. It too was rejected on July 9, 2009. Subsequently, Broadcom announced it would withdraw its offer.
- Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters (HBAs)
- Emulex LightPulse® Fibre Channel (FC) Host Bus Adapters (HBAs)
- The LightPulse family of FC HBAs, which includes:
- LPe16000B and LPe16002B Gen 5 16Gb FC (16GFC) single and dual-port HBAs
- LPe15004 Gen 5 (8GFC) quad-port HBA
- LPe16202 Gen 5 (16GFC) dual-port Converged Fabric Adapter (CFA)
- LPe12000 and LPe12002 8GFC single and dual-port HBAs
- LPe11000, LPe11002 and LPe11004 4GFC single, dual, and quad-port HBAs
- I/O Connectivity Management Software
- Emulex provides a range of software solutions for device and connectivity management. Emulex I/O connectivity management software includes the following:
- Emulex OneCommand Manager addresses the challenges associated with the integration of new technologies, such as virtualization and convergence.
- Emulex OneCommand Manager plug-in for VMware vCenter™ Server enables control of fabric (Fibre Channel HBA) and network (FCoE, iSCSI, NIC) connectivity solutions from the VMware vCenter Server management console.
- Network Visibility and Intelligent Network Recording Products: The Emulex portfolio of network visibility and recording products provides organizations with complete network performance management at speeds up to 100Gb Ethernet and includes:
- EndaceProbe™ Intelligent Network Recorders (INR) appliances, which capture, index and record network traffic with continuous 100 percent accuracy, regardless of network speed, or traffic type.
- EndaceVision™, a powerful browser-based network traffic search engine, which enables network and security operations analysts and engineers to search and retrieve historic network traffic in response to network problems and suspected security events.
- EndaceAccess™ Network Visibility Headend System, a 100GbE-capable Network Packet Broker (NPB), which gives organizations visibility into 40 and 100GbE segments using existing 10GbE capable tools. EndaceAccess can be used with EndaceProbe INR appliances or with any third-party appliance with standard 10GbE ports.
- Endace Data Acquisition and Generation (DAG®) Cards, which underpin all Endace products and form the foundation for many commercially available network monitoring, network security and test and measurement systems.
- Endace Open Application Hosting Platforms, also known as open development environment (ODE) appliances, which are designed to host packet-processing applications in managed data center environments.
- EndaceFlow™ NetFlow Generator Appliances (NGA), which give organizations with large amounts of traffic the ability to generate 100 percent accurate NetFlows from their network, at speeds up to 10Gb per second (10Gbps) line rate, without having to burden existing routers and switches.
- Controllers: Emulex's complete portfolio of network, management and embedded storage controllers allows server appliance and storage companies to design and build robust high performance products that meet the demands of enterprise-class data centers. Emulex offers Ethernet, management and converged fabric controllers. These include:
- Ethernet Controllers:
- The Emulex Engine™ (XE)4310R is a low-cost, single-chip dual-port 10GbE controller with integrated 10GBASE-KR and 1000BASE-KX PHYs and I/O virtualization. The XE4310R leverages Ethernet, iSCSI and FCoE industry standards to reduce costs and operating expenses by converging network and storage I/O interconnects into a single unified Ethernet fabric. The XE4310R Ethernet Controller features a hardware architecture to carry network and storage traffic over two full-duplex 10GbE ports or four 1GbE ports, or a mix of two 10GbE and two 1GbE ports. The controller also features new voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) technology for improved signal integrity and reliability.
- Converged Fabric Controllers:
- The XE201 converged fabric controller is a PCIe 3.0 native 16Gb Fibre Channel (16GFC) and 10GbE controller that enables up to four ports of native 8GFC and 16GFC, FCoE, iSCSI, RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) and 10GbE. The controller also features new VCO technology for improved signal integrity and reliability. The XE201 can be incorporated into industry-standard custom format mezzanine cards, special-purpose storage target controllers or daughter cards, providing Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) with design flexibility.
- "Form 10-K". Emulex Inc., United States Securities and Exchange Commission. 2008-08-20. Retrieved 2009-08-17. "For the fiscal year ended: July 29, 2008"
- "Corporate Fact Sheet" (PDF). June 3, 2008. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Broadcom Offers to Acquire Emulex for $9.25 in Cash
- Broadcom (BRCM) Raises Offer for Emulex (ELX) to $11 - StreetInsider.com
- Emulex Board Unanimously Rejects Broadcom's $11.00 Per Share Offer "Emulex Corporation"
- Broadcom Drops Takeover Bid for Emulex - CNBC.com