|Subsidiary of Broadcom Limited|
|Traded as||Formerly NYSE: ELX|
|Bruce C. Edwards|
Jeff Benck (CEO)
|Revenue||US$478.60 million (2013)|
|−US$5.21 million (2013)|
|Total equity||US$761.8 million (2009)|
Number of employees
|More than 1200 (2013)|
Emulex Corporation provides network connectivity, monitoring and management hardware and software. The company's I/O connectivity offerings, including its line of Ethernet and Fibre Channel-based connectivity products, were used in server and storage products from OEMs, including Cisco, Dell, EMC Corporation, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Huawei, IBM, NetApp and Oracle Corporation.
In 2000, Emulex acquired Giganet for $645 million.
In 2013, Emulex acquired Endace, based in New Zealand.
Headquartered in Costa Mesa, California, Emulex was founded in 1978 and employed more than 1200 people in 2013.
On April 21, 2009, Broadcom made a proposal to the Emulex board of directors to buy all existing shares of Emulex for $764 million, or $9.25 per share, a 40% premium over the stock's closing price on April 20, 2009. After Emulex's board of directors recommended against the sale, Broadcom increased the company's offer to $11 per share on June 30, which valued the company at $925 million. It too was rejected on July 9, 2009. Subsequently, Broadcom announced it would withdraw its offer. In February 2015, Avago Technologies Limited (which later merged with Broadcom) announced it would acquire Emulex Corporation for $8 per share in cash.
Emulex was founded in 1979 by Fred B. Cox "as a supplier of data storage products and data communications equipment for the computer industry."
By 1983 Emulex was able to advertise its products as if they're grocery items: a 2-page spread headlined "One stop shopping for VAX users? Emulex, of course" showed 3 paper bags, each with the Emulex name and logo and each holding a large computer board. One bag also said "Disk Controllers" while the second bag said "Communication Controllers;" the third said "Tape Controllers."
- "Form 10-K". Emulex Inc., United States Securities and Exchange Commission. 2008-08-20. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
For the fiscal year ended: July 29, 2008
- ELX: Key Statistics for Emulex INC - Yahoo! Finance
- "Corporate Fact Sheet" (PDF). June 3, 2008. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Emulex Acquires Giganet for $645 million
- Broadcom Offers to Acquire Emulex for $9.25 in Cash
- Broadcom (BRCM) Raises Offer for Emulex (ELX) to $11 - StreetInsider.com
- Emulex Board Unanimously Rejects Broadcom's $11.00 Per Share Offer "Emulex Corporation"
- Broadcom Drops Takeover Bid for Emulex - CNBC.com
- "Avago Financial News 2015-02-25".
- Cristina Lee (June 30, 1990). "Emulex Corp. Founder to Give Up His Job as Firm's Chief Executive". LA Times.
- "One stop shopping for VAX users? Emulex, of course". The DEC Professional. November 1983. pp. 36–37.
- "EMULEX disc drive".
- B. Kridle (July 27, 1983). "Performance Effects of Disk Subsystem Choices for VAX Systems" (PDF).
Emulex's entry into the VAX 11/780 SBI controller field ...