Enai Noki Paayum Thota
|Enai Noki Paayum Thota|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gautham Menon|
|Produced by||Ishari K. Ganesh|
|Written by||Gautham Menon|
|Music by||Darbuka Siva|
|Cinematography||Jomon T. John|
|Distributed by||Vels Film International|
Enai Noki Paayum Thota (transl. The bullet fired at me) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film written, directed and co-produced by Gautham Menon. The film features Dhanush and Megha Akash in the lead roles. The film began production in March 2016 and was completed in September 2018. It was released on 29 November 2019.
The story starts off with Raghu (Dhanush) about to be shot and subsequently subduing his attackers. He defeats most of them but one guy shoots a bullet at him. The story is then told in flashbacks.
Raghu lives with his mother, father (Vela Ramamoorthy) and sister in Pollachi. He has an elder brother Thiru (M. Sasikumar) who left their house after his girlfriend was killed during a biking accident. Raghu is in his final year of college studying Computer Science and Engineering when he meets Lekha (Megha Akash), an actress forced to act against her will. After a few more encounters, they become friends which eventually blossoms into love. Raghu takes her to his house to introduce Lekha to his parents and they accept her. However, Kuberan, a film director and producer, comes to Raghu's house and takes Lekha away after threatening Raghu's family. Raghu doesn't hear from Lekha again and is hurt, thinking she dumped him. Back to the present, the bullet hits Raghu's belt buckle harmlessly and he defeats the attackers and successfully escapes.
Four years later from the flashback, Raghu receives a call from Lekha who tells that she is with Thiru who is in trouble. She further asks him to come to Mumbai to help Thiru, so Raghu arrives at Mumbai. He finds out that Thiru is a police officer working undercover to expose an illegal arms deal who is now on the run after the cops are after him. Thiru is arrested and taken to court, where cops and goons attack him. Thiru and Raghu, who comes there on the behest of Arun Bhide, Thiru's senior, subdues the attackers and Thiru escapes without seeing Raghu. Back to the present, Raghu finds the location Lekha had asked him to come to and finds her held at knife point. He defeats the goons in a wild rage and rescues Lekha. They get into an auto where Thiru also appears and the brothers reconcile. However, the auto is attacked and Thiru is killed in the shootout, leaving Raghu devastated. Before the auto was attacked, Thiru had given Raghu a keychain and asked him to keep it safe. Lekha then narrates what happened after Kuberan took her from Raghu's house.
Kuberan wanted Lekha to act in more films against her interest and to make her do so, he thrashed his son and wife in rage. She had finally agreed to act out of fear for Raghu and his family. Kuberan then took her to Mumbai where he pimped her to other actors, where she is rescued by Thiru. One day, Thiru asked her to accompany him and he visited a gym and a few other places. It was during this time that Lekha had contacted Raghu. In the present, Raghu takes Lekha to where he is staying currently, his college senior Mythili's (Sunaina) room, to keep her safe. Kuberan finds out Lekha's location and arrives with DCP Nagaraj to take Lekha away again, but Raghu beats up Kuberan and stabs Nagaraj a few times, who was revealed to have shot down Thiru. He escapes again with Mythili and Lekha and tries to clear his brother's name.
He visits the gym that Thiru had visited but finds the locker to be empty on opening it. The police arrive, with DCP Suraj, revealed to be a corrupt cop who got Thiru embroiled in this problem, and arrest Raghu. Kuberan, in the meantime, arrives after finding Lekha's location and takes Lekha and Mythili away. Raghu is taken to a room, revealed to be Thiru's safe house, and Raghu attacks the cops before being shot by Nagaraj. One of the cops shoots Nagaraj dead in anger and the room is locked. Saved by the keychain, Raghu discovers a table which has a keyhole that matches with the key Thiru had given him (the keychain was actually a key) and opens it. He finds a hard drive and a laptop inside which reveals illegal arms dealings done by many influential people. He then calls Kuberan and arranges a meeting to give the hard disk. The police arrive as well and Raghu shoots all of them dead. Thiru's name is finally cleared and is hailed as a hero while those involved in the dealings were arrested. Raghu arrives at his sister's wedding with Lekha and Mythili, after performing the last rites for Thiru. He tells his parents that Thiru is doing well and that he is a police officer. The film ends in a voice over from Raghu, stating that this isn't over and he will go after everyone who was responsible for Thiru's death.
- Dhanush as Raghu
- Megha Akash as Lekha, an actress
- Sasikumar as Thiru, Raghu's elder brother
- Senthil Veerasamy as Kuberan
- Sunaina as Mythili
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Raghu's father
- Munna as Anand Bhai
- Rana Daggubati as the director of a film starring Lekha (guest appearance)
Gautham Menon first discussed the script of Enai Noki Paayum Thota with actor Suriya during mid-2013, but the actor's rejection meant that they instead chose to finalise Dhruva Natchathiram as their next project together. However, soon after the pair had creative differences and their intended collaboration in 2013 was cancelled.
The film was relaunched with Dhanush in the lead role during February 2016, after Gautham and Dhanush had discussed the script following their work on a talk show. Intended to be a quick project, the team expected to finish the shoot within two months starting from March 2016. Jomon T. John was signed as the film's cinematographer, while actress Megha Akash was selected to play the leading female role after Gautham was impressed with her work in the unreleased, Oru Pakka Kathai. The film was announced as a joint production between Gautham Menon and P. Madan of Escape Artists Motion Pictures, while Harris Jayaraj was chosen as the music composer, after A. R. Rahman turned down the offer citing a busy schedule . Harris Jayaraj later opted out, and the team considered Santhosh Narayanan and Yuvan Shankar Raja as his replacement, before opting to keep the identity of the final composer as a secret. For a further role of the antagonist, the makers approached S. J. Surya for the character, but he turned down the opportunity. Gautham also considered playing the role, but opted against doing so owing to his multiple ongoing directorial ventures, and Gautham's associate Senthil Veerasamy was later selected.
The film's shoot began at SSN Engineering College in Chennai during mid-March 2016. Dhanush and Megha Akash shot scenes on the first day, and were joined by Rana Daggubati, who would portray a guest role. In April 2016, the team travelled to Turkey to film a song and scenes in regions including Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir and Alanaya. Gautham had initially attempted to simultaneously shoot the film's Turkey schedule alongside his commitments for his other long-delayed venture, Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada (2016), but the lead actor of the other film, Silambarasan, opted not to turn up to the shoot. In October 2016, following a brief production break to allow Dhanush and Gautham to finish other ventures, the team shot an action scene with Stunt Silva in areas across Chennai such as Alwarpet and Thiruvanmiyur. Scenes featuring actress Sunaina and actor Vela Ramamoorthy were also shot in late 2016.
In November 2016, Gautham revealed that 85% of the film's shoot was complete and that only one more schedule in Mumbai remained. He added that five songs were shot as montages, because the team had not yet finalised a music composer. The film's first look posters and teaser were released in the same month, and the team announced a February 2017 release, but the date was not met after the film ran into financial troubles. Gautham also later revealed that he was yet to write a climax to the film and that the film had started shoot without a complete script.
Following a year-long production delay owing to financial problems and Gautham and Dhanush's other commitments, another schedule began in December 2017, with Gautham suggesting it would complete the film. A further final ten day schedule was then shot in Mumbai during July 2018 with extra scenes added to include actor Sasikumar, who's character would play the elder brother of Dhanush's character. Principal photography ended in September.
In regard to the continuous delay of the film, Dhanush stated that he was unaware of the financial reasons behind the delay but that he agreed to film whenever Gautham had requested. The South Indian Film Financiers’ Association (SIFFA) later announced that their members would not finance any of Gautham's films unless Enai Noki Paayum Thota or his other long-delayed venture Dhruva Natchathiram were released. The film was censored without Dhanush dubbing for his character, and even by March 2019, Dhanush's salary had not been settled. The film skipped several more proposed release dates throughout late 2018 and early 2019, before getting for release in early September 2019.
|Enai Noki Paayum Thota|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Darbuka Siva chronology|
|Singles from Enai Noki Paayum Thota|
A. R. Rahman was approached to compose for the film, but he declined citing a busy schedule. Then the music director was kept secret by Gautham himself, simply referring the composer as Mr. X. The first single, Maruvaarthai was released on 10 February 2017 and a second single, Naan Pizhaippeno was released on 25 March 2017. Thamarai is the lyricist for these 2 singles.
After much speculations of who being the music composer of the film, it was revealed that Mr. X is Darbuka Siva through Gautham's Twitter post, marking their first collaboration after previously working with Harris Jayaraj, A. R. Rahman, and Illaiyaraja. The restrung version of Maruvaarthai was released on 17 October and therefore, all the songs of this film are now credited with Darbuka Siva as the music director. In April 2019, the audio rights were transferred from Ondraga to Sony Music.
|2.||"Naan Pizhaippeno"||Thamarai||D. Sathyaprakash||6:01|
|3.||"Poi Varavaa"||Madhan Karky||Bombay Jayashri||1:10|
|4.||"Visiri"||Thamarai||Sid Sriram, Shashaa Tirupati||5:11|
|5.||"Thirudaadhe Thirudaadhe"||Thamarai, Aaryan Dinesh Kanagaratnam||Darbuka Siva, Karthik, Aaryan Dinesh Kanagaratnam, Jonita Gandhi||6:25|
|6.||"Adadaa Naana"||Thamizhanangu||Nakul Abhyankar||4:15|
|7.||"Hey Nijame"||Madhan Karky||Bombay Jayashri||4:35|
|8.||"Maruvaarthai – Restrung Version"||Thamarai||Sid Sriram||5:01|
|9.||"Maruvaarthai – Unplugged"||Thamarai||Sid Sriram||4:48|
|1.||"Maruvaali"||Ananta Sriram||Sid Sriram||5:56|
|2.||"Yetu Manam Pogalaam"||Chaitanya Prasad||Sid Sriram, Shashaa Tirupathi||5:10|
|3.||"Freak Out"||Chaitanya Prasad & Rakendu Mouli||Sanjana Kalmanje, Sathyaprakash, Darbuka Siva & Rakendu Mouli||6:25|
|4.||"Kaalam Kadhaladhe"||Chaitanya Prasad||Darbuka Siva, Sathyaprakash||5:57|
|5.||"Avuna Nena"||Chaitanya Prasad||Nakul Abhyankar||4:10|
Enai Noki Paayum Thota was planned to release in December 2018 but was delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. In November 2018, Lyca Productions bought the film's rights but soon opted out due to some issues. As of May 2019, the film was facing uncertainty over its release due to Menon's financial problems and Arka Media Works's stay on films produced/distributed by S. N. Rajarajan. However, in August, Menon announced that the film would be released on 6 September 2019. On 5 September, the film's release was further delayed due to lingering financial issues; it was later pushed to 15 November 2019, and then finally to 29 November after Ishari K. Ganesh of Vels Films International bought the film's rights.
Pradeep Kumar of The Hindu wrote "ENPT is no stroke of genius from Gautham Menon. But the way he makes the film punch way above its weight, is a mark of one". India Today gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Director Gautham Menon's Enai Noki Paayum Thota starring Dhanush and Megha Akash has a solid storyline. But the promising action drama is diluted by weak writing. Marks Gautham Menon's big-screen comeback after four years. Backed by brilliant performances, the film is a decent watch minus the crazy coincidences". The News Minute gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Gautham Menon’s film is stylish but has little substance, his thrillers increasingly feel like he’s remaking the same template over and over again". The Times of India gave 2 out of 5 stars stating "'Enai Noki Paayum Thota' is more or less a reiteration of Gautham Vasudev Menon's previous film, Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada. A competently shot but less than compelling film".
CNN-News18 gave 2 out of 5 stars stating "Cinema has long ceased to be fantasy and make-believe. Gautham Vasudev Menon helms this kind of unbelievable existence, his earlier works too have more or less remained in this groove. Dhanush is not a bad actor, and has learnt to be subdued and subtle, not giving himself to histrionics. But his range is something we have never seen". Firstpost gave 2 out of 5 stars stating "Enai Noki Paayum Thota is way off the target and should have been shorter. The Gautham Menon magic is clearly missing". IndiaGlitz gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Though completely reminiscent of Achcham Yenbathu Madamaiyada, Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta survives and works despite predictability, thanks to Dhanush, the rich technical aspects and few enjoyable GVM brand romance sequences and terrific action episodes". Sify gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Average romantic action thriller".
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thotta release date is here". Times of India. 3 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "'VAANGA DA!': WATCH DHANUSH'S BEAST MODE ACTION SEQUENCES IN 'ENAI NOKI PAAYUM THOTA' HERE!". Behindwoods.
- "'It is not in my hands': Dhanush on 'Enai Noki Paayum Thota's delay". The News Minute.
- "Gautham Menon & Dhanush Team up for en Mel Paayum Thotta". Silverscreen.in. 10 February 2016.
- "Dhanush gives a nod to Gautham Menon's Yenai Nokki Paayum Thotta". Deccan Chronicle. 18 February 2016.
- "Dhanush-Gautham Menon project titled 'Enmel Payyum Thota'". Indianexpress.com. 9 February 2016.
- "Jomon T John will be the cinematographer for Gautham Menon-Dhanush film". Behindwoods.com. 19 February 2016.
- "Yenai Nokki Paayum Thotta: Is it Dhanush vs Rana Daggubati in Gautham's next?". Indiatoday.in.
- "Baahubali star Rana Daggubati joins the cast of Dhanush's Enai Noki Paayum Thota". Behindwoods.com. 15 March 2016.
- "Actor Dhanush and Director Gautham Menon busy shooting for the next film in Turkey". Thenewsminute.com. 5 April 2016.
- "Enai Nokki Paayum Thota: Has director Gautham Menon revealed the story of the film?". Indiatoday.in.
- "Dhanush to shoot ENPT in Turkey". Sify.com.
- "Gautham starts shooting his film with Dhanush – Tamil News". Indiaglitz.com. 14 March 2016.
- "Gautham Menon to hit two birds with one stone". Indiatoday.in.
- "Simbu does not turn up for shoot: Gautham Menon". The Times of India.
- Subramanian, Anupama (9 July 2016). "Things will be sorted out with Simbu: Gautham Menon". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Sunaina a part of Gautham Menon's Enai Noki Paayum Thota". Behindwoods.com. 4 May 2017.
- "Gautham Menon's Enai Noki Paayum Thotta shoots a crucial action scene". Behindwoods.com. 22 October 2016.
- K, Janani (24 October 2016). "Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta nearing completion". Deccan Chronicle.
- "No composer yet but Gautham Menon shoots songs with Dhanush for new film". Hindustan Times. 14 November 2016.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota: Dhanush resumes shooting after several months' delay". India Today.
- "'Enai Nokki Paayum Thota' – First Look". Sify.com.
- Menon, Vishal (13 November 2016). "I don't mind being called elitist: Gautham Menon". Thehindu.com.
- "Gautham Menon, Dhanush Resume Shooting For Long-Delayed Enai Noki Paayam Thota". Silverscreen.in. 13 December 2017.
- "Gautham Menon reveals Enai Noki Paayum Thota's composer". The New Indian Express.
- "Gautham Menon resumes Enai Noki Paayum Thota shoot; Sasikumar joins the cast". Indianexpress.com. 17 July 2018.
- "Gautham Menon Wraps Up Shoot For 'Enai Noki Paayum Thota'". Slverscreen.in. 5 September 2018.
- "Dhanush's Enai Noki Paayum Thota set to clash with Vijay's Sarkar at box office". Indianexpress.com. 5 September 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 August 2019. Retrieved 26 August 2019.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Film Financiers Decide To Stop Funding Gautham Vasudev Menon Till He Releases Pending Films". Silverscreen.in. 8 March 2019.
- "Gautham Menon's ENPT clears censors. Expected to get a release this summer". The New Indian Express.
- "Dhanush's ENPT producer says trailer of ENPT is ready and movie will release this April". Behindwoods.com. 7 March 2019.
- "The mystery behind Mr. X of Dhanush starrer, Ennai Nokki Paayum Thotta". The Indian Express. 11 February 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Officially Revealed: Finally! Mr.X Of ENPT Is This Young Sensational Music Director!". BehindWoods.com. 18 October 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Gauthamvasudevmenon on Twitter: "The restrung cult Maruvaarthai! Most of you know who the composer is but here it is officially Such Blessed talent!"". Twitter. 17 October 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota Songs Download, Enai Noki Paayum Thota Tamil MP3 Songs, Raaga.com Tamil Songs". Raaga.com.
- "Sony Music snaps ENPT, to release in May?". Sify.com.
- "Exclusive: Dhanush's Enai Noki Paayum Thota will release in May, says distributer SN Rajarajan". In.com. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- "Lyca acquires Dhanush's 'Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta'". Thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- "Telangana HC stalls Dhanush's Enai Noki Paayum Thota, Vijay Sethupathi's Sindhubaadh's release – here's why". Timesnownews.com. 14 May 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Gautham Menon announces the release date of 'Ennai Noki Paayum Thotta'". The Times of India.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (5 September 2019). "Enai Noki Paayum Thota release postponed (again): Here's why Gautam Menon-Dhanush's film keeps getting pushed". Firstpost. Archived from the original on 5 September 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "ENPT: Dhanush and Gautham Menon film to finally release on November 15". India Today. 2 October 2019. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "'Enai Noki Paayum Thota' gets yet another release date". The Hindu. 2 November 2019. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- "'Enai Noki Paayum Thota' review: A film for the 'romantic at heart'". The Hindu. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota Movie Review". India Today. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "'Enai Noki Paayum Thota' review". The News Minute. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thotta Movie Review". Times of India. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota Movie Review: Gautham Menon Turns Dhanush Into Superman". CNN-News18. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota movie review: Dhanush-starrer is Gautham Menon's weakest film yet". Firstpost. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Noki Paayum Thota Review". IndiaGlitz. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Enai Nokki Paayum Thotta review: Tiring and Unsatisfying". Sify. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.