MusicTime Deluxe is a 'reduced functionality' version of Encore.
Encore is meant to play back music – either imported as MIDI, recorded from a MIDI device, or entered with mouse and keyboard.
Lyrrus Inc., d.b.a. GVOX purchased the intellectual property of Passport in 1998 and Encore 5 was released 10 years after Encore 4.
Encore is notable for being one of the first scorewriter programs to enable items in the musical score to be added and edited using the mouse .
Encore 5 included wizards to create scores for numerous types of ensembles from scratch, MusicXML support (although in now obsolete 1.3 version), use of VST, and J.S. Bach complete works for keyboard in Encore format.
Direct competitors in the music notation niche have taken market lead over the last decade, surpassing Encore in features and improved standards. While Encore runs on the latest versions of Windows, it is not compatible with macOS 10.15 (Catalina), and it lacks support in some areas, such as for 4k displays, recent MIDI to USB applications, and later versions of VST.
Passport Music Software, LLC claimed to be reworking Encore, departing from the original code that was created over 20 years ago. With no version updates since at least 2015 (version 5.0.4 for Windows and 5.0.7 for macOS), Passport Music Software closed doors in early 2022.
- List of music software
- Overture (software), a notation program being developed by the same author, Don Williams, and sharing the original Encore interface
- Passport Designs
- Gvox Encore History
- Encore's History
- "Easy Music Software by GVOX". Archived from the original on 10 August 2013.
- "About Us – Passport Music Software". Archived from the original on 17 July 2022. Retrieved 23 August 2022.
- "News". Passport Music. Passport Music Software, LLC. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Passport Music Software, LLC". Archived from the original on 3 February 2022.
- "Passport Music Software". Archived from the original on 23 August 2022. Retrieved 23 August 2022.