Cover of the book
The Encyclopedia Islamica is an encyclopedia on Islamic and Iranian studies published by Brill, comprising a projected 16-volume translation of selected articles from the new Persian Dā'erat-ol-Ma'āref-e Bozorg-e Eslāmi (Persian: دائرةالمعارف بزرگ اسلامی, "The Great Islamic Encyclopaedia"), supplemented by additional articles written in English by scholars affiliated with the Institute of Ismaili Studies.
The Persian-language project has been led by Kazem Mousavi-Bojnourdi since 1983, when the Center for the Great Islamic Encyclopedia was established in Teheran for the purpose of constituting a scientific committee to oversee its creation. The project, which provides comprehensive coverage of Shia Islam has sparked considerable interest in the Islamic world and is being consulted by many Persian-speaking scholars of Islamic studies. As of 2016, the encyclopedia is at the ninth letter of the Persian alphabet and its 22nd completed volume.
Brill's Encyclopedia Islamica, which is edited by Farhad Daftary and Wilferd Madelung, is currently at its fifth volume. It was begun in 2008 and is expected to be completed in 2023. It is intended for advanced graduate students and scholars who require meticulous documentation.
- Mousa al-Reza Wahdati. Review of Encyclopaedia Islamica Volume 3 (Adab – al-Bāb al-Ḥādī ͑ashar) ed. by Farhad Daftary, Wilferd Madelung. Journal of Shi'a Islamic Studies. Volume 8, Number 1, Winter 2015. pp. 107–109.
- Suzanne M. Estelle-Holmer. Review of Wilferd Madelung and Farhad Daftary, eds. Encyclopaedia Islamica, Vol. 1: ‘Aba’- Abu Hanifa. Theological Librarianship. An Online Journal of the American Theological Library Association. Volume 2, Number 2 • December 2009. pp. 103–104.
- Bauden, Frédéric. Review of Encyclopaedia Islamica, volume 1 (A-Abū Ḥanīfa), éd. Farhad Daftary et Wilferd Madelung. Moyen Age (Le). CXIX(2), pp. 465–466 (In French).
- Dā'erat-ol-Ma'āref-e Bozorg-e Eslāmi
- "Encyclopaedia Islamica vol.5 is published". Centre for the Great Islamic Encyclopaedia. 17 April 2016.
- Encyclopaedia Islamica Online
- Official Persian text of the first 22 volumes – official website
- The official announcement at Brill Publication with a preview
- Translation by The Institute of Ismaili Studies
|This article about an Islamic studies book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|