Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop
|Subject||Australian rock music history|
|Publisher||Allen & Unwin|
|LC Class||ML102.R6 M38 1999|
The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop or Rock and Pop by Australian music journalist Ian McFarlane is a guide to Australian popular music from the 1950s to the late 1990s. The encyclopedia was described in Australian Music Guide as "the most exhaustive and wide-ranging encyclopedia of Australian music from the 1950s onwards".
The encyclopedia is out of print, but was for a time available on the whammo.com.au online record store, and is still in the Internet Archive. In 2017 the second edition was published by Third Stone Press.
Publishers, Allen & Unwin describe McFarlane's encyclopedia as containing over 870 entries and is an "essential reference to the bands and artists who molded the shape of Australian popular music [...] in an A-to-Z encyclopedia format complete with biographical and historical details. Each entry also includes listings of original band lineups and subsequent changes, record releases, career highlights, and cross-references with related bands and artists."
United States Barnes & Noble reviewer, David Turkalo, found that although it was written solidly and had "a surprising number of Australian-American connections", it was too specialised for general American library patrons.
The second edition appeared in 2017 and was updated to 2016. Steven Carroll of The Sydney Morning Herald opined that "Any survey of Australian pop and rock that includes entries on such bands as Serious Young Insects (via Boom Crash Opera) is a serious tome. It's so easy to get lost in this revised edition: one band leading to another, and so on, until you're suddenly asking yourself what happened to the last hour."
- "McFarlane, Ian, 1959–". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop". Allen & Unwin. December 1999. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "Australian Music Books" (PDF). Australian Music Guide. March 2004. p. 4. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 February 2006. Retrieved 29 November 2008. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- McFarlane, Ian; Jenkins, Jeff (2017). The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop (2nd ed.). Gisborne, VIC: Third Stone Press. ISBN 978-0-9953856-0-3.
- "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop, Ian McFarlane, Book". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- Turkalo, David M. "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop, Ian McFarlane, Book". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- Noel McGrath's Australian encyclopaedia of rock & pop / Noel McGrath. National Library of Australia. ISBN 0-7270-1909-0. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- Carroll, Steven (17 March 2017). "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop review: a glorious journey". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- Online version of the book as stored at the Internet Archive
- Turkalo, David M (15 May 2000). "The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop.(Review)". Library Journal. Library Journals, LLC. 125 (9): 82. ISSN 0363-0277.