Encyclopedia of Homosexuality
The Encyclopedia of Homosexuality (1990) was edited by Wayne R. Dynes, with the assistance of associate editors William A. Percy, Warren Johansson, and Stephen Donaldson. It was published in two volumes by Garland Press in 1990. The Encyclopedia contains 770 articles. It was reviewed positively in Reference & User Services Quarterly and, at length, in the Journal of Homosexuality. It was listed on several "best books of the year" lists.
In 1995 the Encyclopedia was withdrawn by Garland, following accusations in the Chronicle of Higher Education that the editor, Dynes, had published articles under the pseudonym Evelyn Gettone. Dynes admitted that he had done so and apologized. Dynes subsequently said that this was due to "a pressure group of leftist and feminist activists who viewed the Encyclopedia as lacking in political correctness".
Shortly after its publication, work on an abbreviated edition of the Encyclopedia began, coordinated by Stephen Donaldson, and including new and revised articles. Because of Garland's withdrawal of the Encyclopedia, this concise version was never published.
- Gough, Cal (1 January 1990). "Review of Encyclopedia of Homosexuality". RQ. 30 (1): 116–118. doi:10.2307/25828704 (inactive 2018-09-11). JSTOR 25828704.
- According to P. Nation in Publishers Weekly, January 1992, the American Library Association's Award for one of 1990's Outstanding Reference Sources; Library Journals and Booklists Best Reference Books of the Year; Publishing Triangle's Editor's Choice Lambda Literary Award http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/9202100561/scaled-down
- LizMcMillan, "Pseudonym or Hoax?", Chronicle of Higher Education, May 26, 1995, http://chronicle.com/article/Pseudonym-or-Hoax-/85818/; follow-up letter, June 16, 1995, http://chronicle.com/article/The-Encyclopedia-of/83619/; commentary by Francine Fialkoff, "In reference we trust?", Library Journal, 6/15/1995, Vol. 120 Issue 11, p. 58, http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/editorials/9506307616/reference-we-trust
- "Editor of Encyclopedia of Homosexuality apologizes," Chronicle of Higher Education, June 16, 1995, https://chronicle.com/article/Editor-of-Encyclopedia-of/83574/
- Wayne R. Dynes, "Why the Encyclopedia of Homosexuality Went Out of Print", http://williamapercy.com/wiki/index.php?title=EOH:WHYOutOfPrint
Full text archives:
Partial archive of concise version:
- "concise.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-09-01.