End of the Line (Traveling Wilburys song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"End of the Line"|
|Single by Traveling Wilburys|
|from the album Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1|
|Released||23 January 1989 (US)
20 February 1989 (UK)
|Format||7" single, 12" single, 3" CD single, Cassette single|
Roy Orbison 
|Producer(s)||Nelson Wilbury, Otis Wilbury|
|Traveling Wilburys singles chronology|
|Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 track listing|
"End of the Line" is the last track from the Traveling Wilburys' first album, Volume 1, released in 1989. Its riding-on-the-rails rhythm suggests its theme and the on-the-move nature of the group. It features all the Wilburys (except Bob Dylan who was on tour at the time) as lead singers; George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, and Roy Orbison sing the choruses in turn, while Tom Petty sings the verses. The song then expands into a "freight train" rhythm to underscore its theme.
It was released as the second single from the album, eventually peaking at No. 63 in the U.S. on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The music video for "End of the Line" was filmed after Roy Orbison's death in December 1988. To honor the loss, a shot of a guitar sitting in a rocking chair next to a photo of Orbison was used when his vocals are heard.
"End of the Line" appeared in the George Harrison-produced cult comedy, Checking Out.
A version sung by Dennis Waterman was used as the theme tune for the pilot of the BBC production, New Tricks. The song has also been included in TV spots for the 2004 film The Terminal, as well as the trailer for the 2007 hit comedy Knocked Up.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played this song live during their 2008 North American tour.
The song was used on the end credits of the Australian family, comedy film Red Dog: True Blue in 2016.
- 7" single, Cassette single
- A "End of the Line" (LP Version) – 3:30
- B "Congratulations" (LP Version) – 3:30
- 12" single, 3" CD single
- A "End of the Line" (Extended Version) – 5:34
- B "Congratulations" (LP Version) – 3:29
- George Harrison – lead vocals (1st, 4th, and 7th choruses), slide guitar, backing vocals
- Tom Petty – lead vocals (verses), bass guitar
- Jeff Lynne – lead vocals (2nd, 5th, and 6th choruses), electric rhythm guitar
- Roy Orbison – lead vocals (3rd chorus), electric rhythm guitar
- Bob Dylan – acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Jim Keltner – drums, backing vocals (in video)