End of the Road
|"End of the Road"|
U.S. commercial cassette single
|Single by Boyz II Men|
|from the album Boomerang Soundtrack and
|Released||June 30, 1992|
|Format||CD single, CD maxi, 7" single|
|Recorded||Spring 1992, Philadelphia|
|Writer(s)||Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds,
Antonio "L.A." Reid,
|Producer(s)||Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds,
Antonio "L.A." Reid
(co-producer: Daryl Simmons)
|Boyz II Men singles chronology|
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
"End of the Road" is a single recorded by American R&B group Boyz II Men for the Boomerang soundtrack. It was released in 1992 and written and produced by Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, L.A. Reid and Daryl Simmons.
The song achieved overwhelming domestic and international success.
In the United States, "End of the Road" spent a then record-breaking 13 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Whitney Houston would later break this record in the same year, with "I Will Always Love You", spending 14 weeks at #1. Boyz II Men would later match and break Houston's record with two of their future releases:
- "I'll Make Love to You" (1994 – 14 weeks at #1);
- "One Sweet Day" (Duet with Mariah Carey) (1995 – 16 weeks at #1).
Due to the success of the single, Boyz II Men's debut album Cooleyhighharmony was re-issued in 1992 and 1993 to include the song.
At the 1993 Grammy Awards, "End of the Road" was nominated for two Grammys, winning both: Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, and Best R&B Song.
"End of the Road" is considered one of the most successful songs of all time. It was the #1 single of 1992 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1992. It is ranked by Billboard as the 6th most successful song of the 1990-1999 decade. It is also ranked at #50 on Billboard's "All-Time Top 100 Songs"
Release and Chart Performance
"End of the Road" was released on June 30, 1992. It was released as a single from the Boomerang soundtrack and did not originally appear on Boyz II Men's debut album, CooleyHighHarmony. It was released after all singles from their debut had been released, and was their fifth single overall.
"End of the Road" debuted at #53 on the Billboard Hot 100 on July 18, 1992. Within 4 weeks, it reached #1, holding the position for 13 consecutive weeks from August 15, 1992 - November 7, 1992. It also spent four weeks atop of the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
It is their most successful song to date.
- End of the Road (Pop Edit) 3:39
- End of the Road (Radio Edit w/ Acapella End) 4:13
- End of the Road (LP Version) 5:50
- End of the Road (Instrumental) 5:16
- "End of the Road" (pop edit) — 3:39
- "End of the Road" (instrumental version) — 5:16
- A End of the Road (LP Version)
- B End of the Road (Instrumental Version)
The song has been covered by several artists, including Me First and the Gimme Gimmes on their album Take a Break, We Are Scientists in concert, Gladys Knight on the live medley from her album Just for You, and the Backstreet Boys during their concerts in 1996. It was also performed by guitarist Paul Jackson Jr. on his 1993 album A River In The Desert.
Bassist Michael Manson covered the song from his 2008 album "Up Front". Marcela Morelo recorded a Spanish version of the song in her 2009 album "Otro plan". South Korean boy group U-KISS did an a cappella version of the hit song. Westlife covered this on a cappella. In addition, Boyz II Men included a Spanish-language version ("Al final del camino") on their Spanish-language compilation Evolución.
During the series finale of the sitcom A Different World, Whitley led everyone in singing "End of the Road" at hers and Dwayne's farewell party as they prepared to leave for Tokyo.
In Muppets Most Wanted, the song is covered by the Gulag prisoners.
- The song is often used as a "last song" before a radio station changes formats, most recently on February 6, 2015, when KHHT in Los Angeles, California, played it before flipping from rhythmic oldies as "Hot 92.3" to urban contemporary as "Real 92.3".
- The song was used in the Fresh Off The Boat episode, "Boy II Man", aired on September 29, 2015.
Awards and nominations
- Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal – Boyz II Men – "End of the Road" (winner)
- Best R&B Song – Babyface, Daryl Simmons, L.A. Reid – "End of the Road" (winner)
End of decade charts
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1992 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B singles of 1992 (U.S.)
- List of number-one singles in 1992 (New Zealand)
- List of number-one singles from the 1990s (UK)
- List of European number-one hits of 1992
- Dutch Top 40 number-one hits of 1992
- List of number-one singles in Australia during the 1990s
- Geoff Mayfield (December 25, 1999). 1999 The Year in Music Totally '90s: Diary of a Decade - The listing of Top Pop Albums of the '90s & Hot 100 Singles of the '90s. Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Hot 100 55th Anniversary: The All-Time Top 100 Songs].". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-11-28.
- "RIAA - Certified Awards Search - "End of the Road"].". RIAA. Retrieved 2014-11-28.
- "Up Front overview". Allmusic.
- "March 2008". SmoothViews.com.
- "allmusic ((( Boomerang > Charts & Awards > GRAMMY Awards )))". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- "Australian-charts.com – Boyz II Men – End of the Road". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Boyz II Men – End of the Road" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Boyz II Men – End of the Road" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Single top 100 over 1992" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- Billboard - Google Books
- "Lescharts.com – Boyz II Men – End of the Road" (in French). Les classement single.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 7, 2008)
- "Charts.org.nz – Boyz II Men – End of the Road". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Boyz II Men – End of the Road". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Boyz II Men – End of the Road". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Boyz II Men – End of the Road". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "End of the Road", UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved April 7, 2008)
- 1992 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved August 2, 2008)
- Billboard - Google Books
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "UK certifications, database". Bpi. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - "End of the Road". RIAA.com. Retrieved October 27, 2009)
- on YouTube / VEVO official channel
- "End of the Road" at Discogs (list of releases)
- "End of the Road" at Discogs (Promotional version)
- "End of the Road" at Discogs (Japanese version)
- "Al Final del Camino" at Discogs (Spanish version)
- "End of the Road (A Cappella)" at Discogs (2008 single in UK)
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics