This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founders||Linda Rottenberg and Peter Kellner|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, United States|
|20+ affiliate offices in Latin America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Africa, and Europe|
|Linda Rottenberg (CEO)
Edgar Bronfman, Jr. (Chairman)
Fernando Fabre (President)
Number of employees
Endeavor is an organization headquartered in New York City that credits itself as pioneering the concept of high-impact entrepreneurship in growth markets around the world. Its mission is to select, mentor and accelerate the best High-Impact Entrepreneurs around the world.
Established in 1997, Endeavor is headquartered in New York City with a satellite office in San Francisco. It also has offices in Atlanta, Argentina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Detroit, Ecuador, Egypt, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Louisville, Malaysia, Mexico, Miami, Morocco, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, UAE and Uruguay. The organization expanded to 27 countries in 2017, including expansions in Africa, the Middle East, Europe and Southeast Asia.
Endeavor aims to identify and support those entrepreneurs with the greatest potential for economic and social impact in their regions. Endeavor provides the entrepreneurs in its network with services that will help them grow their ventures, create jobs, transform economies and support future generations of entrepreneurs.
Since 1997, Endeavor has screened and provided feedback to over 50,000 candidates and selected 1,500 High-Impact Entrepreneurs from 1,000 companies. Supported and mentored by a network of 2,500+ local and global business leaders, these entrepreneurs have created over 650,000 high-value jobs and in 2016 generated $10 billion in revenues. Among other impact metrics, companies in the Endeavor portfolio average a 68% growth rate within the first two years of selection. Currently, Endeavor Entrepreneurs donate annually back to the organization, which eventually aims to be self-sustaining.
- 1997: Linda Rottenberg and Peter Kellner establish Endeavor.
- 1998: The AVINA Foundation provides $500,000 in seed capital and an Argentine business leader provides a $200,000 matching grant. Endeavor initiates offices in Argentina and Chile.
- 1999: Endeavor organizes its first venture forums, linking international investors with emerging-market entrepreneurs.
- 2000: Endeavor launches Endeavor Brazil and Uruguay.
- 2001: Endeavor holds its ninth selection panel, and selects its 100th entrepreneur. Endeavor launches Endeavor Mexico. Time Magazine recognizes Endeavor’s founders as among the "Top 100 Innovators for the 21st Century" in its November 5, 2001 issue.
- 2002: The Schwab Foundation and the World Economic Forum endorse Endeavor as one of 40 leading examples of social entrepreneurship from around the world.,
- 2003: The International Finance Corporation funds Endeavor scoping trips to Africa, and Endeavor decides to launch a South Africa affiliate.
- 2004: Edgar Bronfman Jr becomes Chairman of Endeavor’s Global Board of Directors.
- 2006: James Wolfensohn, former president of The World Bank, joins Endeavor’s Global Board of Directors. Endeavor opens operations in Colombia and Turkey.
- 2007: Endeavor celebrates its 10th anniversary. MercadoLibre is the first Endeavor company to go public on NASDAQ. Thomas Friedman highlights Endeavor in the latest edition of his book, The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century Version 3.0.
- 2008: Endeavor opens affiliates in Egypt, Jordan and India. Wenceslao Casares, one of the first Endeavor Entrepreneurs, joins the Global Board of Directors. Linda Rottenberg co-chairs the World Economic Forum on the Middle East, held in Egypt. Endeavor receives a commitment of $10 million from the Omidyar Network.
- 2009: Endeavor launches the Mentor Capital Program, Global 25 Program, Endeavor Jordan, and Endeavor's Center for High-Impact Entrepreneurship research arm. Endeavor opens its satellite office in San Francisco. Endeavor Brazil engages 5.3MM people in Global Entrepreneurship Week. Second HBS case study is published, focused on Endeavor in the MENA region. Andy Freire becomes the first Entrepreneur to serve as a country board chairman (Argentina).
- 2010: Endeavor launches in Egypt. Endeavor’s CEO, MENA board members, and several Endeavor Entrepreneurs participate in US Presidential Summit on Entrepreneurship.
- 2011: Endeavor launches in Lebanon and Dubai (UAE).
- 2012: Endeavor introduces Endeavor Catalyst, a sustainability initiative, and launches in Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, and Greece.
- 2013: Endeavor launches in Miami, Florida and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as well as Casablanca, Morocco. Miami becomes its first location in the United States and Kuala Lumpur becomes the second location in Asia.
- 2014: Endeavor launches in Peru and Spain, its second location in Europe.
- 2015: Endeavor launches in the Philippines, Detroit, Louisville, and Bulgaria. The organization was also awarded the 2015 Henry Kravis Prize for Nonprofit Leadership.
Endeavor holds a gala fundraiser event in New York City every year. The Gala brings together nearly 500 top international business leaders, decision makers and Endeavor network members to celebrate the organization's work and honor the accomplishments of well-known entrepreneurs and executives.
Gala honorees have included:
- Stephen A. Schwarzman, CEO of Blackstone Group
- Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, Founders of Skype
- Rupert Murdoch, CEO of News Corp
- Jonathan Nelson, CEO of Providence Equity Partners
- Kevin P. Ryan, Michael Bryzek, Susan Lyne, Alexis Maybank, and Alexandra Wilkis Wilson of Gilt Groupe
- Reid Hoffman, Founder of LinkedIn
- Fadi Ghandour, CEO of Aramex
- Sir Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Group
- Designer Diane von Furstenberg
- Steve Case, Co-founder and former CEO of AOL
Endeavor also holds an invitation-only biennial summit that convenes leading entrepreneurs, investors and stakeholders in the Endeavor network to discuss and learn about strategies for entrepreneurial growth and innovation. The Summit regularly features panels, workshops and keynote talks from some of the world's leading entrepreneurs and business people.
The 2017 Summit took place in Half Moon Bay, California, and featured talks with Patagonia Founder Yvon Chouinard, Y Combinator's Sam Altman, Singularity U's Pascal Finette, noted political scientist and political economist Francis Fukuyama, and LinkedIn Co-founder Reid Hoffman, among other big names.
Thomas Friedman, best-selling author and Pulitzer Prize winning columnist, stated in his book The World is Flat that "Endeavor was formed for the purpose of promoting entrepreneurs in emerging markets. Its basic model is to link up small and midsize businesses with seasoned entrepreneurs so that little guys and gals can get the advice and contacts they need to grow their companies into bigger businesses that can employ more people -- the best antipoverty program of all."
Endeavor Global Board
- Edgar Bronfman, Jr. (Chairman), Accretive LLC, General Partner
- Michael J. Ahearn, True North Venture Partners Chairman & Managing Partner
- Emilio Azcárraga Jean, Televisa, Chairman, President, and CEO
- Matthew Bannick, Omidyar Network, Managing Partner; eBay, Former President
- Nicholas F. Beim, Matrix Partners, General Partner
- Matthew Brown, CAIS, Co-Founder & CEO
- Wenceslao Casares, Lemon.com, Founder & CEO; Endeavor Entrepreneur
- J. Michael Cline, Accretive LLC, Managing Partner
- Paul J. Fribourg, Continental Grain Company, Chairman & CEO
- Jason Green, Emergence Capital Partners, Founding General Partner
- Reid Hoffman, LinkedIn, Co-Founder and Executive Chairman
- Peter B. Kellner, Richmond Global LLC, Founder & Managing Partner; Endeavor, Co-founder
- William McGlashan, TPG Growth, Founder & Managing Partner
- Arif Naqvi, Abraaj Capital, Founder and Group CEO
- Joanna Rees, VSP Capital, Founder & Managing Partner
- Linda Rottenberg, Endeavor, Co-founder & CEO
- Elliot Weissbluth, HighTower Advisors, CEO & Director
- James Wolfensohn (emeritus), World Bank, Former President, Wolfensohn & Co, Chairman
- "Endeavor Affiliates". January 2014.
- "Endeavor Mission Statement". February 2014.
- "Endeavor Locations". July 2017.
- "Endeavor Model". January 2014.
- "Impact - Endeavor". Endeavor. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "Endeavor Top Metrics". February 2014.
- "The Justice". Thejusticeonline.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- Morse, Jodie (2001-11-05). "Charity Without The Checks". TIME. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship - Profiles". Schwabfound.org. Archived from the original on 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Tom Friedman Calls Endeavor's Model ``The Best Anti-Poverty Program of All''". Businesswire.com. 2007-07-25. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
-  Archived January 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- World Economic Forum on the Middle East Archived April 30, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ON | Endeavor Receives $10 Million Commitment from Omidyar Network to Support High Impact Entrepreneurship in Emerging Markets". Omidyar.com. 2008-07-31. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Endeavor launches a second Southeast Asian country affiliate in Malaysia". Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Matrix Partners " Team " Nick Beim". Matrixpartners.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Abraaj Capital | Investing in Foresight". Abraaj.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "America's Best Leaders: Linda Rottenberg, Entrepreneur - US News and World Report". Usnews.com. 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- Lorenzo, Mauro De. "Entrepreneurial Philanthropy in the Developing World". AEI. Retrieved 2011-03-24.