|Privately held company|
|Founded||december 13, 1994|
|Founder||Joop van den Ende
John de Mol
21st Century Fox (2015–present, 50%)
Apollo Global Management (2015–present, 50%)
Endemol Shine Group (2015–present)
Endemol is a Dutch-based media company that produces and distributes multiplatform entertainment content. The company annually produces more than 15,000 hours of programming across scripted and non-scripted genres, including drama, reality TV, comedy, game shows, entertainment, factual and kids programming.
Endemol comprises a global network of operations in more than 30 countries and works with over 300 broadcasters, digital platforms and licensees worldwide. The business covers development, production, marketing, distribution, franchise management and multi-platform initiatives including digital video, gaming and apps.
Endemol is controlled by Endemol Shine Group (a joint-venture between 21st Century Fox and Apollo Global Management) and headquartered in the Netherlands. Endemol created and runs reality, talent and game show franchises worldwide, including Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, Wipeout, The Money Drop, and Your Face Sounds Familiar. The company also has a portfolio of drama and comedy series including titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Hell On Wheels, Benidorm, Ripper Street, Black Mirror, Bad Education, My Mad Fat Diary, Hot in Cleveland, Kirstie, Leverage, Home and Away, Death Comes to Pemberley and The Crimson Field.
- 1 History
- 2 Global presence
- 3 Online Presence
- 4 Lawsuits
- 5 Productions
- 6 Notes
- 7 External links
Endemol was founded in 1994 by a merger of television production companies owned by Joop van den Ende and John de Mol, the name deriving from the combination of their surnames. Endemol has specialised in formatted programming that can be adapted for different countries around the world as well as different media platforms. One notable success has been the Big Brother reality television show, with versions in many countries after the initial Dutch version. Other examples include Deal or No Deal (sold to over 75 countries), The Money Drop (sold in over 50 countries), Fear Factor (sold in 30 countries) and Wipeout (sold in over 30 countries). In recent years the company has also been expanding its English language drama output with shows such as titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Ripper Street and Black Mirror in the UK and Hell On Wheels in the USA. In November 2013 the company launched Endemol Beyond, an international division specialising in original content for digital video platforms such as YouTube.
In 2000, Endemol was sold to the Spanish telecom and media corporation Telefónica for €5.5 billion. In November 2005, 25% of Endemol was taken public, and is since then listed on the Euronext Amsterdam exchange under the stock symbol EML. On May 14, 2007 the remaining 75% of Endemol shares were bought by a consortium, Edam Acquisition, led by Mediaset, the company controlled by Silvio Berlusconi's family, and including the investment company Cyrte, in which the original co-founder John de Mol has shares. The consortium announced on August 6, 2007, that it now owned 99.54% of Endemol shares, after an offer to buy the remaining shares went through on August 3, 2007; it asked the Euronext bourse for a delisting of Endemol.
A loan restructure was planned for 2011 when Endemol was expected to breach its debt covenants. On June 30, the debt covenants were breached at the same time that CEO Ynon Kreiz left the company and Endemol's UK subsidiary failed to file its annual accounts. On March 23, 2012, Endemol's debt was converted into shares by US private-equity firm Apollo Global Management. On April 3, 2012, Mediaset sold its majority stake in Endemol to Apollo and Dutch asset manager Cyrte, and Endemol restructured the bulk of its debt. The current CEO is Just Spee. On May 15, 2014, Apollo and 21st Century Fox announced a joint venture to combine 21st Century Fox's Shine Group and Apollo's Endemol and CORE Media Group. The deal closed October 2014.
Over the years Endemol has expanded its international presence either by starting up operations in new markets or by acquiring existing production companies. Most recently, in December 2013, Endemol became a shareholder in Israel's Channel 2 franchisee Reshet, following the acquisition in April of a controlling share in the Israeli independent producer Kuperman, which is now Endemol Israel.
On December 17, 2014, Endemol merged with fellow Apollo Global Management subsidiary Core Media, producer of American Idol, and 21st Century Fox’s Shine unit, with the resulting ‘mega-indie’ adopting the name "Endemol Shine Group", which was a 50:50 joint venture by both parent companies. The name took effect on January 1, 2015. 21st Century Fox’s predecessor company, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, had in 2011 bought Shine (founder and chairperson until the 2015 merger: Murdoch's daughter Elisabeth) for $673 million.
Endemol has the following operations around the world:
Endemol USA is the United States production branch of Endemol based in Los Angeles, California. It has been in operation since 2000. The branch produces Endemol's popular worldwide formats for the major American TV networks, such as Fear Factor, Deal or No Deal and 1 Vs. 100 for NBC; Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Show Me the Money, The One: Making a Music Star, Set for Life, and Wipeout for ABC; Exposed for MTV; Big Brother and Kid Nation for CBS; Midnight Money Madness for TBS (under the moniker Lock and Key Productions) and most recently, a game show adaptation of 20Q for GSN. Their worst faring franchise by far is The One which was canceled after four episodes. Fear Factor was canceled after six seasons; its first season is out now on DVD. Another one of their shows, Big Brother has two seasons already out on DVD. While Big Brother has had the most international success to date, their most successful USA program could end up being either Deal or No Deal or Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Both programs are wildly popular and highly rated.
Endemol USA created Midnight Money Madness for cable's TBS network, in which viewers can call in to play games and win money prizes. It is based on Endemol's successful Participation TV format. On October 13, 2006, Endemol USA launched another game show for NBC, 1 vs. 100 with Bob Saget, and debuted as another ratings winner. And on November 14, 2006, ABC premiered Show Me the Money, with William Shatner as its host. Midnight Money Madness was canceled in October 2006 after 32 episodes, in which its successor, Take the Cake, premiered July 9, 2007, and Show Me the Money was canceled in December 2006 after only five episodes aired. Currently, a syndicated five-day-a-week version of Deal or No Deal airs in over 90% of the USA, while Wipeout will begin its third season on ABC in summer 2010, and 20Q debuted on GSN in June 2009. In October 2008, Tokyo Broadcasting System filed a lawsuit against ABC (with a separate suit against Endemol pending) for claims that Wipeout copied elements from two of their popular shows, Takeshi's Castle (known as MXC in the USA) and Sasuke (better known in the USA as Ninja Warrior). Endemol USA also produces the Style Network hour-long reality series Jerseylicious, which debuted in 2010.
In June 2010, Endemol picked up the distribution rights to the TV Land sitcom "Hot in Cleveland", which it will distribute internationally. This marked the first time that Endemol has acquired an American-produced scripted series. Other scripted properties that Endemol also owns rights to include Happily Divorced and The Exes, also airing on TV Land.
In 2011, Endemol expanded its US production portfolio to include more non-reality fare, starting with The Steve Harvey Show, distributed by NBCUniversal Television Distribution. The hour-long talk/variety program premiered on September 10, 2012 in syndication. Another program, the mob-related crime drama Red Widow, will debut on ABC as a mid-season replacement in the 2012-2013 television season.
Endemol USA Latino, which produces Endemol USA's successful shows in Spanish language as shown on the major Hispanic TV networks. Their first production was Vas o No Vas based on the popular Deal or No Deal, which aired on Telemundo. Unlike Endemol USA's headquarters in Los Angeles, Endemol USA Latino has headquarters located in Miami, Florida.
Authentic Entertainment, Inc is a Burbank-based reality television company that has produced television series that cover a wide range of subjects (e.g. Ace of Cakes, Weird Travels, Toddlers & Tiaras, All On The Line, Surprise Homecoming, Flipping Out, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, Auction Kings, Off Limits, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo), and most recently Cheer Perfection and Is Your Dog A Genius? and air on multiple networks, including Bravo, the Food Network, TLC, and the Discovery Channel. Authentic produces about 200 hours of programming a year. Endemol has been the majority owner of Authentic Entertainment since 2010.
Authentic Entertainment, currently subsidiary of Endemol, was originally founded in 2000 by Lauren Lexton and Tom Rogan, who were familiar with each other in their work as freelance reality production staffers. It wasn't until 2010 that talk of Endemol owning a large stake in the production company became serious, as Endemol had approached them several years prior without success. The deal has since been finalized, and has been valued at US$60–70 million in unverified reports.
Through its New York City subsidiary True Entertainment it produces The Real Housewives of Atlanta, Catch It Keep It, A Baby Story, Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?, Mystery Diagnosis, The Robert Verdi Show, The A-List: New York, Make Room for Multiples, and Fashion Queens.
Earlier shows include Personal Conviction, Rebuilt: The Human Body Shop, A World Away, Band in a Bubble, Married Away, Mystery Medicine, Under One Roof, What's Your Sign Design?, HGTV Design Star, Unwrapping Macy's, Widow on the Hill, Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience, Go Ahead, Make My Dinner!, Town Haul, Guess Who's Coming To Decorate, B. Smith Style, The Good Buy Girls, The Gastineau Girls, and Town Haul Jeffersonville.
True Entertainment was founded in 2000 and by Steven Weinstock and Glenda Hersh both of whom had previously worked for New York Times subsidiary NYT Television. True was acquired by Endemol in 2003.
51 Minds Entertainment
Originally known as Broadcast Communications, Endemol UK is one of the UK's longest established production groups and won its first television commissions in the mid-1980s. It produces the main Endemol franchises such as Big Brother and Deal or No Deal.
In January 2006, Endemol started producing programs with the Sponsor Mr Mohit Raina who is held responsible to shortlist the Artist in different channels which are in Hindi & Malayalam from Mumbai, India. Among the company's most channels were like Mazhavil Manorama, STAR Plus, STAR One, Ndtv Imagine, Zee TV & Colors (TV channel)
|Year||TV Series||TV Channel|
|2007–2008||Funjabbi Chak De||STAR One|
|2007–2008||Champion Chaalbaaz No.1||Sony Entertainment Television|
|2008||The Great Indian Laughter Challenge||STAR One|
|2008||Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star||STAR Plus|
|2008–2010||Miley Jab Hum Tum||STAR One|
|2008–present||Khatron Ke Khiladi||Colors|
|2008||Chhote Miyan||Colors (TV channel)|
|2009||Ladies Special||Zee TV|
|2009||Raju Hazir Ho||Imagine TV|
|2009–2011||Sabki Laadli Bebo||STAR Plus|
|2010–2011||Geet - Hui Sabse Parayi||STAR One|
|2011–2012||Beend Banoongaa Ghodi Chadhunga||Imagine TV|
|2012||Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star 2||STAR Plus|
|2015–present||Swim Team||Channel V|
|2015–present||The Voice India||&TV|
|2016–present||Minute To Win It||Mazhavil Manorama|
Endemol Australia (formerly "Endemol Southern Star") is an Australian production company which was previously a joint venture of Endemol and Southern Star Group. Endemol purchased Southern Star Group from Fairfax Media in January 2009. It produces Endemol's popular worldwide formats for Australia, including Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, and Ready Steady Cook. It is based in Australia.
Yam112003 is a Multi Channel Network on Youtube operating from Italy. The company was founded in 2004 and first started providing content for mobile devices. After joining Endemol, they started distributing television shows and digital media, becoming the Youtube presence that they are today. As of October 2015, Yam112003 manages more than 130 Youtube channels with more than 75 million total views per month. One such channel is BonsaiTV.
- Auction Kings (produced by Endemol subsidiary Authentic Entertainment)
- Big Brother
- Secret Story (Version of Big Brother, exclusively for TF1, France, TVI, Portugal, and NET 5, Netherlands)
- Changing Rooms
- "Dating In The Dark"
- I Love Money
- Fear Factor (2001–2006; 2011–2012) NBC
- The Big Donor Show
- Star Academy / Fame Academy
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
- The Bus
- The Games
- The Farm
- Nice People
- Only Fools on Horses
- There's Something About Miriam
- Gay, Straight or Taken?
- Kid Nation
- Queen Bees
- Estate of Panic
- Southern Belles: Louisville
- Secret Story: France
- Big Brother: After Dark
- Survivor South Africa
- T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle
- Love in the Wild
Late night/variety shows
- Black Mirror (drama/satire)
- The Fall (Crime drama)
- Peaky Blinders (Crime drama)
- Hell On Wheels (Western)
- Benidorm (Comedy)
- Ripper Street (Crime drama)
- Bad Education (Comedy)
- My Mad Fat Diary (Comedy)
- Graduados (romantic comedy)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- Los exitosos Pells (Comedy)
- Red Widow (crime drama/mystery)
- 1 vs. 100
- 101 Ways to Leave a Gameshow
- The Winner Is
- Break the Bank
- Deal or No Deal
- Fear Factor
- For the Rest of Your Life
- Golden Balls
- In the Grid
- Judas Game
- Midnight Money Madness
- The Million Pound Drop (quiz show)
- Participation TV
- Set for Life
- Show Me the Money
- Take the Cake
- The Almost Impossible Gameshow
- The Bank Job
- Wipeout / Total Wipeout
- XXS – Extra Extra Small
- Wheel of Fortune
- "Telefonica sells Endemol to Mediaset" Earth Times, Mon, May 14, 2007
- "Buyout group owns 99.54 pct of Endemol after offer". Reuters. 2007-08-06.
- Tim Adler in London. "Endemol Shareholders May Be Forced To Inject Fresh Equity Before August Deadline". Deadline.
- "Endemol 'will never repay its £2.2bn debt'". Daily Mail (London). April 25, 2009.
- "Goldman, Berlusconi Set to Lose Endemol Bet: Corporate Finance". Bloomberg (New York). July 1, 2011.
- "Endemol Sets Lenders' Meeting For Next Week". Reuters (London). May 13, 2011.
- "In the air: Endemol UK is late to file accounts". Evening Standard (London). July 31, 2010.
- Martijn van der Starre "Bloomberg News" Mar 26, 2012 Endemol Debt Taken On, Converted Into Shares by Apollo bloomberg.com, Retrieved on January 13, 2014
- Jonathan Webdale "C21 Media" 03-04-2012 Mediaset sells Endemol stake c21media.com, Retrieved on January 13, 2014
- 21st Century Fox & Apollo In Joint Venture Talks For Shine, Endemol And CORE Media NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor deadline.com, Retrieved on May 18, 2014
- "Shine, Endemol, Core Deal Completed". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Endemol buys into Israel's Reshet
- Endemol, Shine & Core Joint Venture Gets Name, Sets More Top Execs, Merges Distribution & International Operations, Nellie Andreeva, The Daily Deadline, Los Angeles, 17 December 2014.Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Fox-Apollo TV Merger Joins “Idol” With “Biggest Loser”, Chris Palmeri, Bloomberg Business, New York, 15 May 2014.Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "Japanese Broadcaster Sues ABC Over "Wipeout"". Archived from the original on January 7, 2009.
- "Endemol to distribute "Hot in Cleveland" from Deadline.com (June 21, 2010)
- "More Diginets, More Content at Newfronts". Broadcasting & Cable. 2015-05-11. p. 4.
- Littleton, Cynthia (2010-08-09). "Endemol to acquire Authentic Entertainment". Variety. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Walsh, Barry (2010-08-09). "Endemol acquires Authentic Entertainment". RealScreen. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Christie, Brendan (2007-04-01). "The Global 100 - Intro & G100 List". RealScreen. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Staff (2008-03-01). "The Global 100". RealScreen. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Gibb, Lindsay; Walsh, Barry (2009-03-01). "The Global 100". RealScreen. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Realscreen Editorial Staff (2010-03-01). "The Global 100". RealScreen. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "Golden Eagle Award". CINE. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "Golden Eagle Award". CINE. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "True Entertainment - Reality TV, Documentaries, Game Shows & Movies". True Entertainment.
- "TLC's "The Good Buy Girls" Sell What's Next to Bring in the Checks". Futon Critic. May 14, 2013. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- Press Services : True Entertainment
- "Endemol to buy Southern Star". C21Media. 2009-01-19.
- "Il network di YAM112003 supera 2 miliardi di views su YouTube. «Il video è il futuro del content marketing»". Engage Contemporary Marketing & Media. 2015-10-23.
- O'Flynn, Kevin (December 4, 2001). "Dutch Firm Warns 'Za Steklom'". The Moscow Times.
- Schossler, Jason (June 2007). "'Deal or No Deal' Sued for Text-Message Game". Archived from the original on September 14, 2008.
- Brookes, Emily (2008-08-29). "New MD, Wipeout commission for Endemol Portugal". c21media.net. C21 Media. Retrieved 2009-03-26.