Endless Night (2015 film)
|Directed by||Isabel Coixet|
|Produced by||Jaume Roures|
|Written by||Miguel Barros|
|Music by||Lucas Vidal|
|Edited by||Elena Ruiz|
New Art Productions
One More Movie
|Distributed by||Filmax (Spain),|
Endless Night (Spanish: Nadie quiere la noche) is a 2015 drama film directed by Isabel Coixet. It was selected to open the 65th Berlin International Film Festival. The film is set in 1908 in Greenland and is an international co-production between Spain, France and Bulgaria. The film premiered with the title Nobody Wants the Night. Following poor reviews and sales the film was recut by Coixet and released under the title Endless Night.
Greenland, 1908. Josephine, the confident and bold wife of the famous Arctic explorer, Robert Peary, embarks on a dangerous journey in pursuit of her husband who is seeking a route to the North Pole. She meets Allaka, an Eskimo girl who is pregnant.
- Rinko Kikuchi as Allaka
- Juliette Binoche as Josephine Peary
- Gabriel Byrne as Bram Trevor
- Matt Salinger as Captain Spalding
- Velizar Binev as Fyodor
- Ciro Miró as Cyrus
The film received negative reviews after its Berlin premiere. Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian gave the film two stars out of five and observed that "[t]he film is possessed of blandly humanistic flavours, new-agey gestures and quaint stereotypes". The Hollywood Reporter called it "inconsistent" and "a mixed bag". In his review for Variety, Guy Lodge wrote that "[the film] is dramatically as pallid and lifeless as the frozen tundra on which it takes place". Indiewire's Jessica Kiang criticized the script and Coixet's direction, adding that "whenever it threatens to find its way, it soon loses it again".
Awards and nominations
|30th Goya Awards||Best Film||Nominated|
|Best Director||Isabel Coixet||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Juliette Binoche||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Jean-Claude Larrieu||Nominated|
|Best Art Direction||Alain Bainée||Nominated|
|Best Production Supervision||Andrés Santana and Marta Miró||Won|
|Best Costume Design||Clara Bilbao||Won|
|Best Makeup and Hairstyles||Pablo Perona, Paco Rodríguez H. and Sylvie Imbert||Won|
|Best Original Score||Lucas Vidal||Won|
- Survival film, about the film genre, with a list of related films
- Barraclough, Leo (9 January 2015). "Berlin Film Festival to Open with Juliette Binoche Starrer 'Nobody Wants the Night'". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Isabel Coixet's Nobody Wants the Night to Open the 65th Berlinale". Berlinale. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Endless Night - Metro Films International". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Peter Bradshaw. "Berlin 2015 review: Nobody Wants the Night – Juliette Binoche's Arctic role requires more defrosting". the Guardian. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Boyd van Hoeij (5 February 2015). "'Nobody Wants the Night': Berlin Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Guy Lodge. "'Nobody Wants the Night' Review: Juliette Binoche, Rinko Kikuchi Get Snowbound - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Jessica Kiang (5 February 2015). "Berlin Review: Isabel Coixet's 'Nobody Wants The Night' S - The Playlist". The Playlist. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- SensaCine. "Nadie quiere la noche: Críticas de prensa". SensaCine.com. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "'The Bride' Leads Spain's Goya Award Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 December 2015.