|Endodonta lamellosa shells|
This family, which includes both snails and slugs, appears to have once been much more diverse, but has declined, and is now endangered due to human activity.
Distribution and conservation status
This family is found only in the Pacific islands. The family is critically endangered and on the verge of extinction, mainly because of habitat loss due to human development. On American Samoa, some species are in decline due to predation by introduced fire ants. On Rurutu in French Polynesia the family is only known by subfossil shells. At least 18 endemic species are known of which four were described in 2009 and eight were described as new to science in 2013. Only one of them survived into the first half of the 20th century. Most of them became extinct due to the degradation of their habitats.
The family Endodontidae has no subfamilies.
- Endodonta Albers, 1850 - type genus of the family Endodontidae
- Pilsbry H. A. (1895). Manual of Conchology. Second series: Pulmonata (2)9(33a): xxi.
- Barker G. M.: Gastropods on Land: Phylogeny, Diversity and Adaptive Morphology. in Barker G. M. (ed.): The biology of terrestrial molluscs. CABI Publishing, Oxon, UK, 2001, ISBN 0-85199-318-4. 1-146, cited pages: 139 and 142.
- Samoan Snail Catalog
- Sartori et al (2013): Anthropogenic extinction of Pacific land snails: A case study of Rurutu, French Polynesia, with description of eight new species of endodontids (Pulmonata) In: Zootaxa 3640 (3): 343–372
- Zimmermann G., Gargominy O. & Fontaine B. 2009. — Quatre espèces nouvelles d’Endodontidae (Mollusca, Pulmonata) éteints de Rurutu (Îles Australes, Polynésie française). Zoosystema 31 (4) : 791-805. (in French)
- Bouchet P.; Rocroi J.-P.; Frýda J.; Hausdorf B.; Ponder W.; Valdés Á. & Warén A. (2005). "Classification and nomenclator of gastropod families". Malacologia: International Journal of Malacology. Hackenheim, Germany: ConchBooks. 47 (1-2): 1–397. ISBN 3-925919-72-4. ISSN 0076-2997.
- Powell A. W. B. New Zealand Mollusca. William Collins Publishers Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand 1979 ISBN 0-00-216906-1.
- Solem A. (29 October 1976) Endodontoid land snails from Pacific Islands (Mollusca: Pulmonata: Sigmurethra). Part I. Family Endodontidae. Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Endodontidae.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Endodontidae|
|This Endodontidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|