Endpoint security or Endpoint Protection is a technology that takes an upper hand to protect computer networks that are remotely bridged to users' devices. The use of laptops, tablets, mobile devices and other wireless gadgets connected with corporate networks creates vulnerability paths for security threats. Endpoint security attempts to ensure that such devices follow a definite level of compliance and standards.
Corporate network security
Endpoint security management systems is a software approach that helps to identify and manage the users' computers to gain access over the corporate network. This involves the network administrator to restrict certain website access to the user in order to maintain and comply with the organization's policies and standards. The components involved in aligning the endpoint security management systems include a VPN client, an operating system and an updated antivirus software. Computer devices that are not in compliance with the organization's policy are provisioned with limited access on a virtual LAN.
Client and server model
Endpoint security systems operate on a client–server model with the security program controlled by a centrally managed host server pinned[clarification needed] with a client program which is installed on all the network drives. There is yet another model called the software-as-a-service (SaaS), the security programs and the host server are maintained remotely by the merchant. The contribution from both the delivery model is that the server program verifies and authenticates the user login credentials and performs a device scan to check if it complies with a designated corporate security standards prior to permit network access.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)|
- "Endpoint Security Management overview". Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "What is endpoint security and how does it work". Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "What is Endpoint Security?". Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "Endpoint Security & Network protection". Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "Endpoint Security Standard". 2015-10-07.
- Endpoint Security and Compliance Management Design Guide. Redbooks. 2015-10-07.
- "Centrally Managed Host Server". Microsoft. 2015-10-07.
- "Client-Server Security". Exforsys.
- "PCI and Data Security Standard" (pdf). 2015-10-07.