Enfield Lock railway station
View southward, towards Tottenham Hale and London
Location of Enfield Lock in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Enfield|
|Managed by||Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
Enfield Lock railway station is in the London Borough of Enfield in north east London, and is in Travelcard Zone 6, on the Tottenham Hale branch of the Lea Valley Lines, on the West Anglian Railway. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Abellio Greater Anglia.
Enfield Lock was the main station for the Royal Small Arms Factory until its closure in the late 1980s, and now serves the large housing development on the site known as Enfield Island Village, as well as the nearby Innova Science and Business park.
The railway line from Stratford to Broxbourne was opened by the Northern & Eastern Railway on 15 September 1840. The station itself was opened by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1855 as Ordnance Factory, later renamed in 1886 to Enfield Lock.
The lines through Enfield Lock were electrified on 5 May 1969. Prior to the completion of electrification in 1969, passenger services between Cheshunt and London Liverpool Street through Enfield Lock station were normally operated by Class 125 diesel multiple units (which had been purpose-built for the line in 1958).
- "London and South East" (PDF). National Rail. September 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 March 2009.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Chronology of London Railways by H.V.Borley
- Brown, Joe, London Railway Atlas, page 5, Ian Allan Publishing, 2006
- White, H.P., A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Volume 3 Greater London, David & Charles, 1987
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enfield Lock railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Lea Valley Lines
|Angel Road (Mon-Fri) or
Northumberland Park (Mon-Sat) or
West Anglia Main Line
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
towards Hertford East