Engin Akyürek (born 12 October 1981) is a Turkish actor, screenwriter and author. Akyürek began his acting career in the year 2004. Having starred in many critically acclaimed series and movies, Akyürek is regarded as one of Turkey's most successful and highest paid actors.
Akyürek received no official schooling for acting, stage or screen. Yet, he had a passion for writing and drama. He graduated from the history department of the language-history and geography faculty at Ankara University before he took part in the Türkiye'nin Yıldızları (Turkey's Stars) TV contest for acting. He was one of the stars of the contest alongside Beren Saat, who went on to become one of the most famous actresses of Turkish TV dramas. He received his first leading role in Bir Bulut Olsam, in which he played the role of Mustafa Bulut. His spectacular portrayal of the character bought the series into attention of audience.
Engin Akyürek is well known for portraying many lead roles in TV series, such as Kerim Ilgaz in Fatmagül'ün Suçu Ne?, Omer Demir Kara Para Aşk, and Sancar in Sefirin Kızı. His role as Omer in Kara Para Aşk led to him winning the best actor award in Seoul International Drama Awards (2015) and a nomination for best performance by an actor at the International Emmy Awards.
Apart from television, Akyürek has also starred in movies. His debut film was Kader, in which he starred as Cevat. He also played the role of Tekin in the film Bi Küçük Eylül Meselesi, written and directed by Kerem Deren. Over the years, Akyürek established his name as one of Turkey's most popular actors with his acting skills. He is also the Brand Ambassadors of Shell and Disney+ Türkiye.
Early life and education
Engin Akyürek was born on 12 October 1981 in Ankara, Turkey. His family is Muslim and is from Tercan, Erzincan, Turkey. His father is a government official and his mother is a homemaker. He has a younger brother. Akyürek graduated from the Ankara University Department Of History in 2002, where he had expertise in Languages and History.
"Acting is not just putting on a costume and saying your lines" 
"I don't believe in luck, or chance. It is important to have talent and substance. Actually, luck, talent, and doing the right thing at the right time is what makes us. But, the most important, distinguishing factor is talent."
In 2004, two years after graduating from university, Engin Akyürek took part in the Turkiye’nin Yildizlari (Turkey's Star) TV competition. His first place win in this competition landed him a supporting role in the TV series, Yabancı Damat (2004–2007), produced by Yagmur Taylan and Durul Taylan. In Yabancı Damat, he worked with many cinema and stage veterans like Erdal Özyağcılar and Zeki Alasya along with young stars such as İlker Aksum and Binnur Kaya. He appeared in all 106 episodes of the show becoming a regular face for TV spectators. The TV series became popular in Greece as well, reflecting the warm Turkish-European relations at that time. The show began in 2004 and made its finale in 2007. His first film debut was Zeki Demirkubuz's Kader (2006). For his portrayal of Cevat in this film, Engin Akyürek received the "Most Promising Actor" award for both the Turkish Cinema Awards and for CASOD (Cagdas Sinema Oyuncuları Dernegi) Awards in 2006. Thereafter, he starred in the role of Nizipli Halim in the TV series, Karayilan (2007–2008), a story that took place in Gaziantep, during the French Occupation. Akyürek received his first leading role and played the male psychotic lover, Mustafa Bulut, in the Kanal D TV series Bir Bulut Olsam, written by Meral Okay and directed by Ulaş İnanc. His spectacular portrayal of the character brought the series into limelight.
From 2010 to 2012, Akyürek solidified his position in the industry when he played the male lead, Kerim Ilgaz, in Fatmagül'ün Suçu Ne?, a TV series about societal issues surrounding a rape victim. The original scenario of Fatmagul'ün Suçu Ne? by Vedat Türkali, is written by Ece Yörenç and Melek Gençoğlu for TV drama and produced by Kerem Çatay. He was in the lead role with his friend from the Türkiye'nin Yıldızları contest, Beren Saat. After a small break, he came and starred as the leading character, Tekin, in the movie Bi Küçük Eylül Meselesi (2014), written and directed by Kerem Deren. The movie takes place in Bozcaada. Thereafter, Akyürek returned to the TV screens and portrayed the character of Ömer Demir in the popular TV series Kara Para Aşk in 2014 for which he won the Best Actor award at the Seoul International Drama Awards (2015) and was nominated for the International Emmy Award for Best Actor. After Kara Para Aşk, Akyürek took a break from acting for some time and returned to small screen with his next series Ölene Kadar in January 2017. It was produced by TIMS and written by Elif Usman and Sevgi Yılmaz.
Akyürek's next projects were movies, first one being Çocuklar Sana Emanet (Children Entrusted to You) released on 23 March 2018. It was written and directed by Çağan Irmak and produced by Şükrü Avşar. Akyürek's next venture on the silver screen was the movie Bir Aşk İki Hayat (One Love Two Lives) in 2019. It was produced by Ay Yapım and written by Burcu Görgün Toptaş and Özlem Yılmaz, whereas Ali Bilgin did the direction. The movie was an adaptation of a Greek movie and was released on 13 February 2019. Between 2019-2021 Akyürek to the small screen with his series Sefirin Kızı (The Ambassador's Daughter) from December 2019 to May 2021. The series was a joint production of O3 Medya and NGM and was aired on Star TV, and was written by Nehir Erdem and Ayşe Ferda Eryılmaz and directed by Emre Kabakuşak. He starred in the series with Neslihan Atagül and Tuba Büyüküstün after Atagul left the show in between due to health reasons. This was his second series with Buyüküstun.
In 2022, Engin Akyürek stars alongside Tolga Saritas in the film Yolun Açik Olsun (Godspeed), directed by Mehmet Ada Öztekin, released on Netflix.. Also Engin made his OTT debut by starring in the debuting Disney+'s series Kaçış, in the lead role with İrem Helvacıoğlu. The story of the series was written by Akyürek himself. The first season received positive reviews from critics, and Akyürek received critical acclaim for both his acting and for writing the story of the series.
|A Small September Affair||2014||Tekin Bulut (Tek)||Leading role|
|Çocuklar Sana Emanet||2018||Kerem||Leading role|
|Bir Aşk İki Hayat||2019||Umut Atay||Leading role|
|Godspeed||2022||Captain Salih Çetin||Leading role|
|Yabancı Damat||2004–2007||Kadir Sadıkoğlu||Supporting role|
|Karayilan||2007–2008||Nizipli Halim||Supporting role|
|Bir Bulut Olsam||2008–2009||Mustafa Bulut||Leading role|
|Fatmagül'ün Suçu Ne?||2010–2012||Kerim Ilgaz||Leading role|
|Kara Para Aşk||2014–2015||Ömer Demir||Leading role|
|Ölene Kadar||2017||Dağhan Soysür||Leading role|
|Sefirin Kızı||2019–2021||Sancar Efeoğlu||Leading role|
|Benim Adım Farah||TBA||Tahir||Leading role|
|Romantika Muzikali||2007||Ceto||Leading role|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Film Writers Association Awards||Promising Actor||Kader||Won|
|2007||ÇASOD Acting Awards||Promising Actor||Won|
|2011||Kadir Has University Most Special Names of the Year||Most Special TV Actor||Fatmagül'ün Suçu Ne?||Won|
|TelevizyonDizisi.com The Best Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|2012||AyakliGazete.com Television Stars of the Year||Best Drama Actor||Won|
|TelevizyonDizisi.com The Best Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|2014||TelevizyonDizisi.com The Best Awards||Best Actor||Kara Para Aşk||Won|
|2015||Uludağ University 10th Marconi Awards||Best TV Actor||Won|
|Seoul International Drama Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|International Emmy Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|4th Crystal Mouth Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|2017||44th Golden Butterfly Awards||Miracle Makers||Won|
|Peru Latina Turkish Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|2019||24th Sadri Alışık Awards||Ayhan Işık Special Award||Won|
|2020||3rd International İzmir Film Festival||Best Actor||Sefirin Kızı||Won|
- "Engin Akyürek Shell'de, Kalitesinin Verdiği Güvenle Shell Hep İleride!". www.shell.com.tr (in Turkish). Archived from the original on 2022-08-14. Retrieved 2022-10-24.
- "Disney Plus Turkey unveils Brand Ambassadors". dizilah.com. Retrieved 2022-10-24.
- "Engin Akyürek Kimdir?".
- "ENGÝN AKYÜREK KÝMDÝR / 2 - Hürriyet". Kelebekgaleri.hurriyet.com.tr. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Engin Akyürek Kimdir?".
- "ENGÝN AKYÜREK KÝMDÝR / 12 - Hürriyet". Kelebekgaleri.hurriyet.com.tr. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "ENGÝN AKYÜREK KÝMDÝR / 8 - Hürriyet". Kelebekgaleri.hurriyet.com.tr. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Dizilerimiz". Erler Film. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "SİYAD Ödülleri'ne Reha Erdem damgası". Kurumsalhaberler.com. Archived from the original on 2018-06-14. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Milliyet İnternet haber, finans, spor, astroloji, sağlık, hava durumu, sinema, televizyon, video, tatil, galeri, emlak, araba, seri ilan, oyun sitesi". Sanat.milliyet.com.tr. Archived from the original on 2012-05-02. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "bi kucuk Eylul meselesi". Bikucukeylulmeselesi.com. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- "Engin Akyürek and Tuba Büyüküstün's new tv series: Kara Para Aşk". 2014-03-23. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Engin Akyürek'ten Güzel Haber Geldi".
- "21:00 Romantika müzikali". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "SİYAD Ödülleri 2006 - SİYAD - Sinema Yazarları Derneği". siyad.org. 1 May 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "ÇASOD Sinema Ödülleri sahiplerini buldu - KÜLTÜR Haberleri". haber7.com. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "2011 Yılının En HAS İsimleri Açıklandı | Kadir Has Üniversitesi". khas.edu.tr. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "atv'ye ödül yağmuru - Sabah". Sabah. 6 May 2015. Archived from the original on 9 May 2015. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "2015 서울드라마 어워즈' 이영애, 이민호, 이병훈, 한류스타공로상-한류공로대상 수상". news1.kr. 11 September 2015. Archived from the original on 19 November 2015.
- "Engin Akyürek'ten güzel haber - Magazin Haberleri". Hürriyet. 11 September 2015.
- "Engin Akyürek Emmy'i alamadı - Magazin Haberleri". Hürriyet. 24 November 2015. Archived from the original on 14 January 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "4. Kristal Fare Ödülleri açıklandı! - Son Dakika Magazin Haberleri". Vatan. 17 November 2015. Archived from the original on 18 November 2015. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "44. Pantene Altın Kelebek Ödülleri kazananları ödülleri belli oldu...İşte kazananlar listesi". Hürriyet. 11 December 2017. Archived from the original on 18 February 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "Engin Akyürek'e Peru'dan ödül! - Magazin Haberleri". Milliyet. 25 January 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "24. Sadri Alışık Tiyatro ve Sinema Ödülleri sahiplerini buldu". CNN Türk. 7 May 2019. Archived from the original on 7 May 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- "İzmir Film Festivali 2020 | 2019-2020 İzmir Film Festivali Galeri". izmirfilmfest.org. Archived from the original on 30 October 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2021.