Gardner at the 2016 Olympics
|Born||April 22, 1992|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
|Height||5 ft 6 in (168 cm)|
|Weight||54 kg (119 lb)|
|Event(s)||100 metres, 200 metres|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||100 m: 10.74 s (2016)|
200 m: 22.62 s (2013)
English Gardner (born April 22, 1992) is an American track and field sprinter who specializes in the 100-meter dash. Her personal best of 10.74 seconds, set in 2016, ranks her in the top ten all-time for the distance.
She was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Voorhees Township, New Jersey, where she graduated from Eastern Regional High School as part of the class of 2010. While running for the University of Oregon, in 2011 she set what should be the American junior record in the 100 metres at 11.03 (+0.6) set while winning the Pac-10 Championships. Her mark is superior to the listed record by Angela Williams from 1999, but that mark has not yet been ratified. She was a five-time NCAA champion with the Oregon Ducks track and field team, winning two 100 m titles, two 4×400 m titles, and an indoor 60 m dash title.
Gardner qualified for the 2013 World Championships in Athletics in Moscow after winning the 100 m at the 2013 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Her time of 10.85 equalled the best time run in 2013 to that date by Barbara Pierre set earlier that same day in a semi-final. In Moscow, Gardner just missed the podium with a fourth-place finish in the 100 metres with a time of 10.97. She was a silver medalist with the United States in the 4×100-meter relay.
Gardner won the 100 meters at the 2016 United States Olympic Trials in a time of 10.74 (+1.0). In addition to qualifying her for the 2016 Olympics, the time tied Merlene Ottey as the seventh fastest competitor in history. Gardner finished 7th running 10.94 (Wind: +0.5 m/s) at Athletics at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 100 metres and won gold in 41.01 Athletics at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 4 × 100 metres relay.
- 100-meter dash – 10.74 (2016)
- 200-meter dash – 22.62 (2013)
- 400-meter dash – 53.98 (2006)
- 60-meter dash indoor – 7.12 (2012)
- 200-meter dash indoor – 23.34 (2012)
- USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- 100-meter dash: 2013, 2016
- NCAA Women's Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- 100-meter dash: 2012, 2013
- NCAA Women's Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships
- 60-meter dash: 2012
|2013||World Championships||Moscow, Russia||4th||100 m||10.97|
|2nd||4 × 100 m relay||42.75|
|2015||World Championships||Beijing, China||14th (sf)||100 m||11.13|
|2nd||4 × 100 m relay||41.68|
|2016||Summer Games||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||7th||100 m||10.94|
- 100 Metres – women – senior – outdoor All time best. IAAF. Retrieved on July 27, 2015.
- English Gardner. USA Track and Field. Retrieved on July 27, 2015.
- English Gardner, United States Olympic Committee. Accessed August 10, 2016. "Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pa.; Hometown: Voorhees, N.J.; High School: Eastern Regional Senior High School (Voorhees, N.J.) '09"
- English Gardner. Oregon Ducks. Retrieved on July 27, 2015.
- Track and field: English Gardner 4th in women's 100 meters at world championships. OregonLive.com (August 12, 2013). Retrieved on 2016-08-20.
- USA Track & Field – Results – FULL. Usatf.org. Retrieved on August 20, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to English Gardner.|