Englos in the arrondissement of Lille
|Intercommunality||Métropole Européenne de Lille|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Henri Leturgie|
|Area1||1.35 km2 (0.52 sq mi)|
|• Density||380/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||59195 /59320|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Englos is located west of Lille and about 10 km from the Belgian-French border. The village is surrounded by undeveloped land. The built up area is not continuous with the centre of Lille.
The name, Englos, is of uncertain origin but may have derive from the d'Englos family, which owned some of the land before the 15th century. Subsequently, it fell into the control of the Ghent (Belgium) government until around the time of the French Revolution. It had a church built by the Benedictine monk in the 16th century which was later owned by Jesuits. The church was designated a historic building in 1921.
Later, the Duhamel family managed the largest farm in the village. The farm ceased production in 1969 when a commercial zone was established east of the village. Englos was a small agricultural village until the end of the 20th century. The development of the A25 highway contributed to its development as a residential community.
|The arms of Englos are blazoned :
Sable, an inescutcheon argent.
|From the year 1968 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
- http://www.englos.com/pages_histoire/index_histoire.html then click link to "population"
- http://www.englos.com/pages_histoire/index_histoire.html reference in French
- "Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui". site de l'École des hautes études en sciences sociales. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "Évolution et structure de la population" (PDF). INSEE. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "Recensement de la population au 1 janvier 2007". INSEE. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- http://www.auchan.fr, Retrouvez votre magasin and enter postal code 59320
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Englos.|
|This Nord geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|