Enjoy Yourself (It's Later than You Think)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
Well known recorded versions
The most popular version of the song, recorded by Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians, was made on November 27 (some sources give November 28), 1949. The recording was released by Decca Records as catalog number 24825. The record first reached the Billboard record chart on January 13, 1950, and lasted 19 weeks on the chart, peaking at number 10.
Other notable recorded versions
- Bing Crosby
- Barry Martyn
- Donald Peers (with The Cherokeys)
- Louis Prima & Keely Smith
- Todd Snider on East Nashville Skyline in 2004
- Maxine Sullivan
- Wingless Angels
- Eric Allandale
- The Busters
- The Specials
- Manu Chao
- Kermit Ruffins and the Rebirth Brass Band on Throwback (2005)
- Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra
- Jolie Holland
- Australian jazz/folk group Flap! on their second album A Great Day for the Race (2012)
In popular culture
- The 2003 recording by Jools Holland and Prince Buster is used by Simon Mayo as the opening theme to his Drivetime show on BBC Radio 2. The show also occasionally uses the Guy Lombardo recording as an opening theme to the second hour.
- A group of ghosts dance to this song in a scene in the Woody Allen film Everyone Says I Love You.
- The recording by Rising Sun Steel Band featured in the film Surf's Up.
- The cover version by The Specials is used as the theme tune to both the radio and television versions of the BBC program, I've Never Seen Star Wars.
- A Cantonese version of the refrain was used as the opening theme to Enjoy Yourself Tonight (歡樂今宵), a popular, long-running variety show in Hong Kong.
- Anne Dudek briefly performs the song in Season 5, Episode 23 of the television series House, "Under My Skin"; the Louis Prima version is featured at the end of the series finale episode, "Everybody Dies".
- A rendition of the song was used to close the first two series' of The Brian Conley Show, whilst an instrumental version was used for the third.
- The song is repeatedly referenced by the end of the first episode of the British series Party Animals.
- A ukulele version of this song accompanies a scene in the BBC biopic of Neil Baldwin "Marvellous"
- On October 31, 2015 the Trey Anastasio Band performed the song at the Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas, NV.
- "Enjoy Yourself - Maxine Sullivan | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. 1978-02-10. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Whitburn, Joel (1973). Top Pop Records 1940-1955. Record Research.
- "Enjoy Yourself - Bing Crosby,Bob Crosby | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. 2000-05-23. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think) - The Specials | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Enjoy Yourself - Jools Holland,Prince Buster | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. 2004-07-20. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Enjoy Yourself - Jolie Holland | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. 2008-10-07. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "iTunes - Music - Flap!". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Friends 3 - Jools Holland | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-02-06.